COVID19 symptoms January/early Feb when returning from cruise?

pe4all

Took this topic from NCL boards, as I thought it would be interesting to see what people on CCL have experienced.  I was on CCL Magic 1/26-2/2, with a pre-cruise stay 2 days before in FLL.  Two days after arriving home from the cruise I began experiencing a high fever (101-103), cough, chills, headache (lasted 3 days), tired, slight chest tightness. I had never felt like this before - EVER.   I went to the Dr., who - upon finding out I had just gotten off a cruise, tested me for flu, strep, and gave me a chest xray - all coming back negative. (never  had a chest xray before either, but she wanted to check for pneumonia.) Gave me a z-pack, told me to take tylenol for fever and sent me on my way, feeling it was viral - possibly bronchitis.  Bad cough lasted another 2+ weeks.  Now wondering if it could have been a mild case of covid19, which I have not been tested for.  Will wait for anti-body test to come out.  My dd (who cruised with me) did not get it, and I did not pass it onto dh, who was home working while we cruised.  The NCL board has a thread with 3 pages of people who also came off their cruises with "something" - many called it cruise crud, but they are now also wondering.   I have never gotten sick after any of my cruises, even though there have been people coughing up lungs on some of them.  Towards the end of the cruise an announcement was made for some passengers to report to guest services - all with oriental surnames.  Now I am wondering if they were checking up to see where they had been before they boarded.  Hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy - we are getting blasted here in NY as of this moment.  Hang in there!!

• Like 1

we, my wife & I had same symptoms in January.  Threw us for a loop, finally went to an E R , was prescribed zpak. Two weeks later symptoms started to reside. At one point it felt like I had cracked ribs from coughing so much.  Hang in there N Y ♥️ & 🙏

I got off the Magic on 1/26.  We had a long wait in FLL airport for our early evening JetBlue flight.  the day after we got home I began to cough.  It did progress to a cold and near bronchitis which I fought off with an inhaler.  I had slight fever for one day.  My sister traveling with me did not get it.  Makes me wonder.  EM

I sailed in mid-January in the Caribbean and caught something that was definitely not the flu. It was far more severe than any flu Id ever had. At the time nobody was talking about COVID19 and I had no explanation, but lately I’ve been wondering if I’ve already had it. I had the “hot chills”, fever, coughing, weakness, getting winded very quickly, and muscle aches so bad I was taking showers one an hour because it was the only thing that provided any relief. I also was in NY and NJ for 2 weeks last month and haven’t gotten sick since January. Wish I knew if  I’d already had it or not. Sounds like there are others who share my experience - maybe there was more of it floating around in January than has been reported.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, c-boy said:

well I'm alive my friend. 

If it was actually bacterial, the Zpack should have worked before 2 weeks was up. So it was probably viral and untouched by the antibotic.

However, some respiratory viruses weaken resistance to bacterial pneumonia and other upper respiratory bacterial diseases.  So giving you a Zpack may well have prevented a secondary infection. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 2:48 PM, wheezedr said:

You guys are taking way to many antibiotics for viral illnesses.  That is one of the  drivers of bacterial resistance.  It is also simply bad medicine.

When I heard last week COVID19 cases were being treated with zpacs I was surprised since I also am aware that antibiotics don't treat viruses.  Mayleeman's explanation below makes a lot of sense though, and I have seen other cases of doctors prescribing antibiotics preventively. 

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

If it was actually bacterial, the Zpack should have worked before 2 weeks was up. So it was probably viral and untouched by the antibotic.

However, some respiratory viruses weaken resistance to bacterial pneumonia and other upper respiratory bacterial diseases.  So giving you a Zpack may well have prevented a secondary infection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Always a great idea to ask a medical question of non-professional medical people on a cruise forum.  You're sure to get the correct diagnosis.🙄

🤣  Papermoon Loves Lucy — DIRTY GERTIE

12 minutes ago, Philob said:

News article says study from Stanford Medicine this was possibly already around in the Fall.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Study-investigates-if-COVID-19-came-to-Calif-in-15187085.php

I concur,  I visited friends and family in the bay area over the holidays and at that time some where ill.  Unfortunately  we had no idea at the time what it was and I lost a good friend to the virus. 

On 4/4/2020 at 6:59 AM, pe4all said:

Took this topic from NCL boards, as I thought it would be interesting to see what people on CCL have experienced.  I was on CCL Magic 1/26-2/2, with a pre-cruise stay 2 days before in FLL.  Two days after arriving home from the cruise I began experiencing a high fever (101-103), cough, chills, headache (lasted 3 days), tired, slight chest tightness. I had never felt like this before - EVER.   I went to the Dr., who - upon finding out I had just gotten off a cruise, tested me for flu, strep, and gave me a chest xray - all coming back negative. (never  had a chest xray before either, but she wanted to check for pneumonia.) Gave me a z-pack, told me to take tylenol for fever and sent me on my way, feeling it was viral - possibly bronchitis.  Bad cough lasted another 2+ weeks.  Now wondering if it could have been a mild case of covid19, which I have not been tested for.  Will wait for anti-body test to come out.  My dd (who cruised with me) did not get it, and I did not pass it onto dh, who was home working while we cruised.  The NCL board has a thread with 3 pages of people who also came off their cruises with "something" - many called it cruise crud, but they are now also wondering.   I have never gotten sick after any of my cruises, even though there have been people coughing up lungs on some of them.  Towards the end of the cruise an announcement was made for some passengers to report to guest services - all with oriental surnames.  Now I am wondering if they were checking up to see where they had been before they boarded.  Hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy - we are getting blasted here in NY as of this moment.  Hang in there!!

Glad to hear you recovered, too bad you didn't get a COVID19 test, but you should soon be able to get an antibody test, that should be insightful.    

But given the latest understanding and widespread number of cases across the world, wouldn't surprise me one bit you are part of the 80%, good for you!

Reports  are out that China  had the virus back in November  but did not alert  anyone

Friends in Slovenia  had a very bad flu back in early Dec  after they had hosted a student from Wuhan

Draw your own conclusions

Personally I think  the virus was out there  & spreading  from travellers from China  long before  it was announced to the World

JMO

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Personally I think  the virus was out there  & spreading  from travellers from China  long before  it was announced to the World

JMO

Totally agree with you.  

• Like 1