You are entitled to a refund for your canceled flight — even if the airline says you aren’t

clo

I'm going to be dealing with this tomorrow. Our cruise was canceled and we have an FCC for it. And our flights on Norwegian Air have been canceled (cause they're on the verge of going under). So here's the info. I'll be dealing with this tomorrow. I hope this help someone else.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refund-for-canceled-flight/

And if airlines have to do this, why don't cruise lines? Is it their lack of US "status"? Hmm.

Edited by clo

I think it depends upon the airline.  About three weeks ago we cancelled our March 14 trip to Florida - at that time Delta said we could apply the fare we had paid to another flight -to fly within one year of the time we booked the original flight.  We were not happy, as we had booked that flight back in July 2019 - giving us just until this July to go somewhere.

Since we, rather than Delta, had cancelled we figured we were just out of luck.  Then just a couple of days ago Delta advised us we had until July 2022 to fly.  Not sure why they eased up, but are certainly happy to have a reasonable time to use that credit.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

we cancelled

Well, that's the difference. You canceled vs. their cancelling. But/and hopefully they will do more of things like that.

Two weeks ago, I canceled a flight on Delta to Las Vegas set for Mother’s Day weekend.  I was issued an ecredit for the full amount of the flight.  Originally, the credit was good until January 7, 2021 (one year from purchase date).  A couple of days ago, I received an email from Delta advising that my ecredit is good until May 31, 2022.  

31 minutes ago, antmaril said:

Two weeks ago, I canceled a flight on Delta to Las Vegas set for Mother’s Day weekend.  I was issued an ecredit for the full amount of the flight.  Originally, the credit was good until January 7, 2021 (one year from purchase date).  A couple of days ago, I received an email from Delta advising that my ecredit is good until May 31, 2022.  

I've been reading about that also.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, clo said:

And if airlines have to do this, why don't cruise lines? Is it their lack of US "status"? Hmm.

Confused. Not sure I follow the correlation to lack of US status with cruise lines and Norwegian Air as they are not US based either. 

And Norwegian Air has been in financial trouble for a few years now and facing potential bankruptcy, in particular selling aircraft and cutting routes through 2019.  This current situation is likely only accelerating that issue to a more rapid probable conclusion.  As a result, I would think booking with them would be a risk to begin with.

Hopefully it will work out for you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

20 hours ago, clo said:

I'm going to be dealing with this tomorrow. Our cruise was canceled and we have an FCC for it. And our flights on Norwegian Air have been canceled (cause they're on the verge of going under). So here's the info. I'll be dealing with this tomorrow. I hope this help someone else.

What makes you think the cruise lines don't have to give you a refund? If they cancelled the cruise you're entitled to a refund if you request it. Otherwise they'll give you an FCC if you're willing to accept it. They've set it up so that the FCC is the default option, but you'll get a refund if you request it. 

Just now, njhorseman said:

What makes you think the cruise lines don't have to give you a refund? If they cancelled the cruise you're entitled to a refund if you request it. Otherwise they'll give you an FCC if you're willing to accept it. They've set it up so that the FCC is the default option, but you'll get a refund if you request it. 

...and most are also offering the FCC in an amount greater than the amount paid and to be refunded as an incentive to take the FCC.  

1 hour ago, SRF said:

That article does not cite any laws that say this.

"If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets.  You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment. " from DOT linked to in TPG article. 

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...and most are also offering the FCC in an amount greater than the amount paid and to be refunded as an incentive to take the FCC.  

Correct. Trying to provide an incentive for you to cruise with them as soon as you can after the crisis has waned while at the same time hoping to hold on to their cash.

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

For the full amount of the cruise even after final payment? Wow. I guess I've been misreading all of this for quite a while.

25 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As a result, I would think booking with them would be a risk to begin with.

We've flown with them twice previously and really liked them but yes have been aware of their financial status. But they had secured some more money and then this. I don't think they'll make it this time. Sent in my claim and got an acknowledgment so we'll see. If they don't refund and go under I guess we'll join the list of unsecured creditors.

Just now, clo said:

For the full amount of the cruise even after final payment? Wow. I guess I've been misreading all of this for quite a while.

Yes...for the full amount you've paid for the cruise...as long as it was cancelled by the cruise line.

If you cancelled before the cruise line did then it's a different story. Then you either get the monetary refund you're entitled to under their contractual cancellation provisions or some type of FCC that they may voluntarily choose to offer. 

20 hours ago, clo said:

I'm a little confused.  Norwegian air is not saying you can' t have a refund.  For cancelled flights they offer a refund or cash points  (+ bonus) for future bookings.   

If you don't mind my asking, when was the flight that got cancelled?  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If you don't mind my asking, when was the flight that got cancelled?  

Now! We'd have flown out on 3/29 and returned on 4/15. With multiple flights, trains, hotels, cruise, tours. It had SIXTEEN different parts to put together...and then take apart 🙂

Re refunds they really make you dig through their site. These were premium but non-refundable tickets. But after digging I finally found the language for refund rather than credit.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Now! We'd have flown out on 3/29 and returned on 4/15. With multiple flights, trains, hotels, cruise, tours. It had SIXTEEN different parts to put together...and then take apart 🙂

Re refunds they really make you dig through their site. These were premium but non-refundable tickets. But after digging I finally found the language for refund rather than credit.

Thanks.  Now that you mention it, I remember you talking about all of the various components to this trip.   Hopefully it will all work out for you.   

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  Now that you mention it, I remember you talking about all of the various components to this trip.   Hopefully it will all work out for you.   

It's almost funny. It was complicated enough that I finally made a real calendar with notes like pre-flight check in's, everything.  then had Bob go through it bit by bit. And then I got to cancel everything. Goody gumdrops 🙂

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Correct. Trying to provide an incentive for you to cruise with them as soon as you can after the crisis has waned while at the same time hoping to hold on to their cash.

But it is as a choice with a greater value that is attractive to some.  

I'm going to be dealing with this tomorrow. Our cruise was canceled and we have an FCC for it. And our flights on Norwegian Air have been canceled (cause they're on the verge of going under). So here's the info. I'll be dealing with this tomorrow. I hope this help someone else.https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refund-for-canceled-flight/  

The airlines are regulated by the US and EU. Cruise lines are mostly not. Cruise lines have fought any kind of regulation for years. Of course the airlines don’t like regulations either but since they are US and EU companies they can’t skate around them they can only lobby for or against regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The airlines are regulated by the US and EU. Cruise lines are mostly not. Cruise lines have fought any kind of regulation for years. Of course the airlines don’t like regulations either but since they are US and EU companies they can’t skate around them they can only lobby for or against regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I've read non-US airlines that fly to/from the US are governed by DOT.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Yes. When Celebrity cancelled our 28 March and 4 April cruises on 13 March (well after finial payment) they offered us 125% FCC or 100% refund. We took the 100% refund for both cruises. 

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes. When Celebrity cancelled our 28 March and 4 April cruises on 13 March (well after finial payment) they offered us 125% FCC or 100% refund. We took the 100% refund for both cruises. 

Thanks. I guess because cruise cancelling (on their part) is a pretty new thing I've not tracked it well. And we did recently cancel a cruise for early Sept. rather than wait to see what they are going to do. Mainly due to the gross amount our $$$ have lost in the market and our 'feeling' that there's no way they can recover by then.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks. I guess because cruise cancelling (on their part) is a pretty new thing I've not tracked it well. And we did recently cancel a cruise for early Sept. rather than wait to see what they are going to do. Mainly due to the gross amount our $$$ have lost in the market and our 'feeling' that there's no way they can recover by then.

We also have a Celebrity cruise booked for September. Hopefully it's ago. We'll just wait and let Celebrity decide for us whether or not we are going. If they Cancel the cruise we'll take the refund again. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

We also have a Celebrity cruise booked for September. Hopefully it's ago. We'll just wait and let Celebrity decide for us whether or not we are going. If they Cancel the cruise we'll take the refund again. 

We have a FCC on Hurtigruten good through 2021. That would be nice.