Regent Refund Experience (please limit to received refunds)

Portolan

There are several threads which discuss the refund process, but no consolidated hard data.  I propose that you only post here when you have received your refund.  Please post the date you requested the refund and the date it was credited back to your original form of payment.  We have been told it'll take up to 90 days, but we can hope that it is faster.

Reason for refund:  Cruise cancelled by Regent/world events (Explorer, 3/24)

Type of refund requested:  125% FCC, but refund of port fees/taxes

Dated requested:  March 16

Date that refund received:  crickets

Thanks for the replies so far.  Since there are probably hundreds of us who check this board and who have requested but not received refunds, I suggest that only reports of receiving refunds be posted.  Please also report the date requested and the date received.  I also think that recounting what was promised is somewhat futile since I doubt the Regent agents really have a clue about how long it will take.

• Like 1

On March 19th I called our travel agent to cancel an October cruise on Navigator. The same day the deposit was credited back to my credit card. We have a great TA and perhaps that had something to do with the fast action.

• Like 1

1. June 24 Alaska cruise cancelled (a direct RSSC booking cancelled under original terms accepting 15% penalty): March 23

2. Credit card refund processed: March 23

3. Refund posted to credit card account: March 27

We should probably limit this discussion to refunds for cruises Regent cancelled, not for refunds requested by customers under the original cancellation terms, as these appear to be handled as usual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 5:56 AM, Portolan said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  Since there are probably hundreds of us who check this board and who have requested but not received refunds, I suggest that only reports of receiving refunds be posted.  Please also report the date requested and the date received.  I also think that recounting what was promised is somewhat futile since I doubt the Regent agents really have a clue about how long it will take.

While I typically agree with you, I have never seen "hundreds" of people on the Regent board - ever.  A while ago, it was pretty much accepted that CC represents about 5% of Regent cruisers.  In the past few weeks, it seems that the numbers of people even checking the Regent board seems to have dwindled.  What I have noticed is posters that have not sailed Regent posting here.  Most are just curious to learn what Regent is doing in terms of addressing Covid-19.

I do have a question.  When we tell our TA to put our FCC's into a new cruise, are they supposed to still refund port and taxes fees?  Speaking only for myself, I hope that our. port and taxes have gone towards our new cruise.

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do have a question.  When we tell our TA to put our FCC's into a new cruise, are they supposed to still refund port and taxes fees?  Speaking only for myself, I hope that our. port and taxes have gone towards our new cruise.

My port fees and taxes were refunded within a week and the FCC was applied to a previously booked cruise within three days.

Just now, mrlevin said:

My port fees and taxes were refunded within a week and the FCC was applied to a previously booked cruise within three days.

Thank you.  Guess I need to have my DH check since I am not involved in the finances of our cruises.

Port fees and taxes vary widely depending on the cruise.  While I'm sure Regent would like to keep your money and credit them to a future cruise, they probably have a legal obligation to refund them.

Thanks to teenam2003 for the first report of what this thread was intended to track: a Regent cancelled cruise (after final payment) for which a full refund was requested and received.  One data point so far.

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I am confused.  When Regent Reassurance was first announced it said that the FCC had to be applied to a new booking.  I thought I saw when they extended it past September, that it could be applied to any booking.  I found that very "reassuring" because I have bookings in October 2020 and May 2021.  But now the Regent website again says the FCC must be used for a new booking.  So did you just happen to use yours in a brief window when they allowed it to be applied to existing bookings, or do they not enforce the new bookings only restriction?

I asked travel agent to apply to existing booking, she passed that to Regent, and Regent applied the FCC to an existing booking.  Of course, the existing booking is for 2021 and I could go through the process of canceling and rebooking so it made sense for Regent to agree otherwise it would just cost everyone time and wasted effort.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

The payment of port fees and taxes as a separate element of the overall price of the cruise is not always the same outside the USA. In UK there is a global price with no identified amount in this respect, so I assume that full refunds and indeed the computation of a FCC would include port fees and taxes automatically. 

Apologies to Portolan for a mild case of thread hijacking.

11 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Our FFC when to an existing booking, and we got the port fees credited to our credit card.  But still waiting for one cruise refund, will post when we get it.

To be nitpicky, it's FCC (Future Cruise Credit), not FFC...but we understand what you're saying.   😋

I've posted this elsewhere and will add it here.

A standard refund is automated but the current situation is not covered by Regent's software so refunds are being processed manually.

If you want it faster, call them. It will speed up the process but you will get it in time no matter what.

38 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I've posted this elsewhere and will add it here.

A standard refund is automated but the current situation is not covered by Regent's software so refunds are being processed manually.

If you want it faster, call them. It will speed up the process but you will get it in time no matter what.

Whom should I call at Regent? Just Customer Service? Our April 1 Splendor cruise was cancelled by Regent on 3/13 so 30 days have gone past so far. 

If you have a TA, have them call for you. If you booked directly, call Regent directly.

I wouldn't call if you only cancelled a week or two ago, but if you are waiting over a month I would call.

The squeaky wheel get the grease.

Oh my. One pertinent response.

i am only interested in how long it took to RECEIVE a  refund from full paid Regent  CANCELLED cruises. I thought the topic was clearly stated.

Maybe another thread can be started for random cruise related concerns of which I know are many and valid. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tecnam2003 said:

Cruise cancelled by Regent .Mariner Singapore to Rome.

On 26th February accepted the full refund plus 25% discount on future cruise.

full refund received 4th April 2020.

12 hours ago, Portolan said:

Thanks to teenam2003 for the first report of what this thread was intended to track: a Regent cancelled cruise (after final payment) for which a full refund was requested and received.  One data point so far.

I think @tecnam2003's experience reflects one of the early "Asian" cruise cancellations.

I believe that at that time (February) Regent's offer for cruises that they cancelled was 100% refund plus 25%FCC (compensation).

i.e. this was before Regent introduced the option of either accepting 125%FCC or 100% refund (with no compensation) for cruises that they cancelled. At the same time as they introduced the option of either FCC or refund, Regent also imposed the policy of a 90 day wait if the refund option was chosen; in order to further encourage guests to opt for the FCC.

So @tecnam2003's experience is certainly a "data point" but may not prove to be typical of refund periods for later cancellations.