Carnival "long term impact on appeal of our brands"

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You are right, but the cruise ship problems started early and unfortunately made news stories that made it sound like they were "petri dishes" for the coronavirus. And then there were the stranded passengers who also made the kind of stories that could be sensationalized.

That is what main stream media does, sensationalize.  Second that with the stranded passengers were not due to the cruise lines, but the inability or unwillingness of ports to assist.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

The real point is that there is still much we do no know, both in transmission, how to attack the virus or making a vaccine, or in fact whether there will be another wave.  The industry, despite the negative claims to the contrary, will adapt, when and how fast will be determined by both what has happened, but much importantly by what will happen.  

43 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

That's because we don't have Toyota's exploding all around us to compare. Whereas, in the cruise line industry, we have deaths from the Covid19 everywhere. 

Or is it there is just more media coverage?

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is no doubt that Princess will have to fight a Stigma associated with the aftermath and your comments on washy easy strike a note as well.  My guess is at the very least, there will be aspects of cruising that will be significantly changed forever.

And you know more than most just how much I love the Princess brand. Short term though, I just can't foresee them being my preferred cruise operator until the world begins to stabilize.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

From a pure financial aspect, I would wager Carnival is in much better position than the other two, with NCL being in the worst position.  You are correct, we just do not know.  So I am a little confused with your post, do you like Carnival?😁👍

Now you have me confused.  See the second line of my post.  "I really like Carnival".  

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

That is what main stream media does, sensationalize.  Second that with the stranded passengers were not due to the cruise lines, but the inability or unwillingness of ports to assist.

I agree. You did not hear the media blaming politicians who made those decisions. All you heard about were deaths and poor stranded passengers who could not get home.

I could see a new update to SOLAS that would limit ports' ability to refuse passengers to disembark. If Chile doesn't want to let the Zaandam disembark all of its passengers, fine, but they should at least let any Chileans onboard have disembarked. It might not come into play until the next "100 year pandemic", but if we have a smaller event in 5 or 10 years, everyone is going to go nuts because they'll be afraid it's the next "big one". The overreaction to the next event will kill the cruise industry.

Right after 9-11, the thinking was no one would ever want to fly again.  Commercial aviation and the travel industry in general recovered.  I'm hoping for the same for the cruise industry.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, MRVEGAS711 said:

What make the most BUSINESS sense? If I'm Carnival, Waiting till July or September and filing Chapter 11. Keep all the money that cruisers have put on their vacation. Streamline the company and come back leaner. It will piss of 100-200 thousand people, but they will eventually forget. They'll have to, their money is gone. 

The bankruptcy court will distribute this money with most going to the creditors in the bankruptcy before Carnival gets to use it.

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

I could see a new update to SOLAS that would limit ports' ability to refuse passengers to disembark. If Chile doesn't want to let the Zaandam disembark all of its passengers, fine, but they should at least let any Chileans onboard have disembarked. It might not come into play until the next "100 year pandemic", but if we have a smaller event in 5 or 10 years, everyone is going to go nuts because they'll be afraid it's the next "big one". The overreaction to the next event will kill the cruise industry.

Having just sailed from Santiago to Buenos Aires to Antarctica, our cruise had less than 20 passengers from Chile and less than 15 from Argentina. This was in the peak of their summer vacation as well so kids were not in school.

I’m not sure cruising is part of their culture or within some of their budgets as South America itineraries are usually higher in price than the Caribbean which is often very inexpensive.

Edited by xDisconnections

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

And you know more than most just how much I love the Princess brand. Short term though, I just can't foresee them being my preferred cruise operator until the world begins to stabilize.

I do, and it is of no fault of their own.  I hope I am wrong.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roz said:

Right after 9-11, the thinking was no one would ever want to fly again.  Commercial aviation and the travel industry in general recovered.  I'm hoping for the same for the cruise industry.  

The travel industry did a lot to help themselves recover. 

Our very first cruise was booked not that long after 9/11, a Western Mediterranean cruise. When we (and the whole plane seemed to be either going on our cruise or another cruise from the same port) in Barcelona, we were all given a free tour of Barcelona.

Ten years later we booked a very similar Western Mediterranean cruise to celebrate another anniversary. No free tour this time. We and others just had to sit and wait and wait and wait.

I should also mention that we got a very good price on that first post 9/11 cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The travel industry did a lot to help themselves recover. 

Our very first cruise was booked not that long after 9/11, a Western Mediterranean cruise. When we (and the whole plane seemed to be either going on our cruise or another cruise from the same port) in Barcelona, we were all given a free tour of Barcelona.

Ten years later we booked a very similar Western Mediterranean cruise to celebrate another anniversary. No free tour this time. We and others just had to sit and wait and wait and wait.

I should also mention that we got a very good price on that first post 9/11 cruise.

Too late to edit, but let me make a correction. We did do a nearly identical cruise 10 years later, but it was not the one where we waited  and waited in a hangar type building. That one was 5 years later, and also for an anniversary. We did wait long on the one 10 years later, but that was outdoors.