Zaandam and Rotterdam -- Moving Forward (April 3, 2020)

CCHelp

4 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

According to the Miami Herald, "The Rotterdam is anchored offshore with 29 passengers on board, a spokesperson for the company confirmed.  Holland America Line said it is working to arrange charter flights home for the passengers."  I can't imagine being one of these passengers, enduring the Zaandam and now this.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241929131.html

I am so disappointed to read that the 29 passengers and several contract workers were not able to disembark in FLL after having been there for 9 days. If it was due to them remaining symptomatic, I wonder why the ship simply didn't remain in port until everyone had recovered.  I think that the general thinking, at least on this board, is that was to be the case.  Now they will have to return to some port in order to be transferred to charter flights.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am so disappointed to read that the 29 passengers and several contract workers were not able to disembark in FLL after having been there for 9 days. If it was due to them remaining symptomatic, I wonder why the ship simply didn't remain in port until everyone had recovered.  I think that the general thinking, at least on this board, is that was to be the case.  Now they will have to return to some port in order to be transferred to charter flights.

I think it is because of the number of ships using FLL right now exceeds the dock capacity.  They all have to take turns.  If it is not an emergency situation and those on the Rotterdam are not emergent but symptomatic, it probably is not enough for the Rotterdam to take up valuable docking space.  

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I think it is because of the number of ships using FLL right now exceeds the dock capacity.  They all have to take turns.  If it is not an emergency situation and those on the Rotterdam are not emergent but symptomatic, it probably is not enough for the Rotterdam to take up valuable docking space.

There are no cruise ships at this moment (5:30 pm EDT) docked in Port Everglades so that is not the reason. 

https://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

I do know that they would have to pay a daily docking fee if there; perhaps it is cheaper to anchor somewhere and then come in briefly like Celebrity's Edge did earlier today.

Edited by bluesea321

3 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

There are no cruise ships at this moment (5:30 pm EDT) docked in Port Everglades so that is not the reason. 

https://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

I do know that they would have to pay a daily docking fee if there; perhaps it is cheaper to anchor somewhere and then come in briefly like Celebrity's Edge did earlier today.

OK.  I know that ships come in and out at different times.  Up at Port Canaveral, the ships have been alternating.  Usually, you can see 3 ships sitting offshore from Cocoa Beach.  The other night, it was 7 ships.   So, ships are either going to an offshore anchorage (like the other 'dam ships in the Bahamas) or hovering near a port.   Yes, they have to pay if docked, so it makes sense to "share the pain" as well as sharing time to provision...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Could it be that the countries to which some passengers or contract workers need to return to are not allowing flights in?

• Thanks 1

A quick word from Capt. Albert on his blog as of yesterday from Rotterdam

Captain Albert (Post author)

APRIL 12, 2020 AT 10:09 AM

Good morning,

thank your for reading my blog. I hope to be in the air again shortly. The ships (Westerdam & Eurodam) are transferring non essential crew to the Eurodam who will take them home to the Philippines and Indonesia.

Best regards

Capt. Albert

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A quick word from Capt. Albert on his blog as of yesterday from Rotterdam

Captain Albert (Post author)

APRIL 12, 2020 AT 10:09 AM

Good morning,

thank your for reading my blog. I hope to be in the air again shortly. The ships (Westerdam & Eurodam) are transferring non essential crew to the Eurodam who will take them home to the Philippines and Indonesia.

Best regards

Capt. Albert

My question is:  When HAL stars sailing again, how will they get the people back to the ships?

15 minutes ago, Himself said:

My question is:  When HAL stars sailing again, how will they get the people back to the ships?

I’m guessing commercial flights.  If it’s not safe enough to fly commercial it’s not safe enough to sail.  

These ships are too big to be able to get enough passengers for a revenue positive sailing without any of the passengers flying to the embarkation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Could it be that the countries to which some passengers or contract workers need to return to are not allowing flights in?

When the ships docked and the plans to people home were made the agreement document did state that there were passengers from countries that would not allow their return and that those passengers would stay on board. Si I expect that some if not all of those 29 fit in that category.

Limited numbers of commercial flights are still flying. The reason for the limited number is that few people are choosing to fly and most essential folks have already gotten where they need to be. 

5 hours ago, Himself said:

Morning Father; by that time, we hope, international commercial air traffic is back to normal. That's how crew reached their ships prior to Covid-19, usually including one night's stay in a hotel in somewhat close proximity to the port and their ship(s)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Can the Eurodam remain nearby and bring crew members back to the West Coast when cruises resume?

That will take too long; HAL will fly them back to their ships. When that time arrives, HAL crew travel will be as busy as a pickpocket in a nudist colony 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

That will take too long; HAL will fly them back to their ships. When that time arrives, HAL crew travel will be as busy as a pickpocket in a nudist colony 😉 

Just can’t “unsee” that vision 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2