Princess cruise ships waiting of the coast of Australia told to go home

John99

40 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yeah,  I can see US Border Control loaning me some money because I spent it all. 

You don't know unless you ask!    Besides, we have a special love for Australians -- even if your country is too damn hot and has too many creatures that can kill.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

You don't know unless you ask!    Besides, we have a special affinity for Australians -- even if your country is too damn hot and has too many things that can kill.

Yeah agree on the heat thing! We are usually pretty laid back down under but this damn virus has got everyone on edge. We have been in significant lockdown for weeks and we are getting a bit antsy and we have winter coming up as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Yeah agree on the heat thing! We are usually pretty laid back down under but this damn virus has got everyone on edge. We have been in significant lockdown for weeks and we are getting a bit antsy and we have winter coming up as well. 

I visited Alice a couple of years ago and it was 37 degrees C in early September.  No thanks!  Not even the wait to enter the USA is that hot. 

7 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

...Besides, we have a special love for Australians -- even if your country is too damn hot and has too many creatures that can kill.

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yeah agree on the heat thing! We are usually pretty laid back down under but this damn virus has got everyone on edge...

OK guys, let's settle this...  How about  a great white shark from Brisbane versus an orca killer whale from Bainbridge.  Hmm....  🙄

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I checked on behalf or these folks.   There is an australian consulate in Los Angeles.

Maybe the Consulate-General could have arranged for some breakfast vouchers...

I read a couple of posts that implied the Aussies were expecting a bit much when they wanted vouchers for a meal. However, keep in mind that they had been flown from Florida (maybe a six hour flight?). It was stated that there would be no meal service on the plane but I hope they had a snack and a drink placed on each seat as happened on the flights from Japan. They arrived at San Francisco airport in the evening and after lining up, were told that they couldn't get on the plane: instead they were to go to a hotel, a hotel that didn't have a restaurant where they could buy dinner then breakfast the next morning.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that someone should have organised food for them when they arrived at the hotel, then again the next morning.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Well...  the US for instance.  My parents and I emigrated here from a communist country long ago and we were welcomed with open arms and given "generosity" for several months courtesy of the US taxpayer.  And for the record I alone (not counting my parents) have repaid that generosity 8,000 times fold by way of taxes, taxes that I have gladly paid for the privilege I was granted.  There is much negative talk about the US these days, some perhaps well deserved, but I can tell you from personal experience that there is much good in the US as well.  Few countries would have accepted immigrants like we have.

Australia has welcomed people from many parts of the world: people who want to settle here, as your parents did in USA. After WWII, in proportion to its population, Australia took the largest proportion of displaced persons from Europe. This has continued to the present day with refugees as well as immigrants coming from many countries, well maybe until last month!

The backpackers come here usually for 12  months for a working holiday, with no intention of making a life here. The requirements to get their visa include the fact that they have to have enough money to get home.

• Like 1

I mentioned in a previous post that a large group of backpackers was partying at Bondi Beach in Sydney in contravention of the regulations on social distances and also on the number of people who can be in one venue at the same time. One young man boasted that people were complaining about them, because "they are just jealous at us having fun".

It has been reported now that at least 20 people who were at that party have now tested positive for COVID-19. Although they are visitors who have been asked to leave the country, Australia will provide them with health care.

3 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

OK guys, let's settle this...  How about  a great white shark from Brisbane versus an orca killer whale from Bainbridge.  Hmm....  🙄

We saw Orcas in Seward last June. Simply wonderful. Thank God I did my bucket list Alaska Cruise last year. 

45BFC561-CEC3-4F4B-819C-3CFE993ABA36.thumb.jpeg.4ca9da85890ace8f05076b65c61921f6.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I mentioned in a previous post that a large group of backpackers was partying at Bondi Beach in Sydney in contravention of the regulations on social distances and also on the number of people who can be in one venue at the same time. One young man boasted that people were complaining about them, because "they are just jealous at us having fun".

It has been reported now that at least 20 people who were at that party have now tested positive for COVID-19. Although they are visitors who have been asked to leave the country, Australia will provide them with health care.

Seriously? God. And how many others have they mixed with for community spread. 

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that someone should have organised food for them when they arrived at the hotel, then again the next morning.

If I had been trapped on a ship for 21 days plus...

And, I was finally on my way home...

I think I'd be able to crack open my wallet so that Mrs. 256 and I could eat everything we would enjoy...

And I can well imagine having a long list of things that one might be angry with the cruise line about.

Breakfast voucher?   Way, way down on the list.

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

If I had been trapped on a ship for 21 days plus...

And, I was finally on my way home...

I think I'd be able to crack open my wallet so that Mrs. 256 and I could eat everything we would enjoy...

And I can well imagine having a long list of things that one might be angry with the cruise line about.

Breakfast voucher?   Way, way down on the list.

It was not a matter of being reluctant to open their wallets. I am sure they would have been happy to buy food, but they were bused to the airport, then after lining up, bused to a hotel. The problem was that they were under quarantine and they were told that the hotel did not have a restaurant where they could buy meals.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

It was not a matter of being reluctant to open their wallets. I am sure they would have been happy to buy food, but they were bused to the airport, then after lining up, bused to a hotel. The problem was that they were under quarantine and they were told that the hotel did not have a restaurant where they could buy meals.

The post I saw specifically complained about breakfast not being included,

and people with vouchers sharing with those without.

See below.

image.png.1cfcb3f4fdc3bc6ddcd902c2e2cf39

Edited by Roberto256

38 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

The post I saw specifically complained about breakfast not being included,

and people with vouchers sharing with those without.

See below.

image.png.1cfcb3f4fdc3bc6ddcd902c2e2cf39

The lack of breakfast vouchers was after they had been on a trans-continental flight with no meal service on the flight (mentioned a day or two ago), then no evening meal. I would be tired, hungry and cranky in those circumstances. 😁

It appears that there was a mix-up regarding their flight.This could be the explanation on why there was a problem with the meals.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The lack of breakfast vouchers was after they had been on a trans-continental flight with no meal service on the flight (mentioned a day or two ago), then no evening meal. I would be tired, hungry and cranky in those circumstances. 😁

Me too.   And, I'd want to eat, not whine on facebook.

If there were actually no restuarant, I'm sure someone at the front desk would have known

of a local pizza place that delivered.

Right now, all resturants in my state are closed for seating, but many are anxious to deliver.

Even places that generally don't deliver...

So, again ... crack open that wallet, let the dust out, and administer some self help.

Edited by Roberto256

7 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Me too.   And, I'd want to eat, not whine on facebook.

If there were actually no restuarant, I'm sure someone at the front desk would have known

of a local pizza place that delivered.

Right now, all resturants in my state are closed for seating, but many are anxious to deliver.

Even places that generally don't deliver...

So, again ... crack open that wallet, let the dust out, and administer some self help.

Maybe some food was arranged later. When you think about it, they were standing in line at 11.30pm (4.30am ? in Florida where they had boarded the plane). It would have been a long and tiring day. I am not surprised someone posted a message on Facebook.

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe some food was arranged later. When you think about it, they were standing in line at 11.30pm (4.30am ? in Florida where they had boarded the plane). It would have been a long and tiring day. I am not surprised someone posted a message on Facebook.

The post was at 9:13 the next morning.

That's why it discusses "last night"