Zaandam and Rotterdam -- Moving Forward (April 3, 2020)

CCHelp

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

Thoughts on whether the departures of Zaandam and Rotterdam will postpone the docking of Coral Princess?

It won't! Rotterdam is now scheduled to depart on Monday, 06 APR at 2222 Hrs and Zaandam on Thursday, 09 APR at 2222 hrs

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, millybess said:

Thoughts on whether the departures of Zaandam and Rotterdam will postpone the docking of Coral Princess?

"The U.S. Coast Guard won’t allow Princess Cruises’ Coral Princess, which has 12 people aboard who’ve tested positive for the new coronavirus, to dock in Port Everglades for the time being, a port spokeswoman confirmed Friday."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coral-princess-port-everglades-wait-20200403-5pkjldpy4zh73dcg7bnrrrcqei-story.html

• Thanks 1

That article said Princess hasn't requested to dock in Ft Lauderdale. 

Broward County Mayor Dale V.C. Holness said Friday that the Princess cruise has no formal request to arrive in Fort Lauderdale and had not submitted a plan for disembarking its 1,898 passengers and crew.

If they decided to appeal to Fort Lauderdale, he said, it’s likely the county will expect the same conditions negotiated with Holland America, which shares the Princess’ corporate ownership.

It also said that the Regal Princess delivered supplies to the Coral Princess. I'm wondering if covaid test kits were among the supplies since docking procedures and requirements may differ depending on whether or not the sick people recently reported are or are not covaid 19  

Given one of their latest press releases, I was under the impression that the Coral Princess is scheduled to arrive early Sunday morning. So now having read the Sun Sentinel article, I suppose they will also be required to sit out there, and I assume that if they are given permission to proceed they will have to wait for the Zaandam and Rotterdam to depart. 

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

I hope so, too, but some had to fly to other parts of the country to get home.

Brother, off Rotterdam no symptoms,  had to fly charter to ATL then commercial from Atlanta to Charlotte because FLL would not let them into airport...in spite of fact he could have flown non stop FLL to CLT....so Florida doesn't mind having people go through Atlanta airport but not FLL?? 

Meantime FLL airport "open for business" with people arriving from who knows where, infected with who knows what with little or no screening.  Not to mention thousands of people arriving everyday via cars from who knows where infected with who knows what.  Add to that the exemption for Florida churches to hold large services with no social distancing required.  

But go ahead and blame your problems on those "virus villains" the cruise passengers.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dockman said:

Brother, off Rotterdam no symptoms,  had to fly charter to ATL then commercial from Atlanta to Charlotte because FLL would not let them into airport...in spite of fact he could have flown non stop FLL to CLT....so Florida doesn't mind having people go through Atlanta airport but not FLL?? 

Meantime FLL airport "open for business" with people arriving from who knows where, infected with who knows what with little or no screening.  Not to mention thousands of people arriving everyday via cars from who knows where infected with who knows what.  Add to that the exemption for Florida churches to hold large services with no social distancing required.  

But go ahead and blame your problems on those "virus villains" the cruise passengers.

All good points.  I guess it doesn't matter if ATL is contaminated by infected people.  I was in the Atlanta airport 24 days ago and thank goodness haven't come down with the virus.  I was also on a flight to Michigan on the 3rd and back to Georgia on the 10th.  Things have escalated so much since then that I would never want to do that in present time.  

I hope your brother stays safe on his flights and gets home with no problems.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cdwise said:

That article said Princess hasn't requested to dock in Ft Lauderdale. 

Broward County Mayor Dale V.C. Holness said Friday that the Princess cruise has no formal request to arrive in Fort Lauderdale and had not submitted a plan for disembarking its 1,898 passengers and crew.  If they decided to appeal to Fort Lauderdale, he said, it’s likely the county will expect the same conditions negotiated with Holland America, which shares the Princess’ corporate ownership.

It also said that the Regal Princess delivered supplies to the Coral Princess. I'm wondering if covaid test kits were among the supplies since docking procedures and requirements may differ depending on whether or not the sick people recently reported are or are not covaid 19.

Here is more information.   Time will tell...

"Carnival’s Coral Princess Won’t Be Allowed to Dock at Port Everglades Saturday.  The ship has more than 1,000 passengers who have been isolating in their cabins, including 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19 on board"

"Based on the hazardous conditions on board your vessel, I have determined your vessel poses an unacceptable risk of medical emergency due to the inherent and high probability of transmission of COVID-19 aboard, which presents a risk to the safety of the personnel aboard your vessel, first responders and ports within the Seventh District," the Coast Guard said in Friday's order to the company."

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/carnivals-coral-princess-wont-be-allowed-to-dock-at-port-everglades-saturday/2215325/

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I hope so, too, but some had to fly to other parts of the country to get home.

Domestic onward travel rules would apply.     Scott. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/government-of-canada-announces-new-domestic-transportation-measures.html

Domestic travel within Canada

As of March 30, 2020, all passengers flying in Canada will be subject to a health check prior to boarding.

You will not be permitted to board if you: 

• show any symptoms of COVID-19 or
  • have been refused boarding in the past 14 days due to a medical reason related to COVID-19 or
  • are subject to a provincial or local public health order

This also applies to travellers arriving from outside Canada.

If you are arriving from outside Canada and are deemed safe to fly, you may board a connecting flight to your destination.     [emphasis added]

However, upon arrival at your final destination, you must go directly to the place where you will isolate, and remain there for 14 days. This is because you are still at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

You may be subject to additional provincial or territorial public health measures at your final destination.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be allowed to board any flight until:

• 14 days have passed, or
  • you present a medical certificate confirming that your symptoms are not related to COVID-19
  • If you have signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you will not be allowed to use public transportation to travel to the place where you will isolate.
Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dockman said:

I hope your brother had ample connection time since his flight left 90 minutes late.

Roy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dockman said:

The truth is the Healthy Holland Passengers who are probably terrified over getting the virus wearing masks are probably the least threat in the whole airport.  I would say common sense would dictate nobody sitting next to them. With air travel so doubt that is an issue.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dockman said:

Considering the four south Florida Counties have more Coronavirus cases than all of Georgia your brother is much less likely to catch the Coronavirus in Atlanta than in FLL.

If you'll recall, the Zaandam and Rotterdam weren't allowed to dock according to those same sources a mere 3 days ago.

Everyone knows that the weather report isn't always going to be right all the time, but I expect more from the news.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

Considering the four south Florida Counties have more Coronavirus cases than all of Georgia your brother is much less likely to catch the Coronavirus in Atlanta than in FLL.

Broward county is running at half the mortality rate of the US. Granted, the rate is skewed by NY, but still....

Some thoughts:

Regarding comparison to the Grand Princess passengers' debarkation process utilizing military bases for quarantine:   At that time the US was still attempting to "contain" and do contact-tracing.  Since then the CDCs have given up on Containment strategy and shifted to Mitigation by Social Distancing strategy.  So it really is a very different approach now.

Regarding the demand for charter flights out of the Ft Lauderdale area, that is more a political appeasement than a health-driven requirement.  Obviously it's not about spread of possible infection, it's about "optics" for the locals and locales already stressed.   But kudos to HAL for not trying to interject too much logic into the negotiations, but to roll with it to get the job done.  

Dockman:  I'm sorry that your brother got caught on the downside of the negotiated flight arrangement.  I'm sure he'd have rather had a direct flight, and equally sure he's very glad to be on his way home and off the ship.  

POA:  Thank you Brian for your copy, it was the first that I was able to see.  We appreciate your efforts in formatting it for our easier perusal.  Reading it reminds me of the old adage about enjoying sausage but not wanting to see how it's made.  Unified Command makes things happen, but it's not pretty, and sometimes not logical.... everybody has to give in on something. 

And it's not over yet for the Zaandam...  many passengers are still on the ship, and the crew isn't doing all that well either.  Captain Ane Jan Smit still has a lot to deal with.  Many are still in need of miracles.  Let's keep them all in our hearts.  Along with the next set of ships that are currently searching for harbors of last resort....  

Maureen 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

That is one  thing that should be shut down also

Why have people that are asymptomatic fly to another area then possibly infect others 🙄

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Some thoughts:

And it's not over yet for the Zaandam...  many passengers are still on the ship, and the crew isn't doing all that well either.  Captain Ane Jan Smit still has a lot to deal with.  Many are still in need of miracles.  Let's keep them all in our hearts.  Along with the next set of ships that are currently searching for harbors of last resort....  

Maureen 

Not over for the Rotterdam either.  According to exhibit B, as of April 1st there were 10 passengers on the Zaandam and 3 on the Rotterdam that needed on shore medical treatment.  In addition, there were 13 passengers on each of the ships showing symptoms for a total of 26. There was one crew member needing shoreside medical attention and another 50 showing symptoms.  It did not say which ship the affected crew were on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

Not over for the Rotterdam either.  According to exhibit B, as of April 1st there were 10 passengers on the Zaandam and 3 on the Rotterdam that needed on shore medical treatment.  In addition, there were 13 passengers on each of the ships showing symptoms for a total of 26. There was one crew member needing shoreside medical attention and another 50 showing symptoms.  It did not say which ship the affected crew were on.

Hopefully they would move all the sick to one ship & clean  the other one  

Then head out to circle the ocean with the rest of the ships 😉

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

It won't! Rotterdam is now scheduled to depart on Monday, 06 APR at 2222 Hrs and Zaandam on Thursday, 09 APR at 2222 hrs

That's a long stay. Any idea why? Sorry to be morbid, but my first thought was staying close to land in case one of the ill passengers gets worse. 

54 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's a long stay. Any idea why? Sorry to be morbid, but my first thought was staying close to land in case one of the ill passengers gets worse. 

Ill pax on Zaandam  should be  better by the 9th  so the quarantine would be over  then

That would give time to get them on flights  also

Maybe  Rotterdam  will resupply  before heading to no mans land  & a good cleaning  so the crew left on board can be safe

Just guessing

• Like 1