Repairing a trashed image

InDaPast

Howdy All

I've been a many year browser on this site & have enjoyed reading your posts, reviews, etc.

Have taken several cruises in the past, the longest being for my 2nd honeymoon...err....that's the 1st honeymoon with the 2nd wife which was from our home in Portland, OR, (a few minutes to where the ship was right after the wedding), to FL via the canal. I think the voyage was close to a month long. Portland isn't a usual embarking point, but the HAL ship was in dry-dock & we combined it's next 3 cruises which started in other cities to make it one long voyage.

Anyway, the reason I've signed up here is to get your feedback on a subject that's been floating in me mind since this whole mess started.

The cruise lines have spent millions of dollars telling us what fun & happy places their ships are. They've told us that they want nothing more than to make us happy. I won't even touch on the nightmares that have happened on ships with stricken passengers in the last few weeks, but am interested in another aspect.

I've read the overwhelming number of posts about difficulties folks have had in trying to get their money back & the roadblocks that have been put in place by the same companies noted above.

Soooo...don't you think that even in the future when vaccines to prevent/cure this curse is available, those same companies will have damaged their reputations to such an extent, that it will be years before people start trusting them again. I'm of the opinion that the idustry has negated millions of dollars worth of advertising (& years of it) by their shortsightedness, or lack of a reserve cash fund.

As an aside, is there a cruise line that has acted above board with all of their customers (not just in isolated occurrences) in promptly refunding monies paid? If there is, that company should be at the top of anyone's potential cruise list.

Will be looking forward to your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, InDaPast said:

Howdy All

I've been a many year browser on this site & have enjoyed reading your posts, reviews, etc.

Have taken several cruises in the past, the longest being for my 2nd honeymoon...err....that's the 1st honeymoon with the 2nd wife which was from our home in Portland, OR, (a few minutes to where the ship was right after the wedding), to FL via the canal. I think the voyage was close to a month long. Portland isn't a usual embarking point, but the HAL ship was in dry-dock & we combined it's next 3 cruises which started in other cities to make it one long voyage.

Anyway, the reason I've signed up here is to get your feedback on a subject that's been floating in me mind since this whole mess started.

The cruise lines have spent millions of dollars telling us what fun & happy places their ships are. They've told us that they want nothing more than to make us happy. I won't even touch on the nightmares that have happened on ships with stricken passengers in the last few weeks, but am interested in another aspect.

I've read the overwhelming number of posts about difficulties folks have had in trying to get their money back & the roadblocks that have been put in place by the same companies noted above.

Soooo...don't you think that even in the future when vaccines to prevent/cure this curse is available, those same companies will have damaged their reputations to such an extent, that it will be years before people start trusting them again. I'm of the opinion that the idustry has negated millions of dollars worth of advertising (& years of it) by their shortsightedness, or lack of a reserve cash fund.

As an aside, is there a cruise line that has acted above board with all of their customers (not just in isolated occurrences) in promptly refunding monies paid? If there is, that company should be at the top of anyone's potential cruise list.

Will be looking forward to your thoughts.

I haven’t been personally affected by a cancelled or truncated cruise during this pandemic, but from everything I’ve read, Viking has been above board with all of their customers throughout, and continues to be so.  

Many of the people who cruise frequently, could be several times a year, will continue to cruise. There are threads on this website disparaging other types of vacations. Similar to many other special interest sites, you'll find cheerleaders for cruising.  Almost all of the cruise problems in the news these days are not caused by the cruise lines. People are expecting instant cash refunds. The cruise lines are trying to manage expectations but people are being unreasonable. Some of the posts say that the cruise lines should be able to push a button and authorize a full refund. Clearly people are smoking those funny cigarettes that are now available legally in many states. Demand will be high in 2021 because of all the FCC from this year. And then, everything will be the same.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi InDaPast

Welcome to cruise critic.

I am not seeing how "The Cruise Industry" has damaged their reputation irrevocably. 

You have heard about how some people have had issues, I have heard them too, but I have also heard the same with some airlines. Have you had an issue? I haven't had an issue.

Considering the scope of what is happening in the world, I don't see how a number of problems regarding compensation for missed vacations is going to remain as a main focus in the future. 

There will indeed be many challenges for this industry as well others industries, but for those that are still viable when we come out of this, I believe what you are seeing as a significant issue being very minor when looked at as a whole. 

There are other threads which are specifically speaking to whether cruising can ever be the same. The moderators have been rolling all similar threads into one if touching on basically the same thought. Don't be surprised if the same happens to this thread.

• Like 1

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose:  The chair hogs will still hog chairs.  People will insist that their jeans are good enough for the main dining room. People will still hang wet bathing suits on their balconies. People will still say they only tip those staff people with whom they interact. People will ask about the value of the beverage package. People will continue to smuggle liquor on board. People will continue to ask if they can make a 10:00 am flight from FLL. 

Hoped for Changes:  People will wash their hands. People will use sanitizer.  Buffets will have staff servers rather than self-serve. Better internet at sea. 

• Like 2

I think the cruise industry just took a big step toward reversing its image in the public eye by sinking the piratical Venezuelan patrol boat. 

"Cruise ships: keeping the seas free"

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Hoped for Changes:  People will wash their hands. 

This change is one which may very well come to pass:

a) some people will pick up the habit of washing their hands regularly (supplemented by learning to keep their fingers out of their mouths and away from their eyes)

b) many of those who fail to pick up such habits are not likely to be around to infect their  neighbors.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, InDaPast said:

Yes aungrl, I've seen a couple of posts that indicated that, but I thought there were some folks who had problems with them.....let's see if we get further feedback on them.

Sure, let's judge these companies by how they reacted to a situation no one has faced for over 100 years.

And don't shop, in the future, at any supermarket that ran out of toilet paper.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi InDaPast

.........snip...........

You have heard about how some people have had issues, I have heard them too, but I have also heard the same with some airlines. Have you had an issue? I haven't had an issue.

.......snip........

I believe what you are seeing as a significant issue being very minor when looked at as a whole. 

........snip........

I believe the airline situation is entirely different. Folks HAVE to fly.....to do business, to socialize at the destination, have a vacation, etc.

Cruising is a luxury & a destination within itself. We pick the cruise based on our perception of how enjoyable it will be for us. That is the thrust of what the cruise companies present to the public...Choose us, we will make you feel like a millionaire, Look at how happy everyone is on our ship, Our staff loves to love you, You deserve this!

Yet now, that same industry presents a image as being less loving & friendly, when it comes to dealing with deposits. I liken it to a trophy girl/boyfriend of yours who you always thought really loved older men/women, but now realize they're really only interested in your money.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Sure, let's judge these companies by how they reacted to a situation no one has faced for over 100 years.
.snip......

I agree with you.

EDIT...I realize you were dealing in sarcasm, I should have written, "I agree with that" .

Edited by InDaPast
wrote incorrectly

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I think the cruise industry just took a big step toward reversing its image in the public eye by sinking the piratical Venezuelan patrol boat. 

"Cruise ships: keeping the seas free"

Yea, I also thought was funny (as long as no one was hurt, which appeared to be the case)....straight out of a B-grade comedy movie, eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And don't shop, in the future, at any supermarket that ran out of toilet paper.

I think they screwed up Royally, but I won't hold that against them, because they were certainly given horrible and idiotic advice. We won't be cruising, however, until (1) it is either fully eradicated, or easily detected and treated effectively early, and (2) a vaccine is proven effective. But our reason is that we both have health vulnerabilities that make us need about 99.9999% confidence, not because of how they handled it. Most people did precisely what the cruise lines did -- denial to preserve the status quo, followed by "OMG! Who knew?"

Edited by mayleeman

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I think they screwed up Royally, but I won't hold that against them, because they were certainly given horrible and idiotic advice. We won't be cruising, however, until (1) it is either fully eradicated, or easily detected and treated effectively early, and (2) a vaccine is proven effective. But our reason is that we both have health vulnerabilities that make us need about 99.9999% confidence, not because of how they handled it. Most people did precisely what the cruise lines did -- denial to preserve the status quo, followed by "OMG! Who knew?"

That is a completely different issue.  OP was complaining about the speed of refunds, not long-term shipboard issues.  I hope folks are forgiving of customer service lapses everywhere, in view of the dislocations EVERYONE is going through.  As non-essential businesses, employees at cruiselines and travel agencies may not even be allowed to go to work, in some jurisdictions.  Not every company is set up for changing over to work at home.  I was just making a case for forbearance.

@Toofarfromthesea I was not seeing the cash refunds in isolation, but considering that as a minor corollary to the delays and changes in canceling cruises, the FCC mixups, and the continued fantasy of booking cruises that will in all likelihood get cancelled. Their moving the goalposts approach to cruise cancellations shows they have relied on cherry-picked statements that the whole epidemic could go away in one to 3 months. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InDaPast said:

I believe the airline situation is entirely different. Folks HAVE to fly.....to do business, to socialize at the destination, have a vacation, etc.

Hi

Sorry, but your logic escapes me.

Just as before. Cruising is a choice. If you feel the cruise lines were unfair to people andat it affects your perception of their business practices, then don't cruise again. Is that what you are trying to ask? Whether the way they have handled cancellations is going to affect our decision to cruise in the future? 

If so, I would suggest, first there has to be a cruise industry that survives. Then people have to feel that it is safe to cruise. I believe way down on the list of things they will actually be worried about will be how they handled the return of funds during this crisis. Somehow I keep thinking that there will be more substantial things to consider in the future.

• Like 2

The only way to handle a ''fiasco'' is get it all out, tell the whole truth .Admit where you fouled it up and do better( not just say it) . They should also talk to the people who they want back and get their  input and listen to them. They or anyone else know's how this will play out and they should say as much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

Admit where you fouled it up and do better( not just say it) .

Yikes, if this idea gets popular governments around the world will be falling daily! But, seriously, I agree wholeheartedly. It is the denial and refusal to figure out solutions that holds much progress back, both for businesses and government. 

Wells Fargo made a big show of what you are talking about, and it really boosted their trashed image...until it was revealed that they did far more bad stuff than the fake accounts they fessed up to. And worse, were still doing it throughout the public atonement.

So whatever the recovery process, it will be important for all questions and issues to be dealt with quickly and fairly. Without, I might add, people getting different info every time they call. Customer service training must be complete and rigorous, anticipating all the issues. Any case requiring CEO emails to obtain an answer should result in heads rolling.

Compare Tylenol's handling of its tampering crisis (considered a shining example of how to survive by being open and fixing something) with the airbag debacle over the past 5 years.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

I can’t speak for anyone else, only myself, but I am ready to cruise again as soon as it is an option. It will be a lot longer before I am willing to fly. It’s going to be hard to not view planes as death traps after this - considering the close quarters and impossibility of any kind of social distancing. I have to admit though I probably won’t sail Princess or Holland America after this. Other cruise lines had no incidents, no stranding days sea, and no ships still sailing around several weeks after the extent of the epidemic was obvious. How did sick people get on those lines and not others? I will be sticking with those other lines. I got a 150% credit back for my canceled cruise and am satisfied with that. Got tier level points on the cruise even though it didn’t sail, too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

......snip.....

If you feel the cruise lines were unfair to people andat it affects your perception of their business practices, then don't cruise again. Is that what you are trying to ask? Whether the way they have handled cancellations is going to affect our decision to cruise in the future? 

......snip......

I believe way down on the list of things they will actually be worried about will be how they handled the return of funds during this crisis. Somehow I keep thinking that there will be more substantial things to consider in the future.

Yes, I definitely will judge a cruise company on how they've dealt with their customer's deposits. It won't be the only consideration on who gets my money, but will count for a major part of my decision making for my next cruise. (I have no deposits on any cruise now).

For many folks, the money paid for a cruise might be substantial for them. Having that money tied up for a FCC for a long time for a trip that may or may not be able to make, might be very worrisome to them.

• Like 3

A comment was made whether it's right to judge a company on a once in a 100 year event. I say, absolutely!

Do we judge the Captain of the Costa Concordia on his appearance & charm? Or is he judged on what decisions he made before & during the sinking of his ship (a once in a lifetime event for most people involved)? I think any company should be judged on how they act during a crises.

Full disclosure..I'm retired from a profession that constantly taught & trained for situations where everything goes wrong. 90% of my work was routine, the remaining 10% was very stressful. During that 10% time a moment might occur where you had to make a split second decision. If you made the wrong one you or someone else might die........your career might be over or you might go to prison. If you choose correctly, you may be a hero or just receive a pat on the back.  We constantly trained for that event. Fortunately, I never faced that moment.

I tell people that Law Enforcement/Fire Dept/Military & certain health care folks don't earn their salary most of the time. They earn their pay because they may have to make a life & death decision & live (or die) with the consequences.

IOWs, when the poo-poo hits the fan, reputations are made or sunk.

I've just watched >>>

https://viking.tv/index/story/a-message-from-our-chairman

I'm impressed. He states that sailings are cancelled until July 1 & that folks who are booked will be offered a 125% FCC or refund. It sounds straight forward enough. It's the kind of straight talk I appreciate. I'm interested in what you all think about it.

I do see your point. The fact is this is an unprecedent situation and cruise companies are acting like these are normal cancellations. We don't know what these companies will look like post pandemic, there is no way to know if the credit you receive will be worth the same value if they restructure their comapanies. And people are still waiting for their cruises to be cancelled, the companies leave it to the last minute just hoping that they can collect some cancellation fees even though the countries they are meant to cruise to have their borders closed. It is just treating customers like their stupid. They keep trying to peddle this idea that everything will just go back to normal some time soon  but who are they kidding? The world will change in some way I would rather the companies just admit they don't what will happen in the future and act like this is a unique global situation, not just business as usual.

• Like 3