Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

21 hours ago, Holiday 24/7 said:

22 hours ago, Holiday 24/7 said:

You are lucky Jay23.  We were due to travel on Sunday and we have only just had an email from our TA stating that ABTA have changed the advice on refunds and that our TA is following and that we now need to fill in a form that will give us our money back when the credit note they are going to issue us expires at the end of July!  I will be contacting Oceania tomorrow to see if they have refund the monies to the TA.  I had previously advised our TA over three weeks ago that we wanted a cash refund and she advised that she had filled the form in there and then so will be contacting them as well!  This is way outside the 90 days from the date that the cruise was actually cancelled.  If you were due to travel in August and your TA can refund the monies this would suggest they have received the money back from Oceania.  

We believe that our TA have an arrangement with Oceania for monies to be payed direct to them without going through the TA's accounts.  We received the refund direct from Oceania onto our CC account.  Our TA's company name never appears on any CC invoice.   They must get their commission from Oceania direct.   This sounds complex but it is the way it works.  J

19 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

We believe that our TA have an arrangement with Oceania for monies to be payed direct to them without going through the TA's accounts.  We received the refund direct from Oceania onto our CC account.  Our TA's company name never appears on any CC invoice.   They must get their commission from Oceania direct.   This sounds complex but it is the way it works.  J

Probably  when you paid by CC  it was listed as Oceania on your CC statement  ??

That is how it works here in Canada  (probably USA also)

Any refunds go back to the CC  directly from Oceania

As I mentioned in another post  I was surprised at how  the systems works in the UK  where pax pay cash/debit to the agent & not to cruise line

We always pay CC even when they were charging for the privilege!!   It was never worth the risk.  It has been a very long time since we have been charged for CC payment by our TA...    

2 hours ago, Jay23 said:

We always pay CC even when they were charging for the privilege!!   It was never worth the risk.  It has been a very long time since we have been charged for CC payment by our TA...    

Good  idea

It is illegal here for businesses to charge the consumer  a fee to use  their CC

It was  not always the case  & I can remember having to pay cash/debit for things  to save the 3% fee they would charge if you used a CC

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Good  idea

It is illegal here for businesses to charge the consumer  a fee to use  their CC

It was  not always the case  & I can remember having to pay cash/debit for things  to save the 3% fee they would charge if you used a CC

Of course the big difference is that a debit card (essentially cash) gives you no protections at all but a credit card does (albeit limited).

I’m very frustrated by my experience with Oceania. I cancelled a summer 2021 cruise on Feb. 23 for reasons completely unrelated to Covid-19. I have a copy of my cancellation stating I would receive my refund in 4-6 weeks.

At the six week mark I contacted Oceania again, and I was told for some reason the refund hasn’t been processed, but it would be expedited and I should have my refund in 7 days. I waited another 2 weeks, and this morning I spoke with a very unhelpful agent and his dismissive, rude supervisor. I was basically told too bad, I need to wait 90 days from my cancellation date in February (long before any temporary policies were in place), and they had no intention of expediting my refund.

I do understand what a crazy time this is, but this has really soured me on Oceania. I really don’t understand how my refund can take 90 days, especially since I cancelled the 2021 cruise back in February. The dismissive attitude of the supervisor did nothing to make the situation any better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I’m very frustrated by my experience with Oceania. I cancelled a summer 2021 cruise on Feb. 23 for reasons completely unrelated to Covid-19. I have a copy of my cancellation stating I would receive my refund in 4-6 weeks.

At the six week mark I contacted Oceania again, and I was told for some reason the refund hasn’t been processed, but it would be expedited and I should have my refund in 7 days. I waited another 2 weeks, and this morning I spoke with a very unhelpful agent and his dismissive, rude supervisor. I was basically told too bad, I need to wait 90 days from my cancellation date in February (long before any temporary policies were in place), and they had no intention of expediting my refund.

I do understand what a crazy time this is, but this has really soured me on Oceania. I really don’t understand how my refund can take 90 days, especially since I cancelled the 2021 cruise back in February. The dismissive attitude of the supervisor did nothing to make the situation any better.

Presumably you are expecting a refund on your deposit?

If so, that is very discouraging indeed if they are having trouble refunding $1500, never mind tens of thousands for full refunds.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cindy said:

Agreed, we were told 90 days today as well.  They have a $20k WC deposit that we canceled March 17th.  I doubt they will see me on another O cruise.

• Like 1

I still do not have anything in writing showing the $500 admin fee for cancelling a June 26 cruise  on my Oceania account as a FCC. Should this show up online? Should I call Oceania to see what is going on? I do have this showing on my cancellation invoice from my TA

Payment Type Method Card Type Memo Amount
2/27/2019 Initial Deposit Credit Card VISA   $ 1,500.00
4/7/2020 Payment Transfer     Xfer To 178280 $ -1,000.00
4/8/2020 Payment Refund Vendor Direct   Fcc Fo 178280 $ -500.00
Edited by susiesan

5 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I still do not have anything I writing showing the $500 admin fee for cancelling a June 26 cruise in on my account as a FCC. Should this show up online? Should I call Oceania to see what is going on? I do have this showing on my cancellation invoice from my TA

Payment Type Method Card Type Memo Amount
2/27/2019 Initial Deposit Credit Card VISA   $ 1,500.00
4/7/2020 Payment Transfer     Xfer To 178280 $ -1,000.00
4/8/2020 Payment Refund Vendor Direct   Fcc Fo 178280 $ -500.00

As pointed out several times in other threads, FCC (unlike OBC) does not show anywhere in your account. It's there but only Oceania or your TA can "see" it. It will be automatically applied to your next booking.

Check with your TA to make sure it's there.

That is my understanding.

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

As pointed out several times in other threads, FCC (unlike OBC) does not show anywhere in your account. It's there but only Oceania or your TA can "see" it. It will be automatically applied to your next booking.

I like to see things in writing. This FCC is not showing on my invoice for the Aug. 29,2021 cruise. The invoice shows the partial deposit transfer and the extra payment but not the FCC.

/7/2020

Initial Deposit

Credit Card

VISA

$ 500.00

4/7/2020

Payment Transfer

Xfer To 178280

$ 1,000.00

TOTAL PAID

$ 1,500.00

Edited by susiesan

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I like to see things in writing. This FCC is not showing on my invoice for the Aug. 29,2021 cruise. The invoice shows the partial deposit transfer and the extra payment but not the FCC.

/7/2020

Initial Deposit

Credit Card

VISA

$ 500.00

4/7/2020

Payment Transfer

Xfer To 178280

$ 1,000.00

TOTAL PAID

$ 1,500.00

Ask your TA to give you something in writing

11 minutes ago, susiesan said:

/7/2020

Initial Deposit

Credit Card

VISA

$ 500.00

4/7/2020

Payment Transfer

Xfer To 178280

$ 1,000.00

TOTAL PAID

$ 1,500.00

Also you might request an original Oceania invoice. What you posted doesn't appear to be. For the most part anything I usually get is noted on the Oceania invoice. 

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

Also you might request an original Oceania invoice. What you posted doesn't appear to be. For the most part anything I usually get is noted on the Oceania invoice. 

This is from my TA's invoice, not Oceania's. I have never ever seen an Oceania invoice, only ones from the agency I book with.

Do I email Oceania to request a copy of their invoice?

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

This is from my TA's invoice, not Oceania's. I have never ever seen an Oceania invoice, only ones from the agency I book with.

No, it should come directly from your TA. 

Personally that practice would throw up a red flag for me. 

• Like 3

I just received the invoice from my TA for the August 29, 2021 Marina Baltic cruise with all of the correct amounts and credits applied. She was able to book me as a cat G guarantee. This cruise is costing me $600 pp less than it would have been this year with prepaid grass added on so it is a much better value now. I am a happy camper.🥰😎🛳️

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Check with your TA to make sure it's there.

The FCCs are not automatically applied to your next booking. You must select which FCC(s) you  want to use when booking any specific future cruise(s).

As mentioned previously, there is no viewable documentation (online or on invoice) that you have a Future Cruise Credit(s). It is, however, posted to your Oceania Club ID # on O's internal system. 

BTW, note that the abbreviation FCC can also mean Future Cruise Certificate, which is traditionally purchased onboard to get the benefits without selecting a specific cruise. For these FCCs, you do get a certificate email and "booking" type number.

56 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Sorry but you should request/demand Oceania's invoices or find a new TA.

To avoid miscommunication, you should always acquire both your TA's invoice AND the actual Oceania invoice, which is what describes most accurately anything provided/promised by Oceania. (The TA's invoice should show TA added perks like Commission sharing -as rebate or refundable SBC).

It's far too easy for errors on original, modified, updated and/or corrected Oceania invoices to be "lost in translation." And what you then end up with is an erroneous (TA) document as your reference when you're onboard and find perks missing/incorrect.

BTW, if you're using a TA, Oceania will only send their invoices to the TA who should then send them to you. In a sense, this assures that you keep all financial transactions in the correct "supply chain" and that you understand that your deal is with the TA.

Now Oceania puts a time limit on requesting a refund for a cancelled cruise. Refund is not automatic, but FCC is.

This violates their contract conditions  - oh well typical...

Oceania Cruises Announces Extended Global Voluntary Suspension of Cruising

At Oceania Cruises, the health, safety and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit has always been and remains our highest priority. Given continued global efforts to combat the spread of the global COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, on March 30th, we announced a temporary voluntary suspension of voyages from April 12th to May 14th, 2020. On April 24th, we extended our suspension of voyages to include all voyages through June 30, 2020.

To make up for the inconvenience of this suspension, guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates from May 15th to June 30, 2020 will automatically receive a Future Cruise Credit worth 125% of the cruise fare paid. This is our way of providing even more value to our loyal guests to cruise with us at a later date.

• This Future Cruise Credit will automatically be processed to your Oceania Club profile after May 8, 2020 and may be applied to any voyage on Oceania Cruises anywhere in the world through December 31, 2022.
  • Ancillary items and packages, etc. purchased through us will be automatically refunded.
  • Any travel protection purchased through us will also be refunded.
  • Guests who have previously opted to cancel under the Travelers Assurance Program do not qualify for this offer

For guests who prefer to forfeit the higher value of the 125% Future Cruise Credit, a lower value full refund option is available.

• Please contact us to start the refund process if you’re willing to give up the higher value of your 125% Future Cruise Credit.
  • Refunds must be requested no later than close of business on May 8, 2020.
  • Please allow up to 90 days for refunds to be processed.

Please know our team is working around the clock to do what is right by our guests and travel partners. We continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide additional updates as they are available.

As always, your business is important to Oceania Cruises and we appreciate your trust in us. We remain dedicated to providing our guests with the best travel experiences across the globe.

Edited by PaulMCO

1 hour ago, ORV said:

No, it should come directly from your TA. 

Personally that practice would throw up a red flag for me. 

Thanks for adding this. In my post, I was trying not to point fingers. But, there are some unscrupulous TAs who may not want pass all the savings on. And, the worst case scenario would be a TA who directly charges you credit card (rather than passing it on to Oceania and then pockets the difference). Sad and uncommon but it happens.

As for TAs who don't provide the O invoices: Ask them why not. Other than saving trees and a single drop and drag from their O email to your email, there's no reason not to give it to you.

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The FCCs are not automatically applied to your next booking. You must select which FCC(s) you  want to use when booking any specific future cruise(s).

That’s assuming that you Are Lucy enough to have more than one FCC 😀

On 4/16/2020 at 5:53 PM, Jay23 said:

I have a feeling that my travel agent has a similar arrangement ,when I asked them to refund the cost of my cancelled cruise to my bank acc they said no problem ,but it would take 90 days .

Did you ask Oceania U.K if they were refunding to CC or to T.A ??

1 hour ago, roger b said:

I have a feeling that my travel agent has a similar arrangement ,when I asked them to refund the cost of my cancelled cruise to my bank acc they said no problem ,but it would take 90 days .

Did you ask Oceania U.K if they were refunding to CC or to T.A ??

The TA said it would go straight to our CC account and he was told it would take up to 90 days.    We did not have direct contact with Oceania.    It took 23  days so we were pleased with this service.    J