Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

Oceania  has said it can take up to 90  days to refund to your credit card and then two departments are sending out the credits so you may get it in two parts

Jancruz1

We got our deposit refund in four or five days. Transactions like that are simply a matter of entering a small amount of data and pressing a button. They would do themselves a favor if they got cracking on that. An anecdote: in '89 when we had the earthquake the computers that did the pay roll were down. People hand wrote checks for us. I'm getting a sense that these companies that tout their wonderful hospitality AREN'T. 

18 minutes ago, WaterView2 said:

We cancelled a multi-cabin family cruise on March 12th, received all the credits on credit card on March 24th, a little longer than usual but given the circumstances acceptable.

When was your  cruise ?

Was this  after final payment ?

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

so I am confused

You want your insurer to pay your claim now   then  you will also get a refund from Oceania because they cancelled the cruise ??

Or did you cancel your cruise  & lose  all money paid to Oceania?

No, you have it wrong. We filed a claim for HEALTH REASONS......after we filed, Oceania cancelled our cruise. I am asking our Travel Insurer to pay our claim and we will GLADLY assign our refund from Oceania over to the insurer. THIS IS STANDARD INSURANCE INDUSTRY PROCEDURE AND IS INCLUDED IN OUR POLICY. The problem is that the insurer DOESN'T WANT to assume our refund from Oceania...they want to put our claim on "hold" to see if Oceania will pay our refund.....which we will have  to wait 90 days to get. I want the insurer to pay NOW based on a legitimate health related cancellation. I paid for Trip Cancellation insurance for this very reason...........they are dragging their feet.  

Edited by Pster55

12 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

No, you have it wrong. We filed a claim for HEALTH REASONS......after we filed, Oceania cancelled our cruise. I am asking our Travel Insurer to pay our claim and we will GLADLY assign our refund from Oceania over to the insurer. THIS IS STANDARD INSURANCE INDUSTRY PROCEDURE AND IS INCLUDED IN OUR POLICY. The problem is that the insurer DOESN'T WANT to assume our refund from Oceania...they want to put our claim on "hold" to see if Oceania will pay our refund.....which we will have  to wait 90 days to get. I want the insurer to pay NOW based on a legitimate health related cancellation. I paid for Trip Cancellation insurance for this very reason...........they are dragging their feet.  

So the gripe is with the insurance   more than Oceania

Did you get a cancellation invoice from O  showing the amount they will refund ?

There is  no need to shout at me  I am trying to figure out what your  complaint was about 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

Your profile doesn't cite your location. But, if you live in California (or another state/province with equally robust consumer protections), you could complain to the Insurance Commission about your perceived injustice. From personal experience, citing a "...ca.gov" consumer complaint number in future correspondences lights a fire under many slow moving companies.

BTW, this is one of the reasons why, among other questions, I always ask TAs if they are registered in California as "sellers of travel."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your profile doesn't cite your location. But, if you live in California (or another state/province with equally robust consumer protections), you could complain to the Insurance Commission about your perceived injustice. From personal experience, citing a "...ca.gov" consumer complaint number in future correspondences lights a fire under many slow moving companies.

BTW, this is one of the reasons why, among other questions, I always ask TAs if they are registered in California as "sellers of travel."

I don't live in California and there is nothing "percieved" - I wrote what they told me. I have written a letter to the VP Mgr Travel Claims. I don't expect him to respond as they are hiding/silent. The size of my claim doesn't warrant litigation and since they have clearly insured me against non-payment of any refund from Oceania I can't do anything for 90+ days even if I wanted to. I have requested expedited processing. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, Pster55 said:

Your insurance company, rightfully, wants proof of loss. A "promise" by you to " assign our refund from Oceania " to them is not going to hold any water. Just bad timing for you.

Hmmmm. wait a minute. I *assume* you cancelled you booking before O cancelled the cruise - correct? But you wrote "to see if Oceania will pay our refund.....which we will have  to wait 90 days to get." (bolding mine). That implies you are expecting to get a refund.  And you wrote "the insurer DOESN'T WANT to assume our refund from Oceania". Again it sounds like there will be a refund coming from O to you. So did you you cancel your booking before O cancelled the cruise? Did you actually cancel the booking before you filed an insurance claim?

In any event, I agree with LHT28 that this sounds like an insurance issue. Maybe better responses on the insurance board than here.

Edited by YoHoHo

20 minutes ago, pintolvr@aol.com said:

I requested a refund to my credit card on March 20 and received on March 28.  Much quicker than I would have guessed.  I am grateful.

When was your cruise   & did you pay the final payment ?

It would be nice for people  touting they got a refund in x number of days  they would provide if  you  were under deposit only  or paid in full  etc..

details details 

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

When was your cruise   & did you pay the final payment ?

It would be nice for people  touting they got a refund in x number of days  they would provide if  you  were under deposit only  or paid in full  etc..

details details 

So sorry.  Cruise was Apr. 1, 2020.  Paid in full Dec. 28.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Your insurance company, rightfully, wants proof of loss. A "promise" by you to " assign our refund from Oceania " to them is not going to hold any water. Just bad timing for you.

Hmmmm. wait a minute. I *assume* you cancelled you booking before O cancelled the cruise - correct? But you wrote "to see if Oceania will pay our refund.....which we will have  to wait 90 days to get." (bolding mine). That implies you are expecting to get a refund.  And you wrote "the insurer DOESN'T WANT to assume our refund from Oceania". Again it sounds like there will be a refund coming from O to you. So did you you cancel your booking before O cancelled the cruise? Did you actually cancel the booking before you filed an insurance claim?

In any event, I agree with LHT28 that this sounds like an insurance issue. Maybe better responses on the insurance board than here.

I am guessing here  but if the cruise was May 9th  & they cancelled  last week  they should be getting  a 25%  refund from O

But  the insurer  would want to see proof of what they are getting before issuing  a refund

At least  when we have had a claim  here in Canada I have to supply ALL supporting documents  showing any refunds by the cruise line etc..

I’m concerned somewhat regarding my refund. Oceania canceled my May 1st cruise on March 30 and my TA called that day to ask if we wanted the FCC or a refund.  I took the refund and she said it would take 4-6 weeks.  I never received anything from Oceania stating the amount of my refund or that it was being processed.  My TA told me the exact amount I would be credited but she knows that from her records.  Should I call Oceania to verify this?  I’m worried now NCL could file chapter 11.

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am guessing here  but if the cruise was May 9th  & they cancelled  last week  they should be getting  a 25%  refund from O

But  the insurer  would want to see proof of what they are getting before issuing  a refund

At least  when we have had a claim  here in Canada I have to supply ALL supporting documents  showing any refunds by the cruise line etc..

No.....at the time we submitted our claim to our Travel Insurer we had NOT cancelled our cruise for either a FCC or refund, and Oceania had not cancelled the cruise either. Oceania cancelled the cruise TWO DAYS after we mailed our claim to the Travel Insurer via registered mail. We were fearful that if we elected a refund from Oceania prior to submitting our insurance claim, or even afterwards (which we have to do by April 15th) the Travel Insurer would balk at paying our claim until much later, if at all - which is exactly what they appear to be doing becasue they refused subrogation. Insurers always want to be the "last to pay" so their delays in procesing claims has had the effect of forcing us to have to tell Oceania we wanted a refund. Our claim to the Travel Insurer was health related and had nothing to do with COVID-19. We finally told Oceania today we wanted a refund. Pretty sure the Insurer will now put our claim on hold. Our health related claim is a slam dunk. I will never buy travel insurance again...it's a scam. I think everyone is going to hear a lot of stories like this in the year ahead. 

Edited by Pster55

10 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

I’m concerned somewhat regarding my refund. Oceania canceled my May 1st cruise on March 30 and my TA called that day to ask if we wanted the FCC or a refund.  I took the refund and she said it would take 4-6 weeks.  I never received anything from Oceania stating the amount of my refund or that it was being processed.  My TA told me the exact amount I would be credited but she knows that from her records.  Should I call Oceania to verify this?  I’m worried now NCL could file chapter 11.

Surprised your TA said 4-6 weeks. Our Mar 31 cruise cancelled on Mar 13. O's email (to TA) said "up to 90 days" if refund was requested (from when request was made). The is no email on the amount of refund as I suspect the work to accomplish that is almost the same amount of work as to process the refund. Some folks, like me, there are different cards involved too (deposit on one, FP on another, ancillary charges on another ). As you have an Agent, O will not speak with you regarding money matters but might be able to reassure you it is work in progress and no statement has been issued.

Seems you are not alone fearing the CLs will go bankrupt. I have been reading some financial pages as I think better analysis and facts (though rampant speculation can be had there too, of course). That said,  perhaps your credit card can help out in that case - I honestly don't know how that would work  - if maybe just a lowly creditor or maybe CC can tap into a bond (end of my rampant speculation).

18 hours ago, Pster55 said:

Nope, I don't read the roll calls for cruises other than my own, nor will I, and I haven't read of any cash refunds actually received over the past month. Your reply to my post REAKS of Travel Advisor marketing.....calling you out.....you are a TA or Oceania employee. Seems there are those on this web site that don't get the "critic" part of "cruisecritic.com". 

Well I received full refund and cutie

Cruise credits for my Asia and awaiting the secondary.... Yes Oceania is handling it be patient

6 hours ago, Pster55 said:

Personally, I don't buy it. Refunds to a credit card can be done literally in minutes. I find it the height of hypocrisy that Oceania can say refunds take 90 days when you can still go onto their web site and sign up - and pay - for future cruises in seconds. Travel Insurance providers are now saying the same thing - it will take us 4-6 weeks to process claims. This is obviously deliberate as they want you to wait for refunds from the cruise lines first....they are deliberatly sitting on claims...they told me they would NOT pay me now accept subrogation from Oceania......they are all gaming the situation.

Seriously.... You should be the last to be refunded with the comments.. Chill out

15 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

Seriously.... You should be the last to be refunded with the comments.. Chill out

Geeeezzzz...another TA and apologist. If someone else's views or opinions differ from your own, debate it instead of launching personal attacks. 

No.....at the time we submitted our claim to our Travel Insurer we had NOT cancelled our cruise for either a FCC or refund, and Oceania had not cancelled the cruise either. Oceania cancelled the cruise TWO DAYS after we mailed our claim to the Travel Insurer via registered mail.

So you applied for  your insurance  refund   but had not cancelled the cruise ??

Is that correct?

2 hours ago, pintolvr@aol.com said:

I requested a refund to my credit card on March 20 and received on March 28.  Much quicker than I would have guessed.  I am grateful.

We were scheduled on the same April 1st cruise and requested 100% refund on March 15th. 

Still waiting to see the refund.

I wish the person assigned to process my refund was as efficient as the person that processed yours (slightly TIC).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pster55 said:

No.....at the time we submitted our claim to our Travel Insurer we had NOT cancelled our cruise for either a FCC or refund, and Oceania had not cancelled the cruise either. Oceania cancelled the cruise TWO DAYS after we mailed our claim to the Travel Insurer via registered mail. We were fearful that if we elected a refund from Oceania prior to submitting our insurance claim, or even afterwards (which we have to do by April 15th) the Travel Insurer would balk at paying our claim until much later, if at all - which is exactly what they appear to be doing becasue they refused subrogation. Insurers always want to be the "last to pay" so their delays in procesing claims has had the effect of forcing us to have to tell Oceania we wanted a refund. Our claim to the Travel Insurer was health related and had nothing to do with COVID-19. We finally told Oceania today we wanted a refund. Pretty sure the Insurer will now put our claim on hold. Our health related claim is a slam dunk. I will never buy travel insurance again...it's a scam. I think everyone is going to hear a lot of stories like this in the year ahead. 

If I understand this correctly, then it is totally poor behaviour by the insurance company and really nothing to do with Oceania.

OP cancelled the cruise for a reason irrelevant to COVID-19.  If that reason is covered by the insurance policy, which OP is certain it is, then the insurer should pay out regardless of what O does.

Put another way, if everything is hunky dory and that sailing proceeded, OP gets paid out.  Why should this change just because O cancelled the cruise?  Unless there is something that addresses this in the policy, I don't see why OP should be put through the shenanigans.  It is up to the insurer to pay out and take the loss (if the sailing went on) or seek reimbursement if it otherwise can find a way.

Based on my understanding of what has happened, I am sympathetic to OP but I don't think that the anger should be placed on O in this instance.  

15 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

If I understand this correctly, then it is totally poor behaviour by the insurance company and really nothing to do with Oceania.

OP cancelled the cruise for a reason irrelevant to COVID-19.  If that reason is covered by the insurance policy, which OP is certain it is, then the insurer should pay out regardless of what O does.

But if you read his post  he sent  in a claim but had NOT cancelled the cruise at that time.

Anger  should be at themselves for getting caught trying  to scam the insurance company & getting caught

17 hours ago, LHT28 said:

So you applied for  your insurance  refund   but had not cancelled the cruise ??

Is that correct?

Correct. We finally canceled yesterday because we got no guidance from the insurer. We told the insurer we were happy to subrogate any refund to them.......they have not responded. 

Correct. We finally canceled yesterday because we got no guidance from the insurer. We told the insurer we were happy to subrogate any refund to them.......they have not responded. 

I am not surprised 😉