Carnival Stock

R Prim

You pretty much have to have a brokerage acct, personally, I use Fidelity. It's possible to do it using a transfer agent, but then, you'll need a statement as proof of ownership anyway and agents charge fees round trip (in/out). If you actually hold the stock certs, then you can't trade then online until you mail them in. Most people hold the issue in street name, meaning the broker holds the certs and uses your stock to loan to short sellers.

You may be in the stock market and not realize it...do you have a 401K ? If you have a 401K then you are “in the stock market.” I have a discount brokerage account with TD Ameritrade. I do own shares of Carnival. Their ticker symbol is CCL. I would urge caution in buying Carnival stock just because it’s cheap, down 83% year to date. It may go lower, even to zero. We don’t know. We don’t even know how and when the cruise industry will be able to begin to rebuild itself. I do know that the US stock market (currently down about 25%) will make a comeback. Unless you have money to burn or a gamblers mindset I think a better, safer investment may be buying shares in a S+P 500 Index Fund from somebody like Vanguard. Full disclosure, I have a Vanguard account as well. A Carnival investment could have a significantly higher payoff but it also entails you taking a lot of risk. Good Luck.

• Like 1

Walk into any investment firm like Schwab or an edward jones, ect. They'll be more than happy to open an account. AND if they won't do what you want, go online and sign up for an etrade, ameritrade, or scott trade. I have bought carnival stock this past week. I can't pass up a 50.00 stock selling for 8.00 a share. Yea, I'm a gambler, I'll take the gamble that people will forget, everyone will go back to cruising and the cruise stock will go back up, it always does.

• Like 3

I did when it dropped to $7 before. I used TD Ameritrade. Never looked into stocks but always wanted to and it was a good feasible time for me. 

I don't know about the other sites but this is how it worked for me. I opened the account at about 1am in the morning as I work overnights. Funded my account straight from my checking account. By 3am I had those funds available to use in my TD account, even though it took 4 days to actually process. By 9:45am I was a stock owner. 

Also on a note, it does not have to be CCL stock you buy for the OBC (at this moment.. they might do away with it all next year who knows). You can also buy CUK, which is Carnival Plc ADS (foreign shares on the US Market) and CUKPF which are OTC stock (which I wouldn't buy..)

But any of those would get you OBC if that is what you are buying it for. I personally bought CUK because on average the cost is about $0.50-$1 less in trading for price. I wasn't doing this for retirement or anything, I was doing it because I wanted OBC 🙂 So saving that initial cost for me was the choice. 

Check with your bank. We have Chase and opened a free investmest account online. It was easy to move money and use the account, we purchased 100 shares of Carnival and then some other stocks and there was no commission.

It's also nice because it uses the same online banking info as your regular accounts to access, so not another username and password to remember. 

I don't know for sure but I would guess all the major banks may have something similiar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langoustine said:

Just be prepared for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy in which case you will probably lose your entire investment. If you can afford that, buy away, as you may make a lot of money if they don't file.

Right, it is a gamble. If Carnival does not sail by June they will have to file Chapter 11.  Carnival is a wealthy company but their wealth is in their ships. If they cannot sail with paying passengers, how much are these ships worth? 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

First you need a brokerage account (like everyone else says) and as a cruiser, I would recommend Schwab. The only reason why, is you can open up a brokerage account and on top of that, an investment checkings account and the debit card that is tied to your investment checkings account (not regular checkings, this is important!) allows you to make withdrawals worldwide and they refund your atm fees. That means you can even withdraw money from the onboard ATM machine and get that atm fee back into your account. 

Secondly, as a fellow investor myself, take a look at the Carnival Cruise line charts since 1987. There are three times that the stock really went down. First was during the dot com bust in 2000, second was around 2007 during the mortgage financial crisis, which was a worldwide crisis mind you, and then this massive drop today which is the covid 19 crisis. If you look closely, there's one trend in their stock and that is that their stock has always recovered from their drop, BUT.. the trend is that it takes a few years to recover. Another trend is that there's an incline.. a slope upwards, not downwards.. so given enough time, the price not only recovers, but it goes up. Given these trends, confidence is not low. I wouldn't say it's really really high, but it's definitely not low. Its enough for me to want to buy now but I would recommend buy in small chunks and spread it out over the years. No one knows what will happen tomorrow, they could file for bankruptcy but that's tough to swallow considering that in 2010, they had 50% of the cruising market (that was around that time when there was the global financial crisis). 

If by June they don't start sailing, I still would have confidence in them recovering, but it will take a lot longer and it would mean that they would have to really do some major hand holding and kissing ears to convince investors to start investing in their company to bring them back. Just the longer they're in drydock and not sailing, then it would take much longer to get back and recover. My two cents. 

Edited by islacruzer
  • Like 1

Suggestion, once you get a brokerage acct set up, enter a "limit order" for CCL. IMO, we're a long way from over this pandemic and CCL gonna suffer more than most industries. If you simply enter a market order to buy, it'll execute at the price that moment. But a limit order only executes if/when the issue hits the limit price. Sooo, you could put in a limit order for 100 shares CCL @ say $5 a share. I don't buy anything with market orders. Warning, dividends and OBC are NOT guaranteed and can be canx at any time, so don't buy for that reason alone. It's truly not a good idea to buy individual stocks in a small portfolio with no experience. ETFs and mutual funds much better idea because they provide diversification for small investors. JMHO

11 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I bought at $32.00 so I hope that it comes back. But I may buy some more in the next few days. 

I also bought at 32 and was happy.

Then put in a buy for 25 and got it and was very happy.

Still trying to be happy🥴

20 hours ago, R Prim said:

We are not currently in the stock market but would really like to take advantage of Carnival's low stock price. Anyone purchase Carnival Stock on your own? If so, how?

I purchased 100 shares on Friday for $8.29. I used Robinhood. Seems to be holding steady around that price right now.  I mainly did it to take advantage of the OBC offer they have.  I have 2 5-day cruises booked, so thats an extra 50 OBC per room.  Even if the stocks drop some, the OBC at least makes up for the loss.  Try to look at it that way lol.  Im leaving it in.  Either its going to go up, or down.  Looking at the long term that Carnival will stand back up and wipe the dirt off themself and move on.  As far as bankruptcy, yes there is a chance they can declare that, but they just borrowed 4 billion dollars.  So if they do declare bankruptcy, it won't be for a while down the line.  That is the last thing they want to do. I really think it all depends on how long this coronavirus crap lingers on for.  I am hoping its over by June and July so I can go on my upcoming cruises!  I think people will be ready to get out of the house and cruise and go on vacations once this is all over with.  I am already going stir crazy!

Edited by tennboy1981

I too bought shares during this from each of the 3 major cruise lines.

2k from CCL. 700 from RC and 500 from NCLH..

I have faith that all will eventually return to normal and people will start cruising again in the numbers they were at before all of this, maybe not by the end of the year..but within a year or two..

You have to keep in mind..everyone in the world does not cruise..its really a small overall percentage that does..but those that do, will continue, and will continue to introduce new people to cruising...

17 hours ago, islacruzer said:

First you need a brokerage account (like everyone else says) and as a cruiser, I would recommend Schwab. The only reason why, is you can open up a brokerage account and on top of that, an investment checkings account and the debit card that is tied to your investment checkings account (not regular checkings, this is important!) allows you to make withdrawals worldwide and they refund your atm fees. That means you can even withdraw money from the onboard ATM machine and get that atm fee back into your account. 

All the brokerage house do this, not just Schwab

3 hours ago, coevan said:

All the brokerage house do this, not just Schwab

Not to sway away from the point of this thread, but if you're referring to my point about the ATM fee, which one do you bank with that offers unlimited atm fee refunds worldwide? I used to be with Ameritrade until 2012 and they didn't have this feature at the time. 

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-checking-accounts-without-international-atm-fees

Edited by islacruzer

A lot of upward movement on Carnival stock prices this morning. News today of a recent huge bet on Carnival stock. An informative article on Barrons' website today:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/carnival-stock-rallies-after-saudi-stake-disclosure-and-a-zero-sail-liquidity-assessment-51586186393

I am considering buying more shares, but as an avid cruiser, I am emotionally invested. So since I am not a financial advisor, I am running the idea by mine. At the end of the day, its gambling.