Wow. Will never cruise MSC again

golferwife

A little background.  diamond on MSC and always cruise Yacht Club.  I was booked with my daughter on the Seaside in June. My 28 year old daughter recently went through breast cancer, chemo, radiation, mastectomy, the whole works.  This was supposed to be something for her to look forward to.  Her oncologist said there is no way she could cruise in June based on what is going on in the world. Instead of canceling, I paid the $35 to change the reservation to my husbands name. Since he was not interested in any of the shore excursions I prebooked with my daughter, I cancelled $700 worth of excursions. They only credited my credit card 50%, even though they sent me a confirmation that I would be credited 100%. I escalated and got an email today that there position stands. It doesn’t cost them anything. The cruise is more than 70 days away. I will be canceling and never book with them again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I do think shore excursions can be cancelled up to two days before the excursion.  It must have something to do with your daughter "cancelling".  You should have cancelled the excursions first then changed the names after that.  Not sure how much help you will get now, good luck but don't state you will never cruise with them again as that will get you nothing.  Insurance?  Cancelling now will lose 50% of the entire fare and most insurance will not cover that.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

I did. I cancelled the excursions before I did the name change.  I did it a month ago and it just showed up on my credit card and I just escalated And they responded they are only doing 50% refunds even though I cancelled about 90 days 

I was trying to support them and not cancel the whole trip. I deserve the full refund   If not; I will take the full refund When they cancel the cruise and stick with celebrity.  On Celebrity We were able to get a full refund for all of our excursions and move the money to a cruise nine months out. I am not feeling the same support from MSC.we sail about  5 times a year and are shocked they would not give us a full refund for excursions in June when we cancelled them in April. 

Sorry to hear that MSC would take advantage of you like that.  Sometimes they are clueless.  When they would not refund my deposit after I cancelled prior to final payment I escalated to the credit card company.  It took four months, but I got my deposit back.

Same thing happened to me when I canceled another shore excursion on my September cruise about 2 weeks ago. I received two emails with the amount of $106.00 refunded, one for each of us but both with my name. Then I received another email listed both our names and that the total of $212.00 was successfully refunded.

When I checked for the credit which I received about 4 days later It was only for $106.00. I called the credit card company to see if the other one was coming thinking maybe they thought it was a duplicate. They didn’t see it so I forwarded all 3 emails to the CSR I was speaking to. They immediately gave me a provisional credit and then we’re going to dispute it with MSC because they had the emails as proof. 

This was the second excursion I canceled with them and I had no issue with the first refund. There were two credits for $100.00 each so my credit card company could see how MSC did it previously especially after I copied and pasted all the MSC charges in my forwarded email to them. 

45 minutes ago, golferwife said:

United States

Actually I think even if it were reversed it shouldn't matter, even if pre-cruise she outright cancelled the extra things like excursions, dining packages, port taxes and pre-paid gratuities are 100% refundable.  If you cancelled the excursions before changing the passenger name then MSC unquestionably needs to refund the money to the credit card.  What brand did you use?  Most cards have a dispute policy regarding these type matters and you have the email proof that the whole amount was to be refunded.  Additionally, MSC US policy is pretty clear that excursions can be cancelled up to two days before the excursion date for full refund.  Since you were told verbally you will now only get 50% rather than this is just a delay from the many refunds MSC has to process I would use that for grounds to file the credit card dispute.  Discuss this situation with your card provider.

18 hours ago, golferwife said:

Since he was not interested in any of the shore excursions I prebooked with my daughter, I cancelled $700 worth of excursions. They only credited my credit card 50%, even though they sent me a confirmation that I would be credited 100%. I escalated and got an email today that there position stands. It doesn’t cost them anything. The cruise is more than 70 days away. I will be canceling and never book with them again.  

MSC refunded you the portion that was booked in your name. 

The other half is floating around out there as credit in your daughter's name as she is the name on the reservation.

A similar thing happened to me as I had to cancel plane reservations for my daughter and I for a trip that was  canceled.  I paid for the tickets, however, I was only given credit for my flight costs. 

My daughter received the credit for the flight booked in her name.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

MSC refunded you the portion that was booked in your name. 

The other half is floating around out there as credit in your daughter's name as she is the name on the reservation.

A similar thing happened to me as I had to cancel plane reservations for my daughter and I for a trip that was  canceled.  I paid for the tickets, however, I was only given credit for my flight costs. 

My daughter received the credit for the flight booked in her name.

I wish that was the case but it is not. A rep told me they are only giving 50% refunds.  I am escalating because I have in writing I was to get 100% and their website also states cancelled excursions would be refunded. I will continue to escalate but not the easiest company to navigate.  

Check MSC's terms and conditions for shore excursions or even better see if there was a cancellation policy on any confirmation you may have received. If either of those state that you can cancel up to two days prior and get full refund then just dispute the charge with the credit card company. If you don't have back up then it might be harder to fight but I'd still try.

• Like 2

Here's a link to the MSC US page that clearly states shore excursions can be changed or cancelled up to two days before departure date.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Manage-Your-Booking/Terms-Conditions-Excursions-Special-Services.aspx

"If you buy the prepaid shore excursion the full payment must be made at the time of booking by credit card. The shore excursions can be booked, modified or cancelled either up to 2 days before cruise departure either on board. If you cancel the shore excursion booked before cruise commences, no cancellation fees will be applied, provided that such cancellation is done 2 days before the departure date through MSC Cruises Website. "

ETA: I don''t think they can charge 50% if you had to do it through a phone agent.

Edited by Até

5 hours ago, Até said:

Here's a link to the MSC US page that clearly states shore excursions can be changed or cancelled up to two days before departure date.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Manage-Your-Booking/Terms-Conditions-Excursions-Special-Services.aspx

"If you buy the prepaid shore excursion the full payment must be made at the time of booking by credit card. The shore excursions can be booked, modified or cancelled either up to 2 days before cruise departure either on board. If you cancel the shore excursion booked before cruise commences, no cancellation fees will be applied, provided that such cancellation is done 2 days before the departure date through MSC Cruises Website. "

ETA: I don''t think they can charge 50% if you had to do it through a phone agent.

I hate to be a stickler, but the snipet from the MSC webpage says that the excurions can be canceled and no cancellation fees (read as extra cost over and above the price of the excursion) will be applied, but it does NOT mention anything about a refund...That whole section is a bit suspect since the end of the second sentence "either on board." seems to be an orphaned tought and makes no sense.

Edited by Av8tor

14 hours ago, Até said:

Thank you!  I forwarded it to the supervisor that is working on my escalation 

17 minutes ago, golferwife said:

Thank you!  I forwarded it to the supervisor that is working on my escalation 

I hate to say I wouldn't be waiting on MSC to figure this out.  It will likely take weeks or even more, then who know how long to actually process it.  They gave you a response of 50%, I'd just use that to get the CC company to get it fixed for you.  Maybe give them a week or two, it's a personal decision.  I'm still waiting on a large refund I cancelled three weeks ago.  I try not to be unreasonable, but if it doesn't post by the 15th I'm starting a dispute, they will then have 20 days to post the credit otherwise Visa considers it a delay tactic and fines them.