Can I join a cruise part way through? (Hamburg to Ft Lauderdale)

Deimos

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question!

I notice there's a transatlantic cruise going from Hamburg to Fort Lauderdale in January and the first stop in the voyage is Southampton.

Do I have to start the cruise in Hamburg, or can I join at Southampton?

I assume I have to start from beginning, but was hoping I could join in Southampton, as I am am a bit nervous about flying to Germany (I don't speak German) and finding the right port etc.

The Southampton to Fort Lauderdale segment can be booked as a separate voyage from the longer Hamburg to Fort Lauderdale voyage.

Voyage number V103A is the longer 13 night voyage from Hamburg to Fort Lauderdale departing January 8, 2021.

Voyage number V104 is the shorter 11 night voyage from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale departing January 10, 2021.

Make sure you book voyage number V104 if you want to start in Southampton.

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks for that, it's strange, one of the reasons I didn't check that cruise is because the Single oceanview is sold out, but it isn't on the V013A cruise.

The single oceanview from Hamburg is around £1339, whereas the cheapest from Southampton is the £1661 obstructed view room

Shame.

I'd be very surprised if SOU-FLL is not already a published itinerary. However, these crossings are often sold-out and won't appear in searches unless you include sold-out voyages.

To answer your question, yes you usually can join a cruise midway in most cases. There are exceptions including situations which would conflict with the US PVSA act which prohibits foreign flagged ships from transporting passengers between US ports without a stop in a foreign port (which does not apply here) or ports which may not be able to support boarding. (Again, not a factor for SOU). In 2008, we bid a farewell to the QE2, joining a Western Med cruise in Civitavecchia/Rome. We did, however need to pay for the entire voyage from Southampton.

11 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Thanks for that, it's strange, one of the reasons I didn't check that cruise is because the Single oceanview is sold out, but it isn't on the V013A cruise.

The single oceanview from Hamburg is around £1339, whereas the cheapest from Southampton is the £1661 obstructed view room

Shame.

Unfortunately the single oceanview cabins do tend to sell very quickly. There is one currently available on the longer voyage V103A from Hamburg, but none currently available on the shorter voyage V104 from Southampton.

Hi,

If you phone Cunard to make a booking they can get the single cabin available from Hamburg moved to the cruise departing from Southampton. (this is a regular occurrence with single cabins but you'll probably still need to explain it all!) There's only one cabin available so do it soon. The Saver fare is £1000 cheaper than the Cunard fare. 

Have a great trip.

15 hours ago, Deimos said:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question!

I notice there's a transatlantic cruise going from Hamburg to Fort Lauderdale in January and the first stop in the voyage is Southampton.

Do I have to start the cruise in Hamburg, or can I join at Southampton?

I assume I have to start from beginning, but was hoping I could join in Southampton, as I am am a bit nervous about flying to Germany (I don't speak German) and finding the right port etc.

Hi We are booked on the full world cruise that starts for us from Southampton. Prior to and after the World Cruise the queen Victoria visits Hamburg thus enabling the World Cruise to be available to those that wish to board in Hamburg. First port from Hamburg is Southampton. You are therefore able to get on at Southampton for the next leg of the journey. I cant advise on the rest of yoor question but you will be able to confirm by speaking to Cunard. Hopefully this cruise will be operating

On 4/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Deimos said:

Shame.

Book Hamburg. The flight from Heathrow to Hamburg is not expensive and you will get the single you want. In 2019, I wanted a Q4 from Southampton, but found it only if I booked from Hamburg, which I did. I later booked the Southampton to Hamburg two day on a Q4 and so I had 12 days on QM2 and it was a glorious time. 

Edited by Bigmike911

The reason around the World cruise time they only release so many cabins of a particular type . As approx 30-35% of passengers do the full world cruise some only want to do segments . To ensure they allow as many to book all or a part of the world cruise they release a number of cabins to each - they dont want the ship to cruise partly empty neither do they want to miss out on a full world cruise fare(s). That is why fares can be bit strange around this period. Clever marketing means that before the world cruise and world voyages in January there is always QM2 sailing to southampton from New York arriving the day the long cruises depart and the opposite when the 2 ships doing the world voyages get back generally in April. The other ship doing the World trip does exactly the same but goes to Hamburg before world cruise and back to southampton. This way Cunard can sell a full world cruise to the American, British and german Market every year. A long answer ...sorry .. but good marketing.