I am sure many others are in our shoes

Peachypooh

We would like to use the money we have tied up in a May cruise to help family members

in the NYC area weather the storm. Does NCL publish their financials so I can get an idea

if they will be in a position to honor the refunds?

Edited by Peachypooh

3 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We would like to use the money we have tied up in a May cruise to help family members

in the NYC area weather the storm. Does NCL publish their financials so I can get an idea

They are not and will not.  NCL is a sinking ship.  They have zero income for many months to come.  Best hope is a Chapter 11.

We have three mini-suites booked on the Escape over the New Year's holiday - fare is crazy high compared to what I normally pay for a seven night trip, but it is a special family treat.  Booked last year when deposits were only $50pp...I'm happy I resisted the urge to start making payments on it to ease the pain of a big final-payment-date balance due in August of this year.

We haven't cancelled yet, but are still on the fence.  I'm glad that I only have $300 tied up in it instead of thousands.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Keep the faith.  This is such a nice gesture!  BTW, were you able to locate any financials on line?

41 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Keep the faith.  This is such a nice gesture!  BTW, were you able to locate any financials on line?

Thank you. My family has helped me out when I was in dire circumstances and was hoping

to return the favor. Yes I found the financials and really couldn't tell anything since I am not

a financial person except to say that by reading  the stock price and analyst write ups it doesn't  look so good. 

Edited by Peachypooh

After looking at recent NCL financial statements it appears that they are in the worst position regarding continuing to stay in business during the Coronavirus Pandemic. They have the lowest amount of cash on hand and unfortunately are highly leveraged regarding the amount of ships that they are paying off. All three major cruise lines will have tough times ahead. The United States determination not to include them in the one trillion dollars stimulus package certainly doesn’t help their situation either. I pray for this to end sooner than later so that I can return to the cruises that my family and I love. Stay safe everyone, practice social distancing, and together we will get through this this tough time.

Just curious - why is nobody thinking that places that rely on tourism might not be a valid source of bailout if needed?  NCL is flagged in the Bahamas and since they rely heavily on tourism, wouldn't it be in their best interest to do what they could.

19 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

If you look at the budget figures for the Bahamas you'll see that they don't have a lot of discretionary funds. I doubt that they could make much of a dent in the financial problems of the cruise lines.

There are quite a number of uber-rich who live in the bahamas - or at least own land and private islands - and might have a vested interest in preserving the economy.

22 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Yikes.  This will make it very difficult for cruise lines to make their own decisions about restarting cruises.