Use Stimulus Funds to Buy RCL Stock...?

Jim Cramer addressed this issue yesterday.  Yes, I know, some love him and some hate him.  He pointed out that factually, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian were the second and third worst performers in the S&P index.  He went on to give an unqualified "stay away" for both.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thinking of using our combined $2400 to buy 100 shares of RCL stock at around $22 & 100 shares of CCL stock at $8, around $3000 total.

So that considered re-investing into the economy...?

Unless RCL is selling you those shares directly, the money you spend does not end up in RCL's coffers.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Unless RCL is selling you those shares directly, the money you spend does not end up in RCL's coffers.  

The banks and companies all did the same thing under the Obama stimulus. That is why they are putting restrictions on the funds now. Some probably do not want the money. If I was going to use the money to gamble I'd wait for a lower price. No rush with the ways things are going. 

14 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

The banks and companies all did the same thing under the Obama stimulus. That is why they are putting restrictions on the funds now. Some probably do not want the money. If I was going to use the money to gamble I'd wait for a lower price. No rush with the ways things are going. 

Even if you bought your own shares of RCL, they would not see any of that investment.  The person selling it would see it.  

Way over 90% of shares bought are trades, and not directly from the company.  

So if you want to buy RCL, do it for your personal investment potential.  If you want to help RCI, go on a cruise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Jim Cramer addressed this issue yesterday.  Yes, I know, some love him and some hate him.  He pointed out that factually, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian were the second and third worst performers in the S&P index.  He went on to give an unqualified "stay away" for both.

Hm, if Cramer is giving an unqualified "stay away," I may have to rethink my no-way-in-hell would I buy these stocks 🙂

• Like 2

Isn't the stimulus funds only for the ones that need  it, like the ones that lost their jobs? Maybe this is only for US?

In Canada, only the ones that lost their jobs are getting stimulus funds, rightly so. The ones that are still working does not need help.

37 minutes ago, Jesseslola2 said:

Wow, that's a lot of money to give away to some people who do not need them. No wonder it is 2.2 trillion.

Well, "need" is subjective.  Lots of people have jobs but still live paycheck to paycheck, and for those people, they will likely spend the stimulus money in the economy, and that is the point.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

If both stocks keeps going lower, we might just add the entire $14K to both of our IRAs to buy both companies.

Figure that's the smart move to offset our stupid decision to book a cruise for May...

$14K🤔

2 hours ago, Jesseslola2 said:

Wow, that's a lot of money to give away to some people who do not need them. No wonder it is 2.2 trillion.

Please don't make statements about something you know nothing about.

• Like 1

Not sure any cruise line stock is a wise investment right now. If they go through Chapter 11 bankruptcy, you could be left with nothing. I wouldn’t buy unless you’re OK taking that risk. 

4 hours ago, Jesseslola2 said:

Isn't the stimulus funds only for the ones that need  it, like the ones that lost their jobs? Maybe this is only for US?

In Canada, only the ones that lost their jobs are getting stimulus funds, rightly so. The ones that are still working does not need help.

It should be just for the ones that need it, but there is always abuse.

4 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

All adult Americans, get the $1,200 check, if you make less than $100K.

If someone is making even close to that amount they shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. They don't know how to spend their money wisely.

4 hours ago, Jesseslola2 said:

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

Please don't make statements about something you know nothing about.

Jezseslola is right. That's a lot of money and there will unfortunately be plenty of abuse. It's our dysfunctional government at work. They should have better stipulations on it than for anyone making under 75k or something like that. We don't qualify for it and even if we did we wouldn't take it. I'd be embarrassed to and I haven't worked in 10 years by choice.

OP, if you want to invest wisely then I don't think cruise line stock is the way to go, but the govt is giving it to you so do what you want to.

Edited by ReneeFLL

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

It should be just for the ones that need it, but there is always abuse.

If someone is making even close to that amount they shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. They don't know how to spend their money wisely.

Jezseslola is right. That's a lot of money and there will unfortunately be plenty of abuse. It's our dysfunctional government at work. They should have better stipulations on it than for anyone making under 75k or less than 150k per couple. We don't qualify for it and even if we did we wouldn't take it. I'd be embarrassed to and I haven't worked in 10 years by choice.

OP, if you want to invest wisely then I don't think cruise line stock is the way to go, but the govt is giving it to you so do what you want to.

@ReneeFLL respectfully disagree.  My best friend, my old college roommate, just lost his job today after 15 years with the company..  He has 4 children.  This stimulus is much needed.  I'm a small business owner and if it weren't for the government and banks assistance I don't know if I could survive.  God bless our government and banks.

• Like 5