Future cruise credit / TA commissions

swansong

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It violates the TA contract with Regent to provide excessive OBC as it is a form of kickback. Don't get your TA in trouble.

in terms of %'s of the commisionable fare, what is "excessive"?  I've seen people touting the rebate % that they receive from their luxury TA's for some time on these forums.

1 minute ago, RJ2002 said:

in terms of %'s of the commisionable fare, what is "excessive"?  I've seen people touting the rebate % that they receive from their luxury TA's for some time on these forums.

Greater than 5%.  You can do a search on the web for the documents.

The reason I would not get an FCC for a cruise in lieu of cash, is the fact that the FCC is not insurable.

The cruise invoice you received from your TA or Regent will have the net fare.

4 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

And if it's in violation of agreements and gets eliminated because we're flapping our gums here, well, that would kind of suck, huh?

Of course, loose terminology like 'excessive' really isn't too helpful, is it?  What's excessive for one person might be stingy to another.

I just want to sail...

3 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

And if it's in violation of agreements and gets eliminated because we're flapping our gums here, well, that would kind of suck, huh?

Of course, loose terminology like 'excessive' really isn't too helpful, is it?  What's excessive for one person might be stingy to another.

I just want to sail...

Agree, let's just sail again!!!!

• Like 2

Of course all of us want to sail again - soon!

The conundrum is in that some Regent cruisers receive rebates working with TAs and others do not.  Just read on a CC Regent thread from September 2018 that one member by mistake received their agent's invoice noting 17% commission and rebating 10% to their client.

I am sure most will agree that a 10% (or whatever %) rebate is better than no rebate at all!

Cruise lines generally pay a % (less than 17%) of a portion of the fare. That goes to the main office. The agent, unless he is an owner, get a portion of that. If the agent works for a company that books through a consortium (or a franchise) there is another step-down in commission.

I would bet no cruise line would allow a 10% kickback...not to mention that is more than most individual TA's make before taxes...let alone after.

PS. You typically get what you pay for.

9 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I have not heard of a TA giving a rebate before you sail.  Generally they will send it after you are safely on board and their commission is secure.

Not the case with the last two TAs I've used since starting cruising on Regent since 2000. I've received the rebate a few weeks before the cruise

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

It violates the TA contract with Regent to provide excessive OBC as it is a form of kickback. Don't get your TA in trouble.

How could I as a customer get my TA in trouble? I have no clue what their contract with Regent says, its up to the TA to make an offer of rebate. If that gets them "in trouble", that's their problem

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseluv said:

How could I as a customer get my TA in trouble? I have no clue what their contract with Regent says, its up to the TA to make an offer of rebate. If that gets them "in trouble", that's their problem

Sharing the information here makes it easier for Regent to identify who is doing what. People don't realize how easy it is these days to put the pieces of the puzzle together...but if you don't care about "their" problem then why should I?

17 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Not the case with the last two TAs I've used since starting cruising on Regent since 2000. I've received the rebate a few weeks before the cruise

We receive our rebate cheque when the TA sends us our final documents.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wripro said:

I have never thought it fair that some people expect TAs to subsidize part of the cost other cruise. Especially now that they're doing three times the amount of work on some bookings. 

As a 4-month a year cruiser, maybe not as often as Travel Cat, I too am annoyed at the braggarts who don't stop talking about their TA rebates. My TA's company doesn't do that, but I wouldn't change to one that did for that reason. So, yeah, we poor slobs who don't get rebates get that you do; just give it a rest. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mahogany said:

As a 4-month a year cruiser, maybe not as often as Travel Cat, I too am annoyed at the braggarts who don't stop talking about their TA rebates. My TA's company doesn't do that, but I wouldn't change to one that did for that reason. So, yeah, we poor slobs who don't get rebates get that you do; just give it a rest. 

Kindly point out where people are "bragging" about rebates.  This topic came up because someone implied that it was none of our business whether TAs were getting their commissions , and it was pointed out that it is relevant in regard to rebates.  I fail to see how that constitutes bragging.

In addition, some people may find it instructive that rebates do exist, and may want to pursue this avenue.  I am glad that you are pleased with your agency, but some are pleased with the service that they receive as well as the financial incentives that their agencies  give.  I don't see what is wrong with offering that information.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Yes there is a TA contract that limits ADVERTISED rebates to 5% but, has no effect on bigger rebates that are not advertised

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I would bet no cruise line would allow a 10% kickback...not to mention that is more than most individual TA's make before taxes...let alone after.

PS. You typically get what you pay for.

Calling the rebates kickbacks is an affront to the many great TA's out there of which there are several who do rebate 10%.  To clarify the 10%, it is not 10% of the total fare one pays.  Not all of the cruise fare is commissionable so most, if not all who rebate, no matter the amount calculate their percentage rebate on the amount that they receive commission on which varies from cruise to cruise and for Regent and Oceania which provide included air for sure the air plus the port taxes and fees which are buried in the all inclusive fares are deducted before the percentage is calculated.  And, no I am not a TA nor am I currently aware of what any TA:s currently do.

The definition of a kickback..."A payment made to someone who has facilitated a transaction or appointment, especially illicitly."

Giving 10% of the commissionable fare back to a client in exchange for the booking violates the contract the TA signs with Regent. I think the word is accurate.

Having said that, I would caution anyone from getting too specific here if they want to protect their travel agents. With access to the Regent booking database and skimming some data contained in posts (Ex. I cancelled 2 cruises last week) and combining that with the location in a poster's profile, it isn't to hard to determine who is who and who their agents are. If you have a good thing going, you might not want to post about it.

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The definition of a kickback..."A payment made to someone who has facilitated a transaction or appointment, especially illicitly."

Giving 10% of the commissionable fare back to a client in exchange for the booking violates the contract the TA signs with Regent. I think the word is accurate.

Having said that, I would caution anyone from getting too specific here if they want to protect their travel agents. With access to the Regent booking database and skimming some data contained in posts (Ex. I cancelled 2 cruises last week) and combining that with the location in a poster's profile, it isn't to hard to determine who is who and who their agents are. If you have a good thing going, you might not want to post about it.

Sorry Pcardad but, you are incorrect absolutely nothing illicit going on.  When this was discussed on this very board when the contract came out between Regent and their TA's more than 5 years ago several people were concerned over this limitation and talked to more than one TA who at that time exceeded the 5% limitation including several who were on the TA Board of Regent and it was reported on this board that they had been involved in the wording and that the limitation did not affect them due to the words specifying that the limitation applied to the advertising of the rebates.  Regent is well aware of the rebates so no worries about TA's getting into any trouble.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Nothing "illicit" being done by my TA, which is a big agency and top producer for Regent, nor I'm pretty sure by most if not all the TAs being used by posters here. In any event, not sure what repercussion there could be to them from what we're commenting here since we never mention TAs names ( prohibited by CC)

Editing to direct you to post above this from rallydave with a very good explanation

Edited by cruiseluv

43 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Yes there is a TA contract that limits ADVERTISED rebates to 5% but, has no effect on bigger rebates that are not advertised

Calling the rebates kickbacks is an affront to the many great TA's out there of which there are several who do rebate 10%.  To clarify the 10%, it is not 10% of the total fare one pays.  Not all of the cruise fare is commissionable so most, if not all who rebate, no matter the amount calculate their percentage rebate on the amount that they receive commission on which varies from cruise to cruise and for Regent and Oceania which provide included air for sure the air plus the port taxes and fees which are buried in the all inclusive fares are deducted before the percentage is calculated.  And, no I am not a TA nor am I currently aware of what any TA:s currently do.

Best reply I have seen and the most accurate. Plus your post on what Regent's policy is with respect to advertising. Can't advertise but certainly can give more than 5%. 10% of the "commissionable fare" is allowed . Thanks.

• Like 1

I apologize if I am wrong. It would not be the first time. I thought this was the case after speaking to a regional sales rep for Regent and I didn't want anyone feeling the repercussions.  I will call and clarify tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Mahogany said:

No "bragging" going on here. Many times people ask about benefits offered by different TAs, and we answer as best we can within the guidelines of this board. If you decide to chose a non rational path as a consumer ( from an economic point of view), that's your business, but you can't expect those of us that chose another path to shut up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boblerm said:

I immediately used that FCC to book another cruise in 2021, so I really don't understand why I should be expected to return my rebate.  I have written to the company asking for additional rationale.

I would actually have no issue with returning the money if the agency was being screwed out of their commission, but from what I understand, that is not the case. 

We may be using the same agency as we received a similar request yesterday.  I asked for their reasoning given that their commission was protected on the canceled cruise but I haven't heard back.  Have you had a response from them?

43 minutes ago, Mucka said:

We may be using the same agency as we received a similar request yesterday.  I asked for their reasoning given that their commission was protected on the canceled cruise but I haven't heard back.  Have you had a response from them?

Not as of yet, my message to the agency went out this morning. I imagine that TAs are pretty much swamped with inquiries these days, so not surprising that they didn't respond right away.

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I apologize if I am wrong. It would not be the first time. I thought this was the case after speaking to a regional sales rep for Regent and I didn't want anyone feeling the repercussions.  I will call and clarify tomorrow. 

Good to hear that you will clarify.  Plus,  when someone  posts the percentage they receive from their TA and include their email address, is that not a form of advertising?   In my opinion, this is a serious subject ..not really different than stating who your TA is!   I make a point of not mentioning our TA or rebate amount out of respect for CC.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, swansong said:

I am looking for some advice from those in the know.

I have four cruises booked over the next 12 months, one in June which I know will be cancelled, and one in September which I guess will be cancelled or which I may choose to cancel as I wouldn’t consider it safe seeing how things are going. Hopefully the others will be in better times.

I am considering my options, whether to take a refund or the FCC depending on whether Regent cancel the June cruise. The 125% FCC is a better option as I can’t get that sort of interest anywhere. I am minded to cancel the September cruise and take the 100% FCC.

I read somewhere that TAs will still keep their commission for cancelled or rebooked cruises. Does this mean that if I take FCC they will not receive commission on the replacement cruise? 

The reason I ask is that I wish to change TA as I am dissatisfied with my current. Obviously no TA is going to take a booking with no commission ( unless, of course they are thinking of future business) which means I have to stick with my current.

Any advice would be helpful in making my decisions.

We booked an Oceania cruise using a FCC. The TA deducted this amount from the cost of the cruise and then worked out our discount on the remaining amount. I guess what I'm saying is that the TA will still get the commission but you will have to pay the full cost of the cruise.( ie the price advertised on Regent's web site)

For our friends across the pond our TAs are allowed to advertise a discounted cruise price. The discount comes out of their commission. I don't recall ever hearing of a TA here sending cheques after the cruise or indeed offering refundable OBC or to pay gratuities. The amount the TA gives us out of their commission is always up front.