I really miss.............

shipgeeks

My MSC cruises, past and future.  January on Seaside was great: warm and gracious officers and crew; beautiful ship inside and out; Ocean Cay; sticky buns, pizza, merengues, curries; meeting and talking with people from Italy, Germany, South Africa, Mauritius, Brasil.

Our weeks on Armonia, intended to be this month, are not to be.

And now I'm missing all the posts that used to appear here:  "Are there any foods that Americans can eat?"; "Do the men wear Speedos?"; "Does anyone dress up?";  "Is there a Margaritaville on Ocean Cay?" (okay, I made that one up).

I miss even the ones I disagreed with ("the crew are so unfriendly"), and the ones I don't care about (beverage packages, ports).

Can we resurrect some of those posts, even if we don't have an MSC cruise in the immediate future?  What did you most enjoy discussing a few short months ago?

• Like 1

Lots of pleasant experiences on Meraviglia during my January cruise.  But, I still don't understand why in the world none of the bars--YC or not--did not stock a green Creme de Menthe?  I like it on the rocks as an after dinner drink and particularly just before retiring for the evening.  

My embarkation at the Port of Miami on Meraviglia, even as a YC guest, was as chaotic as I have ever had.  Having driven to the Port, traffic within the Port was terrible.  Signage poor, getting to luggage drop off for YC proved to be impossible, once dropping my luggage off further West of the terminal than I ought to have needed, then, getting into the far lane that would lead to the parking garage was another hassle.

I learned from my "mistake".  I will never again drive to the Port of Miami to take a cruise.

I would much prefer that MSC sail from Port Everglades or Port Canaveral.  Those ports can much better handle the traffic than the Port of Miami.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My embarkation at the Port of Miami on Meraviglia, even as a YC guest, was as chaotic as I have ever had.  Having driven to the Port, traffic within the Port was terrible.  Signage poor, getting to luggage drop off for YC proved to be impossible, once dropping my luggage off further West of the terminal than I ought to have needed, then, getting into the far lane that would lead to the parking garage was another hassle.

I learned from my "mistake".  I will never again drive to the Port of Miami to take a cruise.

I would much prefer that MSC sail from Port Everglades or Port Canaveral.  Those ports can much better handle the traffic than the Port of Miami.

I agree about the Miami traffic!  We fly into FL, stay there overnight, and take a shuttle to POM.  Last time, our shuttle driver called us on cruise day, asked if we could be ready 20 minutes earlier than booked (Yes!), as there was a traffic problem.  It was so nice to let him find an alternate route, deal with all the bypasses, and get us right to the luggage drop while we relaxed.  Easy checkin from there, and a good start to a wonderful cruise.  At the end of the cruise, we just called him as we headed to Customs, and he was there a few minutes later.

But even with that all figured out, we, too, prefer to sail from FL.

However, whatever it takes to be on MSC, we will do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was  excited to hear that the Armonia would be cruising from Tampa next year. Tampa is an hour drive from our house.

It is a disappointment to find out that only short cruises will be offered from the port. The only seven day or longer cruises are right around the December holidays when we normally don't cruise. 

I am not sure if MSC is offering the mini cruises to compete with the Carnival booze cruises that sail from Tampa.

If so, hasn't MSC learned yet that booze cruise clientele do not fit into the market demographic which MSC is trying to serve?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

If so, hasn't MSC learned yet that booze cruise clientele do not fit into the market demographic which MSC is trying to serve?

They have been looking for any bodies to fill their ships and those itineraries show where they are looking.

1 hour ago, Match Game 72 said:

I really miss the feeling when we are checked in, through security, and walking on the bridge to the ship. It's a happy moment to be that close to the ship and then get to enter an atrium for the first time.

Yes. The best part of a cruise. One of the best anyway among many others. I miss seeing the endless blue of the ocean, feeling the breeze, the scents, the atmosphere...visiting the islands, the excitement what the next island would bring. I miss a careless week with no cooking, cleaning and real quality time with my family. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I was  excited to hear that the Armonia would be cruising from Tampa next year.

Yes, I was pleased to learn this as well.  The ship has an interesting history (if one likes such) as one of the Festival Cruises ships.  She sailed as MS European Vision, if I recall correctly.  I have never sailed from Tampa and this might be a good opportunity to try that Port. 

• Like 1

The thing I miss most is the general excitement within the cruise industry.  Always excited about the next ship (I was lucky enough to see the Scarlet Lady come in right before debarking the Seaside, and even the crew was excited over seeing her).  Always excited for everyone else flying down and boarding.  Excited for someone getting a trip booked and final payment made.  Excited in vlogs getting posted to YouTube.

Since the middle of January, that excitement has just been gone.  Everyone has been worried, and now the entire industry is in shutdown.  Vloggers who used to have so much excitement and joy in their streams are now filled with frustration, angst, and sadness.

This virus will be behind us before we know it.  There is a rough stretch that we have to go through between now and then, and when we come out of it, things will be different.  But, we will get past it, and that excitement will return.  I just wish I knew for sure when everything will be opening back up for good.  Because I cannot wait to get my next trip booked and I cannot wait to bring my daughter on her first.

And just in general, I can't wait for the vlogs to start back up and being able to see the joy of the industry kick in again.  Can't wait to hear about the Project Leonardo ships for NCL that are based on the same design as the Seaside.  Can't wait to see what the Carnival Mardi Gras is going to have for passengers to enjoy.  Can't wait to find out more information on the Icon Class from Royal.  Can't wait to hear more about the World Class from MSC and more info about the Yacht Club only ships that are in development.  And I can't wait to check the marine tracker and not see every ship globally parked in the same place for effectively weeks on end.

• Like 6

RKA, Thank you for your information.  We do love learning the history of the ships we sail, and that is an interesting one.  I believe I heard that she was stretched at some point, although I don't see a reference to that.

Beardface, You express very well exactly what we are missing, apart from the cruises themselves.  I can't wait to read more!

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

RKA, Thank you for your information.  We do love learning the history of the ships we sail, and that is an interesting one.  I believe I heard that she was stretched at some point, although I don't see a reference to that.

I thought European Vision had been stretched sometime after MSC acquired her as well. 

Looking at the statistics on the ship, as European Vision, she was 58,625 GT; as Armonia 65,542 GT.  As EV, she was 824 feet; as Armonia 902 feet.  Armonia's beam increased by 11 feet after renovation.  Certainly does seem from the statistics that she was stretched.  Yet, the passenger capacity is listed as the same as EV.  That does not quite make sense.  Also, why would stretching a ship increase its beam?    

Edited by rkacruiser

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought European Vision had been stretched sometime after MSC acquired her as well. 

Looking at the statistics on the ship, as European Vision, she was 58,625 GT; as Armonia 65,542 GT.  As EV, she was 824 feet; as Armonia 902 feet.  Armonia's beam increased by 11 feet after renovation.  Certainly does seem from the statistics that she was stretched.  Yet, the passenger capacity is listed as the same as EV.  That does not quite make sense.  Also, why would stretching a ship increase its beam?    

I solved the tonnage question.

As the European Vision, she was listed as just gross tonnage at 58,600. As the Armonia, she has added in the DWT of 6,960 to the 58,600 GT.

We've just returned from our last cruise and haven't another booked due to other commitments, although that's all on hold, so I'd be missing looking forward to another anyway.

In the time preceding a cruise I love looking at the ship plans, watching videos of the ship, researching the destinations and envisageing us on the ship. 

In the meantime I'm just deeply inhaling my room diffuser in the kitchen and dreaming 😎

• Like 2

I just found an article about the new European Vision, in the February, 2001, edition of Cruise Travel.  The article, "On The Horizon, 2001 New Ship Preview", features an aerial view of what I think is an artist's rendering rather than a photo.  She is very sleek, and is noted to be First European's largest ship yet.  According to the related article, she will include several trendy onboard amenities, such as an internet café and a rock climbing wall.

I can see the window of what was to be "our" cabin on Armonia this month.

5 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We've just returned from our last cruise and haven't another booked due to other commitments, although that's all on hold, so I'd be missing looking forward to another anyway.

In the time preceding a cruise I love looking at the ship plans, watching videos of the ship, researching the destinations and envisageing us on the ship. 

In the meantime I'm just deeply inhaling my room diffuser in the kitchen and dreaming 😎

Is your diffuser filled with the "Med" fragrance from MSC?  I noticed they had those in one of the onboard shops, along with bottles of eau de cologne; the same fragrance as the shampoo and shower gel in the cabins.  Now I wish I had bought some.

• Like 1

It certainly is. Ours are complimentary ones received as Aurea guests but they are available in the shop. Sometimes these thing don't last very well but I've found these last for months. Absolutely enhances your excitement before a cruise but heightens the sadness post cruise 😂

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:38 PM, shipgeeks said:

My MSC cruises, past and future.  January on Seaside was great: warm and gracious officers and crew; beautiful ship inside and out; Ocean Cay; sticky buns, pizza, merengues, curries; meeting and talking with people from Italy, Germany, South Africa, Mauritius, Brasil.

Our weeks on Armonia, intended to be this month, are not to be.

And now I'm missing all the posts that used to appear here:  "Are there any foods that Americans can eat?"; "Do the men wear Speedos?"; "Does anyone dress up?";  "Is there a Margaritaville on Ocean Cay?" (okay, I made that one up).

I miss even the ones I disagreed with ("the crew are so unfriendly"), and the ones I don't care about (beverage packages, ports).

Can we resurrect some of those posts, even if we don't have an MSC cruise in the immediate future?  What did you most enjoy discussing a few short months ago?

You are so right.  I miss it too.  We love Seaside and have already missed two sailings.

• Like 1

We watch the Port of Miami webcam daily; it's interesting (but sad) to see "our" Seaside and Armonia come and go.  It has led me to wondering who, among the officers and crew we met in January, are still aboard.

Certainly the Captain and senior officers are required to keep the ship in operation.

Food preparation, housekeeping, engineering, laundry, etc. are still needed to a certain extent.

My first thought about Guest Services and the Hosts/Ambassadors for the various languages was that since they deal with passengers, they are probably gone now.  But then I realized that their job descriptions are to solve problems, so perhaps they have steady employment.

Finally, I wonder about the nice young man who gave me an excellent haircut, Neeraj Betchoo, from Mauritius.  Is he helping to keep the crew presentable?

Sigh.....

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

It has led me to wondering who, among the officers and crew we met in January, are still aboard.

I wonder about that as well after returning home from my Meraviglia cruise.  

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I wonder about the nice young man who gave me an excellent haircut, Neeraj Betchoo, from Mauritius.  Is he helping to keep the crew presentable?

Sigh.....

Did not get a hair cut on Meraviglia, but did on my follow cruise aboard the Eurodam.  The barber not only gave me a hair-cut but also a mini-facial.  Friends told me that evening that I was "glowing".  It was great!  Our barber shops are closed and eventually I am going to need a hair-cut.  Or, am I going to have shoulder length hair like some of my male students had a few decades ago?  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 4:53 PM, shipgeeks said:

We watch the Port of Miami webcam daily; it's interesting (but sad) to see "our" Seaside and Armonia come and go.  It has led me to wondering who, among the officers and crew we met in January, are still aboard.

Certainly the Captain and senior officers are required to keep the ship in operation.

Food preparation, housekeeping, engineering, laundry, etc. are still needed to a certain extent.

My first thought about Guest Services and the Hosts/Ambassadors for the various languages was that since they deal with passengers, they are probably gone now.  But then I realized that their job descriptions are to solve problems, so perhaps they have steady employment.

Finally, I wonder about the nice young man who gave me an excellent haircut, Neeraj Betchoo, from Mauritius.  Is he helping to keep the crew presentable?

Sigh.....

I've been watching the port webcam too, initially checking if Zaandam and Coral Princess were docking but keep popping back to see what's happening. It looks so sad and quiet.

I too wondered about the number of crew onboard, presumably there is a minimum number required to function? I'm assuming most of the crew have departed.

Given that it is now clear there will be no cruises for many weeks, if not months, how long will the cruise ships at Miami continue with the current arrangement of being at anchor and then coming into port for supplies?

Edited by CruisingFox27

Was missing not having a cruise to look forward to - had to cancel three - last week booked an end of January 2021 cruise - hopefully though we will cruise before then. Had emailed with an Officer on the Armonia a few weeks ago - was told they were docking at Ocean Cay for the duration - went on to say they had a crew to run the ship in lockdown to maintain machinery and sanitation.