Additional deposit request to extend final payment

8 minutes ago, nanaof2 said:

Not a gambler. Unfortunately I don't believe that we will do this trip, 18 months in the making with the land components, flights etc. Very sad, but health is more important than a trip. 

You answered your own question.

My advice 

I don’t think you’re trip will happen.

We are in trouble times and you don’t want to be on the other side of the world in this.

38 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You answered your own question.

My advice 

I don’t think you’re trip will happen.

We are in trouble times and you don’t want to be on the other side of the world in this.

I know, we will have a video conference with the family next couple of weeks to agree on the next step, most likely to cancel everything. The big amount paid is in the airfares, hoping they cancel the flights and we can have a refund instead of credits. No crystal bowl here to predict next year.

Just now, nanaof2 said:

Thank you all for your ideas, suggestions and replies. Kept me busy today in our self imposed isolation. It has been a change from cleaning, cooking, TV, books etc. Will let you know if I get a reply. Take care and stay safe nana 🍀

Personally I'd be prepared to sacrifice the $125.00 deposits, because I can't see the cruise happening. We've cancelled out June booking with Carnival for a full refund, and I'm fairly sure our early November NZ cruise with Princess will go belly up too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Thanks. With respect to the earlier poster, and the fact the above says "full deposit" it does sound like you got a promo deposit where you pay some token or smaller amount, and these bookings normally have earlier final payment than usual.

Is it the case that you did only pay a small deposit and the above is letting you switch to the regular deposit terms? 

How much was your deposit?  I wouldn't pay anymore money to TA.  Not a good way to keep their customers!

6 hours ago, nanaof2 said:

Cruise 27 Sep 2020 RC Explorer of the Seas Rome to Rome

We have just been offered through our TA an extension for final payment by 11 days, July 3,  for an additional cost of AU$210 additional deposit? per person. Not sure if it is from RC or TA.

What a joke. 

I know RC is saying, via email I received, they are hoping to "get back to making memories beginning May12, 2020" except North America,  they must know something I don't know about the coronavirus disappearing from the rest of the world by then, ports will be open, except NA and people will be very happy to sail the Med etc in just over 5 weeks. 

Our travel ban has no end date at the moment and we would not be travelling to Italy etc in the next few weeks probably months. I don't think it is safe to travel anywhere at the moment and that will not change by May12.

Maybe is a way to get final payment instead of cancellations, possible to fill RC bank account considering the position they are in at the moment. 

Agree it is a pitiful joke - $420 additional deposit for 11 day extension for final payment. What date is the cruise departing?

Agree I don't think anyone should be planning a cruise until a vaccine has been discovered - 12 - 18 months has been  suggested.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree it is a pitiful joke - $420 additional deposit for 11 day extension for final payment. What date is the cruise departing?

Agree I don't think anyone should be planning a cruise until a vaccine has been discovered - 12 - 18 months has been  suggested.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Is it the case that you did only pay a small deposit and the above is letting you switch to the regular deposit terms? 

$125 each same as it is today. Checked an US TA they final payment is earlier than our original one.

12 minutes ago, nanaof2 said:

27 Sep. and is for 4 people $840.   Regardless if we go or not, this is not the way to treat your customers, hope nobody will be fooled.

I think some people are fooled by," if you don't pay $ by this, you'll loose your $ deposit".  They don't realise loosing the deposit, in some cases, is the best deal.  

Would be lovely to be cruising by September, such a nice time of year. Last September, I was cruising from Tromso, Norway to Oban, Scotland, plus land travel.  

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think some people are fooled by," if you don't pay $ by this, you'll loose your $ deposit".  They don't realise loosing the deposit, in some cases, is the best deal.  

Totally agree, our group of 6 deposit on our November cruise is only our $100.00 Future Cruise Deposit, hopefully by the time the final is due Princess will still have extended their generous cancellation situation if required.

Hmmm, sounds like a bunch of money for nothing, If you are confidant the cruise will happen and that you will be able to return home safely afterwards then just pay up and plan to go. If however you feel that the cruise will not happen or that you may be held up on board or have to quarantine (probably at your expense) when you return, cancel the cruise and call it done. Paying extra to prolong the pain? not so much. Would the extra deposit be refundable?

We have a cruise planned from New Zealand to Australia in January of 2021, our final payment is due in October so we have plenty of time and cancel for any reason insurance. I have some concerns even with that extended time line. Will the cruise ship allow my wife who has well controlled diabetes board the ship? But more importantly will the people of Australia and New Zealand allow this Canadian and his wife set foot in their country in January and February of 2021 and will Canada let me come home? We have a small deposit which is no loss if we have to cancel the cruise. Of course we hope all will be well then, we booked this thing while on an Alaska Cruise in June of 2019. If by October we feel we will not be welcome down under we will cancel the cruise and airfare (which we have already paid more than $8,000.00 CAD). We really hope this trip happens this is meant to celebrate our 20th Anniversary which will actually take place after the trip but still we have wanted to make this trip since before we were married.

In my humble opinion these additional deposits being discussed here and the  'cancellation' or 'administration' fees of $300 pp or whatever are being used to pay the travel agency staff, as there is not much cash flow into those businesses in this climate.   If the TA's can pay their staff with their own funds it eases the burden on the government coffers and on the tax payer.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

In my humble opinion these additional deposits being discussed here and the  'cancellation' or 'administration' fees of $300 pp or whatever are being used to pay the travel agency staff, as there is not much cash flow into those businesses in this climate.   If the TA's can pay their staff with their own funds it eases the burden on the government coffers and on the tax payer.

The quoted deposit from most TA’s is usually enough to cover their commission .

• Thanks 1