Future cruise credit / TA commissions

swansong

I am looking for some advice from those in the know.

I have four cruises booked over the next 12 months, one in June which I know will be cancelled, and one in September which I guess will be cancelled or which I may choose to cancel as I wouldn’t consider it safe seeing how things are going. Hopefully the others will be in better times.

I am considering my options, whether to take a refund or the FCC depending on whether Regent cancel the June cruise. The 125% FCC is a better option as I can’t get that sort of interest anywhere. I am minded to cancel the September cruise and take the 100% FCC.

I read somewhere that TAs will still keep their commission for cancelled or rebooked cruises. Does this mean that if I take FCC they will not receive commission on the replacement cruise? 

The reason I ask is that I wish to change TA as I am dissatisfied with my current. Obviously no TA is going to take a booking with no commission ( unless, of course they are thinking of future business) which means I have to stick with my current.

Any advice would be helpful in making my decisions.

Swansong our Spelndour cruise was cancelled for next week, the 16th. We opted for the £ refund route. Our TA put the application in on Tuesday morning. We know this will take some time to be processed and refunded, as Regent Southampton working from home and our TA are working in a closed office only 2 on duty at  a time.

I hadn’t considered the commission to be honest with you. She obviously deducted the substantial discount that she always gives us, that’s fine. 
We have a second cruise booked for November.  Who knows what will be happening then , too many things to consider before then. 
I think personally you just need to do what is best for you. Having a large amount of FCC sounds good, but trying to find an itinery that you like and also timing working around work schedules is the problem for many people. I had a look few days ago for alternatives for next year.  Many cruises were getting booked up, or appeared that way online and also not suitable time wise.

Hope you can find a good TA that you are comfortable with. Am sure you will get some good replies for your question, sorry I am not in the clear about it myself.  Jean.

Thanks for your reply Jean, we are retired so timing is not an issue and sometimes the ship is the destination. However, like you we receive a discount from the TA ( which has gradually reduced and is one reason for changing ) and this is a concern if we rebook using a FCC.

Our TA reassured me that her commission isn't affected if Regent cancels the cruise.  We (through her) requested a cash refund and I would've filled out the paperwork if she was getting stiffed.  I didn't ask if the commission would remain in place of I'd asked for the FCC, but I'm betting it would have since that's a better deal for Regent.

But, is this all still the case if you opt to cancel instead of waiting for Regent to do so?  Has anyone home this route and can comment?

4 hours ago, swansong said:

I read somewhere that TAs will still keep their commission for cancelled or rebooked cruises. Does this mean that if I take FCC they will not receive commission on the replacement cruise? 

The Regent policy from my TA (at least in the US) is:

"....we are protecting 100% of your commissions on any voyage we voluntarily suspended as well as protecting 100% of your commissions for any cancellations under Regent Reassurance..... we are also protecting commissions on the 100% Future Cruise Credits when you rebook your clients through the end of 2022. This includes those made for bookings canceled by our temporary suspension of operations or for those earned under Regent Reassurance."

Edited by Anchorbuoy

1 hour ago, Anchorbuoy said:

"....we are protecting 100% of your commissions on any voyage we voluntarily suspended as well as protecting 100% of your commissions for any cancellations under Regent Reassurance..... we are also protecting commissions on the 100% Future Cruise Credits when you rebook your clients through the end of 2022. This includes those made for bookings canceled by our temporary suspension of operations or for those earned under Regent Reassurance."

Does this mean the TA earns the commission for the cancelled booking and again for the new booking?

3 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Does this mean the TA earns the commission for the cancelled booking and again for the new booking?

Why do you care? They did the work on the original cruise, had to deal with he cancellation and will do more work on the future cruise. Whatever commissions they get they've earned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wripro said:

Why do you care? They did the work on the original cruise, had to deal with he cancellation and will do more work on the future cruise. Whatever commissions they get they've earned.

There is one reason for some people to care.  Many luxury TA's give a rebate based on a percentage of the cruise cost.  So, if people that rebook cruises with their FCC's, they may not be receiving the rebate.  Other than that, is is really one of our business.

6 minutes ago, wripro said:

Besides the reason mentioned by TravelCat2, I also care because I am changing TAs, and this would mean I would not have to worry about which TA I use to rebook the cruise using the FCC.  I think that the TAs have more than earned their commissions in the current environment.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:13 AM, Travelcat2 said:

There is one reason for some people to care.  Many luxury TA's give a rebate based on a percentage of the cruise cost.  So, if people that rebook cruises with their FCC's, they may not be receiving the rebate.  Other than that, is is really one of our business.

I have never thought it fair that some people expect TAs to subsidize part of the cost other cruise. Especially now that they're doing three times the amount of work on some bookings. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wripro said:

I have never thought it fair that some people expect TAs to subsidize part of the cost other cruise. Especially now that they're doing three times the amount of work on some bookings. 

I don't disagree with you but understand that the "rebates" help TA's get new clients.  I look at it as an advertising cost.  Agree that they have worked extremely hard and will continue to do so until the virus is stopped.  So, I believe that TA's received commission for cancelled cruises and should receive commission for cruises booked with FCC's as well.

I received an email just now from the accounting department of my travel agency asking for a refund of my rebate check.  II wonder why that is given that the agency's commission is protected

On 4/4/2020 at 1:13 PM, Travelcat2 said:

As we are attempting to find a new TA (our TA just retired March 1st), what is the approximate percentage rebate awarded for a Regent cruise?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, boblerm said:

I received an email just now from the accounting department of my travel agency asking for a refund of my rebate check.  II wonder why that is given that the agency's commission is protected

Bob - did you take a cash refund instead of FCC's?  It seems that there are differences for people that took cash vs. those that took FCC's.  For example, if you took the FCC's you get credit for the cancelled cruise.  If you take cash, you do not get credit.

ddsun1 - Really sorry but we are not supposed to discuss TA's, rebates, etc.  Wish that we could!

7 hours ago, boblerm said:

Wow! That's interesting! I think I would tell them sorry, money has already been spent!

5 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

As we are attempting to find a new TA (our TA just retired March 1st), what is the approximate percentage rebate awarded for a Regent cruise?

Thanks!

Doubt you'll get an answer here, due to rules. You better consult the internet

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Bob - did you take a cash refund instead of FCC's?  It seems that there are differences for people that took cash vs. those that took FCC's.  For example, if you took the FCC's you get credit for the cancelled cruise.  If you take cash, you do not get credit.

Jackie, I cancelled out of our cruise a couple of days before Regent pulled the plug, so I did not have the option of a cash refund. Under the Regent Reassurance plan I received FCC (100% rather than 125 %, but oh well).  I immediately used that FCC to book another cruise in 2021, so I really don't understand why I should be expected to return my rebate.  I have written to the company asking for additional rationale.

4 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Wow! That's interesting! I think I would tell them sorry, money has already been spent!

I would actually have no issue with returning the money if the agency was being screwed out of their commission, but from what I understand, that is not the case.  

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I have not heard of a TA giving a rebate before you sail.  Generally they will send it after you are safely on board and their commission is secure.

The agency that I use sends a check along with our final cruise documents.  I always assumed that the commissions were assured once we are inside the 75 days in which 100% of the fare is forfeited ( I don't know this to be fact, just assumed that they wouldn't lay out the cash unless they were secure).

• Like 1

Our TA sends the rebate check when we return home.  I get very confused on exactly how the rebate check amount is calculated. My TA has explained but I can never get the dollar amount to work out. Not a big issue as she is a great TA and works very hard and has always gotten reductions if the prices fall even after final payments. 

I suggest that we not allow this thread to devolve into a discussion about TA rebates, less the CC powers that be shut it down quickly.   (he says after contributing to said devolution 😮)

Pardon my naivete, what is the reason that TA rebates to clients cannot be posted/answered here?

My questioning stems from us attempting to secure a new TA who offers Regent rebates.  We are repeat Regent cruisers and have only received nominal OBC from our TA.  I have researched and some rebates were quite high and a real surprise!

Simply curious!

I thought it was mentioning the TA themselves that was off limits.  Didn't know that TA practices could not be discussed.  Can someone post the relevant section in the CC Guidelines that addresses that we can't discuss TA practices?