Appalling behavior by Oceania management

laserboi

I had posted to this string because the OP raised some points that I hadn't seen addressed in other strings.  Like , our local, regional and Federal authorities were recommending that we not travel by air (it's hard to get from Seattle to Miami without flying) or embark on any cruise. By Monday 2 March, most major cruise lines had announced modifications in their cancellation policies.  NCL/Oceania was notable for having not announced any changes.  To provide further context for my initial comment on this string, on 5 March I sent the following e-mail to Oceania (via our TA):

Dear xxxxx:

As our contact person at Oceania, I am writing to you with the request that you forward my concerns to the appropriate person.  I am requesting a timely response as we depart for Miami in a few days (Monday, 9 March 2020) for our planned Oceania cruise embarking on 11 March.

As a licensed physician as well as representing our party of seven, I am inquiring if Oceania will provide a full refund of our fares should we decide to cancel.  Active cases of COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) are spreading throughout the world.  A confirmed case of COVID-19 infection has been reported in the Dominican Republic (one country of destination on our Oceania Itinerary).  Three confirmed cases have been reported in St. Barts.  Two of those individuals were found to be infected with COVID-19 while trying to fly out of St. Maarten.  Thus, three countries of destination on our Oceania itinerary now have confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection.  Moreover, today the St. Lucia news reports five confirmed cases in French Guiana.  Many Caribbean islands do not have the capacity to test for COVID-19 nor quarantine infected residents.  Thus, the number of active cases in and around the Caribbean is most likely higher than the reported numbers.

And as you know, several thousand cruise ship passengers travel to and from the Caribbean islands on a daily basis, which will enable the rapid and thorough spread of COVID-19 throughout the Caribbean.

And once Oceania passengers disembark from the ship, Oceania Cruises will be unable to prevent the spread of COVID-19 amongst its passengers.

By the date of our planned departure, several of the planned ports of call could be closed for excursion—either because Oceania determines the situation is unsafe or because the port refuses visits from our ship’s passengers.

Oceania Cruises protocol for excluding travel for passengers from “China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy under a quarantine order by the Italian Government” is no longer adequate.  In fact, my wife and reside in Kirkland, WA—locus of the largest number of deaths due to COVID-19 in the US.  Our local fire station is closed for quarantine; multiple schools and corporate buildings are closed; authorities recommend that individuals over 60 (five of the seven in our party) avoid crowds.

In short, we are becoming concerned that we will not have the cruise experience that we signed up for.  No cruise line could guarantee the safety of its passengers in such circumstances.  Moreover, no cruise company could guarantee that its passengers (whether guest or staff) will not become the vectors for transmission of COVID-19 throughout the ship, the ports visited, or even modes of transportation utilized to travel to the port of embarkation/disembarkation.

Thus, we are inquiring if our fares can be refunded should we decide in the next few days not to travel. 

23 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

was that before the said Feb meeting?

it was analyst conference call...  don't remember the date.  He was somewhat rude, when he thanked the analysts for the "mostly" relevant questions.  The mostly was the one question on COVID on Norwegian ships...

Edited by PaulMCO

Oceania’ failure for reimbursement for a trip departing on 3/13 and I cancelled on 3/10. Oceania was aware the Marina was denied right to dock on 3/15 since the captain had already advised existing passengers of the diversion . My group had been blogging with passengers and upgraded to PH in case of subsequent substitution. I am 82 years old and high risk therefore unable to take the exposure. Oceania booked air as part of OLife upgrade so was aware of our 3/13 Delta flight to LIM. My friends cancelled on 3/12. Within 1 hour of their cancellation, Oceania finally announced the cancellation of all cruises and the policy to refund 100% cash or 150% voucher.

my agent said I forfeited all monies since I cancelled on 3/10 and the other 3 would get 100% in voucher because they cancelled before any policy announced.  How is this logical or fair. I’m penalized for their indecision? 
Having sailed over 50 times, I can sympathize with the travel industry’s dilemma but the passengers suffered too; both emotionally and financially. Please treat each passenger on the manifest equally not dependent on the timing of communication.  Booking # 2709179 / 182

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

was that before the said Feb meeting?

56 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

it was analyst conference call...  don't remember the date.  He was somewhat rude, when he thanked the analysts for the "mostly" relevant questions.  The mostly was the one question on COVID on Norwegian ships...

It was February 20 . Here's the transcript...not that I bothered to read it :

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/02/20/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-nclh-q4-2019-earnin.aspx

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It was February 20 . Here's the transcript...not that I bothered to read it :

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/02/20/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-nclh-q4-2019-earnin.aspx

So it  sounds like the meeting was  before the  virus was discovered on the Riviera

3 hours ago, Jodobbins said:

Oceania’ failure for reimbursement for a trip departing on 3/13 and I cancelled on 3/10. Oceania was aware the Marina was denied right to dock on 3/15 since the captain had already advised existing passengers of the diversion . My group had been blogging with passengers and upgraded to PH in case of subsequent substitution. I am 82 years old and high risk therefore unable to take the exposure. Oceania booked air as part of OLife upgrade so was aware of our 3/13 Delta flight to LIM. My friends cancelled on 3/12. Within 1 hour of their cancellation, Oceania finally announced the cancellation of all cruises and the policy to refund 100% cash or 150% voucher.

my agent said I forfeited all monies since I cancelled on 3/10 and the other 3 would get 100% in voucher because they cancelled before any policy announced.  How is this logical or fair. I’m penalized for their indecision? 
Having sailed over 50 times, I can sympathize with the travel industry’s dilemma but the passengers suffered too; both emotionally and financially. Please treat each passenger on the manifest equally not dependent on the timing of communication.  Booking # 2709179 / 182

Oceania is working with my TA to rectify a mistake made when my reservation was cancelled on 3/10. My name and all info was removed so the agent is trying to reinstate me for a negotiated reimbursement 

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

So it  sounds like the meeting was  before the  virus was discovered on the Riviera

Yes, our cruise on Riviera did not sail until February 26, and the passenger was helicoptered to a hospital in Mayaguez,  Puerto Rico on March 9, at which time he was tested for the virus.  We disembarked on March 11.

In my opinion there seems to be a lot of blaming of Oceania on many threads these past few weeks where the fault seems to more appropriately be mistakes made by the travel agent or poor communication/information exchanges between the client and his travel agent.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Jodobbins said:

Oceania’ failure for reimbursement for a trip departing on 3/13 and I cancelled on 3/10. Oceania was aware the Marina was denied right to dock on 3/15 since the captain had already advised existing passengers of the diversion .

You cancelled on the 10th  then Oceania cancelled  later  & now you want them  to reinstate the booking  so you can get the refund??  😲

44 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You cancelled on the 10th  then Oceania cancelled  later  & now you want them  to reinstate the booking  so you can get the refund??  😲

Lyn-

Don't you understand that the Terms and Conditions you agree to when booking don't apply if you don't like the outcome of your own actions? 🙄  Everyone should be an exception. 🤓   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The trip left on 3/13. The ship wasn’t allowed to dock in LIM so I cancelled to fall outside the 48 hour restriction imposed by other lines. I understood I fell within the guidelines for the Travel Assurance Program for no penalty cancellation. I was packed and ready to go on, Oceania knew they would be cancelling but delayed the announcement. My cancellation on 3/10 to get reimbursement for a trip I knew wasn’t going 

The trip left on 3/13. The ship wasn’t allowed to dock in LIM so I cancelled to fall outside the 48 hour restriction imposed by other lines. I understood I fell within the guidelines for the Travel Assurance Program for no penalty cancellation. I was packed and ready to go on, Oceania knew they would be cancelling but delayed the announcement. My cancellation on 3/10 to getreimbursement for a trip I knew wasn’t going 

On 4/10/2020 at 11:39 AM, CaptainR said:

One small correction to your posting in that we were given the option of 100% refund or 150% FCC and not the 125% that has been posted.  The future cruise desk was crowded with many passengers taking advantage of the 150% FCC to book a new cruise.  We certainly were part of that crowd.

@CaptainRPlease share the official Oceania communication informing you that an individual was evacuated from the Riviera on 9 March (according to @CintiPam) prior to your 11 March sailing.

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey Lebowski said:

@CintiPamYou've twice referenced the 26 February sailing of the Riviera where a single individual was COVID-19 test-positive and evacuated from the cruise. Please share the official Oceania communication regarding this event.

Not Pam  but  I believe  Oceania found out after the cruise  that a person tested positive  

Kitty posted  Mar 19th

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2742615-feb-26-riviera-cruise-had-a-corona-virus-passenger/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeffrey Lebowski said:

@CintiPamYou've twice referenced the 26 February sailing of the Riviera where a single individual was COVID-19 test-positive and evacuated from the cruise. Please share the official Oceania communication regarding this event.

I refer you to two threads on this Oceania board for the complete narrative.  One is titled: “Feb. 26 Riviera Cruise Had A Corona Virus Passenger” and the other titled: “Watch: 87 YO passenger with COVID-19 airlifted from Oceania ship in recovery!”  They last garnered comments on March 23 and March 21, respectively.

As you will read in those threads, the gentleman was not diagnosed with COVID-19 until several days after he was helicoptered off Riviera.  Oceania’s communication was sent to me by email on March 19 at the request of the CDC. It refers to one guest on my cruise being diagnosed with COVID-19. If it had not been for my reading of the latter thread, I never would have known anything regarding which passenger was diagnosed with it. 

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

Hey Jeff – As requested I have attached (of course that would depend if I actually used the Cruise Critic posting system correctly) the CDC notice I received from Oceania regarding possible exposure to COVID-19.  Similar to others who have posted here at Cruise Critic I received the notice from Oceania in an email on March 19.  In anticipation of a possible additional inquiry I will affirm that I have absolutely no direct knowledge if a passenger was infected by COVID-19 when they where onboard the Riviera nor has Oceania provided any confirmation as to whether a passenger was infected during the February 26 cruise. Oceania only confirmed that CDC provided notification to Oceania that a passenger who sailed on the February 26 sailing has tested posted for COVID-19.

The context of the Oceania notification email has been previously posted on Cruise Critic but I will repost:

The safety and security of our guests and crew are at all times our first priority.  You are receiving this communication because our records indicate that you were a passenger on the March 11, 2020 voyage of the Riviera.  Oceania Cruises has been provided information by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that a guest who traveled aboard the vessel on the February 26, 2020 voyage of the Riviera has tested positive for COVID-19.  At this time, we are aware of no other similar cases from this voyage or the March 11, 2020 voyage and none of our crew are experiencing any symptoms whatsoever.  However, in an abundance of caution, the CDC has asked that we forward the attached to you for your review and consideration

CaptainR

CDC Maritime_INFOCard_ExposedTraveler.pdf

On 17 April 2020 at 4:02 PM, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Was this in a personal communication to you or was it a general announcement? I haven’t seen anything here in Australia.

It was in a personal e.mail but it was quoted to me as an extract from the generic policy statement issued in mid March. Can't recall seeing those precise words but the principle of a 100% refund was certainly contained within it.

• Thanks 1

Haven't received copy of ticket contract (legally binding) for my May 25th cruise however refer to page 2 of a previous Oceania ticket contract I have highlighted in yellow section which states you are entitled to 100% refund if they cancel cruise. 

I think it is unethical & unconscionable that they have not yet cancelled this cruise as the 3 countries to be visited are UK, France & Spain who yesterday all were in the top 5 countries  with reported new cases, total deaths & new deaths due to COVID 19.

IMPORTANT NOTICE_ THESE ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AS OUR GUEST AND OCEANIA CRUI.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJRVancouver said:

Haven't received copy of ticket contract (legally binding) for my May 25th cruise however refer to page 2 of a previous Oceania ticket contract I have highlighted in yellow section which states you are entitled to 100% refund if they cancel cruise. 

I think it is unethical & unconscionable that they have not yet cancelled this cruise as the 3 countries to be visited are UK, France & Spain who yesterday all were in the top 5 countries  with reported new cases, total deaths & new deaths due to COVID 19.

IMPORTANT NOTICE_ THESE ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AS OUR GUEST AND OCEANIA CRUI.pdf 225.82 kB · 4 downloads

The guest ticket contract is always on the website. It hasn't changed since September 2018. The provision you cited hasn't changed.  Here's a link to the current contract:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf

Your cruise will be canceled. They will have no choice. Just be patient for a couple of more days. They're not morons. Haven't you noticed that cancellations have been rolled out a few weeks at a time? They are doing that to preserve cash flow and manage their workload.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, LJRVancouver said:

You did not get  the T & C with your invoice  when you booked the cruise??

As previously stated  just wait until they cancel if you are passed final payment date

Yes it is frustrating that they did not cancel all cruises for  2020  but if they did you may be waiting  a long time for the refund

JMO

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You did not get  the T & C with your invoice  when you booked the cruise??

As previously stated  just wait until they cancel if you are passed final payment date

Yes it is frustrating that they did not cancel all cruises for  2020  but if they did you may be waiting  a long time for the refund

JMO

My trip was cancelled 1 day before we were to go. I knew from other postings it was going to be ‘officially’ cancelled so cancelled 3 days in advance. Others cancelled 1 day  before and benefitted financially so I’d advise out waiting them.

2 hours ago, Jodobbins said:

My trip was cancelled 1 day before we were to go. I knew from other postings it was going to be ‘officially’ cancelled so cancelled 3 days in advance. Others cancelled 1 day  before and benefitted financially so I’d advise out waiting them.

That is abominable! Certainly hope you and/or your TA are fighting for you to get a refund. I'm holding out - if they have not cancelled 3 days before embarkation date & Marina still moored in Miami I'll risk the wait.

53 minutes ago, LJRVancouver said:

That is abominable! Certainly hope you and/or your TA are fighting for you to get a refund. I'm holding out - if they have not cancelled 3 days before embarkation date & Marina still moored in Miami I'll risk the wait.

No..it's not abominable, it's the choice the poster made and they're not entitled to a second bite of the apple because they now regret making the choice. I canceled a cruise and paid a monetary cancellation penalty because I didn't like the looks of what was reading at the beginning of the pandemic,  before the cruise lines had even initiated their first modifications to their cancellation penalties. The cruise line (not Oceania by the way) eventually canceled my cruise. I'm not going back and complaining about the fact that I could have gotten 100% of my fare refunded if I had decided to wait out the situation. I made a choice that I decided was in my own best interests and knew full well that I would have to pay a cancellation penalty. I accepted that then, and I accept it now. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm the one responsible for the consequences of my decisions, not a cruise line nor any other person or organization.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1