Will Viking extend current Final Payment Dates

bbtondo

I tried searching for this with no luck.  My final payment date for my first cruise with Viking is June 2020.  Has Viking extended their final payment date recently for anyone due to the current Corona situation?  And yes, before I cancel on my final payment date I will ask for an extension.  I would like to know if anyone has been successful at this.  Thanks!

Edited by bbtondo

I was recently researching a spring 2022 cruise that had a final payment date of end of Dec of this year, 2020. I told the agent, that we weren't interested in booking if that was the case....14 months ahead of sailing, and they moved the final payment to Aug of 2021. There have been a couple of threads discussing the inconsistency in terms from Viking depending on who you talk to. Definitely ASK!

This is definitely of interest to me, as our final payment on our October 2020 cruise is due April 28. I had been optimistic that we would be able to sail by then, and I still hold on to some hope, just for my own mental health. However, as each day passes and the news seems more dire, I do wonder. I have yet to call Viking to ask, as with the constantly changing nature of things, I figure it makes more sense to wait until close to the due date.

We are scheduled for November, 2020 (West Indies Explorer, Nov 9) and our final payment is due by the end of this month.  We haven't received anything from Viking "reminding" us to pay yet so we are hoping it will get delayed but I doubt it.  We also think there is a good possibility this gets cancelled, but will wait to see.

Sharon

I appreciate everyone's input.  It seems that Viking has not recently announced a new policy on final payment dates.  I will be watching and will definitely ask when June comes around.  Wouldn't it be nice if by that time this whole situation is just a bad memory?  I can always hope....

Out of curiosity, how did all you folks get such favorable Final Payment terms. We booked a river cruise for Oct 2020 in Sept of 2019, and were required to make final payment at the end of 2019?Viking has been holding our $13000 since then, and will be until it is either cancelled our we decide to ask for a refund?

We had booked a Sept 2020 River cruise and our final payment was due Mar 27th. We asked for an extension....answer was NO. We also wanted to move it to a combined Ocean/River cruise in Sept of 2021. They wanted final payment  in June 2020 so 15 months ahead.  We asked to move that final payment to 1 year prior which would be Sept 2020 to see how things were ... ..we didn't think we'd know by June.  It was escalated to upper management of Viking by our TA, but it was denied.  So we cancelled it. 

It's very different in UK. Eg final payment date for our July 2020 cruise is 1st May 2020. 

We just wouldn't pay in full as far in advance as you seem to have to in America. 

I'm not sure whether to cancel altogether or ask Viking to carry the deposit forward to a potential future booking when/if this situation ever improves. 

3 hours ago, clojacks said:

Out of curiosity, how did all you folks get such favorable Final Payment terms. We booked a river cruise for Oct 2020 in Sept of 2019, and were required to make final payment at the end of 2019?Viking has been holding our $13000 since then, and will be until it is either cancelled our we decide to ask for a refund?

Viking does offer six month final payment date for cruises booked on board a Viking ocean ship, and also when you already have another cruise booked. We have used both of those methods to secure a later final payment date. We paid in full well over a year in advance for our first river cruise, and also for our first ocean cruise.

I think the special date is also available during a period of time when you have returned  from a cruise (maybe two weeks?), but I am less sure of that, since we have not personally used that approach.

3 hours ago, clojacks said:

Ask your TA to lean on them.

we have a trip to China in October...final payment due next week...Viking will not extended due date...unfortunately we have already bought our own air or I would cancel and get a voucher for the deposit.  Our insurance will not cover if we cancel the cruise ourselves (did not get cancel for any reason)

11 hours ago, deec said:

we have a trip to China in October...final payment due next week...Viking will not extended due date...unfortunately we have already bought our own air or I would cancel and get a voucher for the deposit.  Our insurance will not cover if we cancel the cruise ourselves (did not get cancel for any reason)

We’re in a similar boat (pun intended). We have a November 1 river cruise with final payment due May 1. A big difference Is our cruise is relatively inexpensive and we’re using Viking Air. Our thoughts now are to pay and if the cruise doesn’t happen (or we’re concerned about going), we can get a credit which will definitely be fully used on another booking. Those are our thoughts now - that can change.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

We’re in a similar boat (pun intended). We have a November 1 river cruise with final payment due May 1. A big difference Is our cruise is relatively inexpensive and we’re using Viking Air. Our thoughts now are to pay and if the cruise doesn’t happen (or we’re concerned about going), we can get a credit which will definitely be fully used on another booking. Those are our thoughts now - that can change.

We are days ahead of you for an ocean cruise with payment due April 28. We are expecting a refund check on an April cancellation that should reach us before then if they are sticking with the 21 business days time frame. If it is delayed, then we will have a more complicated decision to make. I am not sure I am willing to have full fares for two trips in Viking's hands under these circumstances. We love and support Viking, but I am only willing  to gamble so much money on their future. 

I do try not to be a worst case scenario kind of person, but it does seem every day I am hearing longer and longer times that this virus will still be impacting our lives. 

• Like 1

With a final payment date approaching, I nosed around on Viking's website and found this:

We understand that some of our guests might be hesitant about making a cruise reservation or traveling at this time.

That is why Viking is offering a limited-time offer—the most flexible of any cruise line—so that you can plan your voyage with peace of mind. The Risk-Free Guarantee allows guests to change their cruise date up until 24 hours before their planned departure—and Viking will waive any fees. This offer covers all Viking reservations that are made by April 30, 2020. That means that if you reserved your cruise in 2019 or if you reserve a new cruise tomorrow, you will be covered, regardless of itinerary or departure date.

Risk-Free Guarantee: How it Works

• To be covered by this guarantee, you must make a reservation by April 30, 2020.
  • This guarantee is combinable with all other Viking offers available.
  • When you are covered by the Risk-Free Guarantee you may change your cruise reservation with notification to Viking. Notification must be received as follows:
    • For those with flights arranged by Viking, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of flight departure.
    • For those who arrange their own flights, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of cruise embarkation or hotel check-in, whichever is first.
  • Reservation changes will be reimbursed in the form of a Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of any fees incurred.
  • Guests will have 24 months to select their new date and use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise.

17 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

With a final payment date approaching, I nosed around on Viking's website and found this:

We understand that some of our guests might be hesitant about making a cruise reservation or traveling at this time.

That is why Viking is offering a limited-time offer—the most flexible of any cruise line—so that you can plan your voyage with peace of mind. The Risk-Free Guarantee allows guests to change their cruise date up until 24 hours before their planned departure—and Viking will waive any fees. This offer covers all Viking reservations that are made by April 30, 2020. That means that if you reserved your cruise in 2019 or if you reserve a new cruise tomorrow, you will be covered, regardless of itinerary or departure date.

Risk-Free Guarantee: How it Works

• To be covered by this guarantee, you must make a reservation by April 30, 2020.
  • This guarantee is combinable with all other Viking offers available.
  • When you are covered by the Risk-Free Guarantee you may change your cruise reservation with notification to Viking. Notification must be received as follows:
    • For those with flights arranged by Viking, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of flight departure.
    • For those who arrange their own flights, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of cruise embarkation or hotel check-in, whichever is first.
  • Reservation changes will be reimbursed in the form of a Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of any fees incurred.
  • Guests will have 24 months to select their new date and use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise.

The vouchers are not transferable. So if my husband dies and I booked using a voucher and I wanted to travel alone I'd have to pay his half of the cabin with money. I verified that with my TA and via a chat with Viking. I'm not happy with that. Viking did say that if that happened I could contact them to see what they could do but no guarantees. That being said, I did my final payment today for my Oct 6 cruise. I have until June 6 to cancel and get everything back except the $200. So I'm going to see what happens and hope for the best...I did use my credit card instead of echeck for the fair credit act protection.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:19 PM, Nippy Sweetie said:

It's very different in UK. Eg final payment date for our July 2020 cruise is 1st May 2020. 

We just wouldn't pay in full as far in advance as you seem to have to in America. 

I'm not sure whether to cancel altogether or ask Viking to carry the deposit forward to a potential future booking when/if this situation ever improves. 

Same here Nippy Sweetie.  We are supposed to pay the balance of our July 2020 cruise on April 27th - but I am very reluctant to do so.   I'm fairly sure Viking will cancel the cruise as almost certainly Europe will be nowhere finished with the virus by then.  And I know I could cancel now and get a voucher - but we already have a 5 week trip on Viking Sun starting December 2020, and another 3 weeks April 2021, so I don't want to commit to any more cruises.  I think we'll probably cancel the December one anyway, and move that deposit to a later cruise.  And one nearer home!  The British Isles one is looking very tempting now. 

I booked directly with Viking in January 2020 for  January 2021 ocean cruise.  I told them I would not book if I had to pay all monies upfront a year a head of time.  They then gave me a final payment for July 2020.  If this corona situation isn't totally gone and I can't extend the final payment at that time, I will cancel.  😔

• 4 months later...

I was just talking to Viking to book our first cruise with them - a river ocean combo in September 2022. Couldn’t believe they want final payment this December.  21 months before we leave?  That’s craziness in my mind.  If anyone has a TA that has been successful I would appreciate a referral. 

3 hours ago, cornflakecounter said:

I was just talking to Viking to book our first cruise with them - a river ocean combo in September 2022. Couldn’t believe they want final payment this December.  21 months before we leave?  That’s craziness in my mind.  If anyone has a TA that has been successful I would appreciate a referral. 

A TA will not be able to assist in moving your final payment date back if this is your first Viking cruise.  That's just the way it is.  

5 hours ago, cornflakecounter said:

The final payment date is one Viking policy many of us don't like. However with even some 2023 cruise sold out we have limited option.

Bonus, by booking onboard, or if you have an existing booking we previously got 6 months.

If anyone has a TA that has been successful I would appreciate a referral. 

TA referrals are not permitted here; we risk getting kick out. We cannot mention TA's by name and we cannot suggest that contact us privately for a referral.

21 months before we leave?

Yes that is probably what it will be. You can try asking to have it pushed off further. It can hurt but the odds are against it happening.

If you aren't picky about which cabins you want, you can try waiting until closer to the sail date you are interested in to book. There may be a small flurry of cancellations as the 121 day mark approaches, since folks have until that point to cancel with only a $100penalty. You will have to check every day for openings (and I wouldn't depend on a TA to do the checking for you) and there is no guarantee that you will find a cancellation. And you can continue checking right up until the week before sailing; the older demographic makes for a higher rate of last minute cancellations. If you can handle the flexibility to depart last minute, you might get lucky.