Princess cruise ships waiting of the coast of Australia told to go home

John99

With hundreds of cruise ships now "floating" offshore the situation for the crew members is only bound to get worse.  I don't have a ready solution other than mothballing these huge ships and getting the crews somehow home like RCCL appears to be doing. 

The S. FLorida Coast Guard is telling ships to seek help in the country of their flags, the Bahamas for many, and the Bahamas is telling them they don't have the hospital capacity which I understand.  However the Bahamas, Panama, Bermuda, et.al. did have the capacity to "incorporate" these large companies and "flag" their ships for convenience.  Nice to get their dollars in good times and send them some place else in bad ones.  See article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241740151.html

1 hour ago, Babr said:

You can be sure that if any ships were off the coast Florida with crew only, the US response would be the same as Australia’s. We can’t point our fingers and condemn others when we are no better.

There are dozens of ships with crew only in Florida ports and off the coast. 

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Please don’t disparage our friends the Australians. We don’t have any moral authority to criticize them when the governor of Florida said he did not want the people on the Zaandam “dumped” on him. These were people who were sick and needed help, but he did not consider the humanitarian issues until he suddenly realized Americans were on board  - something that should be no surprise to a governor of Florida. Ordinary people knew what was happening on the Zaandam. Fortunately it was worked out with the help of the Unified Command, but now the Australians are stranded on the West Coast because they could not continue on commercial flights. The passengers are caught up in this ordeal and are no more to blame than those that got off the Ruby in Sydney. The failure lies with those making the decisions.

You can be sure that if any ships were off the coast Florida with crew only, the US response would be the same as Australia’s. We can’t point our fingers and condemn others when we are no better.

At least the Aussies are asking the backpackers to leave because they aren’t following the rules. That is understandable. Too bad our government didn’t keep spring breakers off the beaches. 

There are plenty of cruise ships docked here in Miami as well anchored off our coast with crew on board and they are not being sent away.  Two Costa ships had ill crew and were taken off within the last week and that's all that was on the ship, crew. Another from another ship and so on.  This is also the same off of Fort Lauderdale.  Obviously our response is not the same!

The reality is cruise ships have been disembarking passengers for weeks without screening here and there have been positive cases. We will not be turning our backs on crew or passengers from other countries I would hope and humanitarian help will continue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There are dozens of ships with crew only in Florida ports and off the coast. 

Yes and the US Coast Guard has told them to seek help in the country of their flags, the Bahamas for many.  Please see the attachment.  And then the Bahamas tells them to not go there, please see the Miami Herald article.  I fear a real problem for these poor folks trapped in a ship with declining conditions.  I don't have a solution but something will have to be done soon.

Coast Guard.pdf

4 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

The reality is cruise ships have been disembarking passengers for weeks without screening here and there have been positive cases. We will not be turning our backs on crew or passengers from other countries I would hope and humanitarian help will continue. 

Thank you, caroline.

I hope that all coutries can act in a humantarian way, so that everyone who is trapped away from home

has a way to be repatriated.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Yes and the US Coast Guard has told them to seek help in the country of their flags, the Bahamas for many.  Please see the attachment.  And then the Bahamas tells them to not go there, please see the Miami Herald article.  I fear a real problem for these poor folks trapped in a ship with declining conditions.  I don't have a solution but something will have to be done soon.

Coast Guard.pdf 102.65 kB · 0 downloads

I share your fears.  Have you seen/heard that the Coast Guard is actually enforcing that statement?  I ask because on Thursday while watching the entry of Zaandam and Rotterdam into Port Everglades there was an emergency evacuation of a crew member from the Oasis of the Seas (IIRC).  The Oasis didn't come into port; the ship's tender was met by and ambulance at the jetty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Not just the ships are being thrown out.

"Australia's Prime Minister has told all foreign visitors and students to leave the country now amid fury at backpackers for failing to follow social distancing rules."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8184065/Australia-tells-foreign-visitors-make-way-home-coronavirus-crisis-intensifies.html

Mr Morrison said it was “lovely to have visitors to Australia in good times”. But now they should “make your way home” and “ensure that you can receive the supports that are available…in your home countries.

This kind of talk will make Australia a place where people are from and not where they wish to go or visit.  I think Oz is off my bucket list now.

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I share your fears.  Have you seen/heard that the Coast Guard is actually enforcing that statement?  I ask because on Thursday while watching the entry of Zaandam and Rotterdam into Port Everglades there was an emergency evacuation of a crew member from the Oasis of the Seas (IIRC).  The Oasis didn't come into port; the ship's tender was met by and ambulance at the jetty.

No, I am far away and have not heard of any enforcement, only that official CG document.  I also saw the Oasis being helped and as I recall some Costa ships were also helped this last week.  Here is what I foresee, some no good:   Since South Florida at the moment has hospital capacity (you would know better than me) the CG will continue to help with serious/critical cases.  If and when (I pray never) the hospital capacity is near maxed out, who will prioritize the beds, will they go to Floridians or crews or others?  I pray we don't get to that point but the North East, CA and WA, and particularly NY, are already there.

Hobbyfamer2.

You need to make sure you take the comments in the circumstances they were given. If you don't want to obey our rules, then yes please go home - we don't want you. If you are not prepared to obey our rules, then we will not be disturbed about being off your bucket list. People are just not taking this seriously enough. It seems to be a case of 'it will never happen me'. Well one day it might.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All cruise crews have been assessed and those requiring hospital attention were repatriated to the mainland and treated in Australian hospitals. Yesterday there were massive movements on Sydney Harbour as crews were swapped amongst the ships, so that they could travel on the ship closest to the crews home for repatriation. It was the biggest manoeuvre since WW2. All ships were fully provisioned with food, fuel and medical supplies. And have now departed. Except Ruby where Australia continues to provide medical support. 

One third of all Australia's deaths from Covid are passengers from Cruiselines - Princess Ruby was the main issue, but RCL and another couple of lines were involved.

Passengers from the HAL ships were flown home by charter flights paid by the Aus Government. 

As of yesterday, this chart shows where Australia acquired all its infections from and we have one of the highest rates per capita, of testing. Almost 1/3 of our positive cases have come directly from cruiseline passengers. 0FED384D-7F53-43B1-B676-211DF03C751C.thumb.jpeg.b0110d5528e3b683f0ee441725e80cba.jpeg

Backpackers, well, everyone, is required to do social distancing and anyone refusing to do this will face legal sanctions. Backpackers are here on visas; a criminal offence means that visa is revoked. I can't imagine it is any different in the US and Canada. 

Many people we know, including family, have been stood down. Backpackers who cannot support themselves financially or who commit offences are asked to leave. I can't imagine it is any different in the US and Canada.

The Australian Government has sent many charters to collect Australians and is still doing so. The issue is that many people are stuck on some countries where their borders are closed and these people simply cannot get out and there is nothing that ANY Government can do about that. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

There are plenty of cruise ships docked here in Miami as well anchored off our coast with crew on board and they are not being sent away.  Two Costa ships had ill crew and were taken off within the last week and that's all that was on the ship, crew. Another from another ship and so on.  This is also the same off of Fort Lauderdale.  Obviously our response is not the same!

I stumbled across this in the miami herald:

Healthy crew members who have been stuck on the coronavirus-stricken Costa Favolosa and Costa Magica cruise ships since mid-March finally touched land in Miami Monday on their way home.

Dozens of workers were shuttled via lifeboat to PortMiami, then boarded buses bound for Miami International Airport around 9:00 a.m. One Wamos Air charter flight and two Ethiopian Air flights — both headed to Manila, Philippines — were scheduled to depart in the early afternoon but were delayed into the evening.

Another two charter flights on Wamos Air for Carnival Cruise Line and Norwegian Cruise Line crew were also slated for Monday, a spokesperson for the airport confirmed.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241620671.html

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

.......but who is there for the world when the chips are down?  Yes, the USA.  We are the closest ally and neighbor and rely on the US for so much in our lives, whether good or bad is another topic.  I think we should cut them some slack and appreciate that we have this great neighbor to the south.

Ha!  Do we live in the same country?  Remember our attitude during 9/11?  As somebody on a different thread said, “Can we rewrite Come From Away?”  As you must know by now POTUS has cancelled our 3M order for masks. Once upon a time, our neighbour to the south was great, but not when the chips are down. 

Edited by millybess
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, millybess said:

Ha!  Do we live in the same country?  Remember our attitude during 9/11?  As somebody on a different thread said, “Can we rewrite Come From Away?”  As you must know by now POTUS has cancelled our 3M order for masks. Once upon a time, our neighbour to the south was great, but not when the chips are down. 

IDK the real 3M facts - seems to be muddled.  I wouldn't necessarily count that order cancelled quite yet.  When our PM mocks POTUS, perhaps his initial reaction to things is not the best.  Seems to be good rapport with key officials however.  PS - We did that embassy thing back in the day also, didn't we?  Rescued several Americans and smuggled them out of Middle East.

Edited by Steelers36

2 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

This kind of talk will make Australia a place where people are from and not where they wish to go or visit.  I think Oz is off my bucket list now.

I just put OZ on my bucket list...

Edited by need2cruisesoon
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Passengers from the HAL ships were flown home by charter flights paid by the Aus Government. 

Hmm... HAL booked a commercial flight from SFO to Sydney but the flight crew refused to fly with the HAL passengers.

image.png.1cfcb3f4fdc3bc6ddcd902c2e2cf3984.png

2 hours ago, Fat Albert said:

The POTUS did not try to block the Grand. He was listening to the advice of the infectious control experts and wished to bring the medical aid to the ship. The POTUS never took any executive control over either situation. He spoke to the Governor of Californai and he spoke to Gov of Florida and after they talked the ships came into port. You post  we have no right to criticize another country when we refused humanitarian aid is all bullshit. When did not refuse aid to any ships anywhere. We have brought ALL of them into our ports.  What have you done for our country? What branch did you serve in the Armed Forces? What organization do you volunteer for?  You sound like a typical elite piece of punk.

It is on video tape like everything trump says and he specifically said that he did not want the pax on the Grand to enter the USA and increase the number of COVID-19 patients even though there were many Americans on board that ship.  The tape does not lie.  We accepted several hundred of them at Lackland AFB in San Antonio and kept them in isolation for the required two weeks.  Those who did develop COVID-19 were taken to a local hospital for recovery.  This is what real Americans do for our fellow countrymen. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Hmm... HAL booked a commercial flight from SFO to Sydney but the flight crew refused to fly with the HAL passengers.

image.png.1cfcb3f4fdc3bc6ddcd902c2e2cf3984.png

Let's see ... people have died on ships from coronavirus.

There are currently thousands of people (crew) stuck on ships with no way to get home.

And, these people's flight was delayed, and they didn't get breakfast in their hotel!?!?

I'm crying on the inside.

5 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Let's see ... people have died on ships from coronavirus.

There are currently thousands of people (crew) stuck on ships with no way to get home.

And, these people's flight was delayed, and they didn't get breakfast in their hotel!?!?

I'm crying on the inside.

And I'd like to know why HAL thought a commercial flight was appropriate when the Australian Government had already set up a charter flight for repatriation. 

Edited by Pushka