Why do I owe $964?

Cyn874

Can someone help me understand this?

I called the other evening and got through fairly quickly. The woman that helped me was very helpful and got pretty much everything done as far as moving my FCC from my old booking over to my new one in October, and gave me a reference number.. I was a little confused as she was going through all the numbers with me and coming up with oddball amounts that didn't seem to match anything. 

My Original booking for May 9th was a total of $2357.14. 

My NEW booking for October 3rd is a total of $1817.14. 

I paid a $250 deposit on my new booking before I called. 

The agent said there is normally a $964 penalty for canceling, but they are of course  waiving that. She filled out the form on her end and moved my FCC from my old booking to my new booking and applied my $600 OBC, which I think she said might take 7 days to show up. 

She said for the difference in amount, a refund of $790 would be refunded back to my credit card within 90 days. ($540 for the price difference in booking + $250 deposit = $790, so that part checks out.) 

But now it says on my new booking that my final payment amount to be billed in July is $964. I wonder if that will drop off in a few days, or if it was a mistake, or what the deal is with that? I'm a little concerned. Has anyone else had a similar problem if you rebooked for hundreds less than your original booking, but you're still seeing a balance due?

I don't even understand where the $853.14 under payment received came from, she even read off to me that  my other booking that was being canceled was $2357.14. 

balance.png

Edited by Cyn874

3 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

The agent said there is normally a $964 penalty for canceling, but they are of course  waiving that.

2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Q:  Why do I owe $964?

A:  The agent said there is normally a $964 penalty for canceling

But the agent also said "but they are of course waiving that".

• Like 2

I bet it is because of the wording on the cancellations listed at the bottom of this. My TA got everything but my pre-purchased excursion transferred over for me and that wasn't for lack of trying on his part, they just couldn't couldn't it as "fare" transfer. I didn't have pre-paid grats or their vacation protection, but my cruise did have almost $500 in taxes & fees that I didn't want to be refunded in a combo of gift cards/CC to make my life easier.

I would call and ask them to be sure. I would say $964 seems like a lot for those few things, but the new cruise I booked has over $850 in taxes & fees on it so.... 

But if you had $400 in taxes and fees, $200 each in insurance and gratuities, that is at least getting closer to $964. 

Regardless of the option you select, your taxes, fees and port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection, pre-paid gratuities, pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions, beverage and Wi-Fi packages, and Fun Shop purchases will be automatically refunded to the original form of payment. 

5 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

The agent said there is normally a $964 penalty for canceling, but they are of course  waiving that. She filled out the form on her end and moved my FCC from my old booking to my new booking and applied my $600 OBC, which I think she said might take 7 days to show up. But now it says on my new booking that my final payment amount to be billed in July is $964.

Sounds like your situation is similar to mine...

Since my cruise out of San Francisco to Hawaii was cancelled, I elected to move all of our monies to an identical cruise that departs in 2021.  As was your situation, my cancellation penalty was $800, which was supposed to be transferred to the new cruise (along with the $600 OBC) within 7 days, leaving me with a balance of $50.58 to pay off my new cruise.

Thus far, neither the $800 cancellation penalty (AKA FCC) nor the $600 OBC has shown up.  My booking now shows a balance of $850.58.

If the FCC ($800) and OBC aren't applied by next Wednesday, I'll be calling them back.

Garnett

• Like 2

Fully-paid April cruise cancelled.  Full refund promised. Rebooked to December.  Part of the money went to the new cruise.  The part that was for port fees and such is supposed to be credited back to credit card.  Waiting!  I do not understand why I needed to long up $500 new deposit right away, but when they owe me it takes 90 days.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Trueblueky said:

.... I do not understand why I needed to long up $500 new deposit right away, but when they owe me it takes 90 days.

Because they are all heavily in debt, little to no new money coming in I'd guess.  And by taking 3 months to refund you, they get a 0% interest loan.  Same with FCC, money in the bank. 

An angle I had not thought of until someone else mentioned answered my question of why would RCI advertise an amazing deal for late May out of Jersey.....  No way they are sailing then

Edited by young_ens
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

Fully-paid April cruise cancelled.  Full refund promised. Rebooked to December.  Part of the money went to the new cruise.  The part that was for port fees and such is supposed to be credited back to credit card.  Waiting!  I do not understand why I needed to long up $500 new deposit right away, but when they owe me it takes 90 days.

There is a simple answer. They do that because they can do it.

Thanks, it's still very confusing to me. Carnival said we'd be getting a 100% FCC, so if my new cruise was almost $600 LESS  than my original booking, I'm confused why I owe over $900. I shouldn't owe a penny- they owe me money back. I'm hoping it's something that's supposed to clear off the booking within 7 days but yeah, I guess I'll try calling in a few days if it hasn't. I was hoping to hear if other people are seeing the same, in the event that their new booking is LESS than the cancelled one. It sounds like the case for a couple of you.

Edited by Cyn874
  • Like 1

The amount shown as a balance due is the amount of the pending FCC.  It will drop off once the FCC is applied, which might take quite a while due to the quantity they have to work.  My PVP was very careful to explain this to me so I wouldn’t worry about it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

I was hoping to hear if other people are seeing the same, in the event that their new booking is LESS than the cancelled one. It sounds like the case for a couple of you.

My new booking is less than the cancelled one, by $70.  Our (temporary) balance due is $430 (the $500 that would normally be the penalty amount minus the $70 overpayment).  When the FCC is applied, we will have a balance due of $0 and OBC of $670.

• Like 1

I used my FCC Wednesday evening. I had them move the gratuities and the port taxes and fees that I had paid to my newly booked cruise instead of them refunding those. If not then I would just have to pay them again which makes no sense and seeing as they are saying it could take 3 months for the refund to show. The new cruise was slightly less by 87 which they said would be refunded. It showed immediately that my new cruise was paid in full and also showed my 600 OBC. I would call them back to look into it. 

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The amount shown as a balance due is the amount of the pending FCC.  It will drop off once the FCC is applied, which might take quite a while due to the quantity they have to work.  My PVP was very careful to explain this to me so I wouldn’t worry about it.

This is correct

So curious, are y’all who take the future cruise able to see your $600 OBC in your booking? We had a cruise cancelled, booked a future cruise, and had $93 extra that I just had them leave as OBC. I can see the $93 in my booking details, but is the $600 something I should see now or when we hopefully board in 4 months?

Thank you all! I was hoping that was the case and I feel much better now. Final payment isn't until July, so there is plenty of time for it to get sorted. 

And no, I don't see my OBC yet, but I just called them this past week, so it'll be some time. I was given a reference number, though.

2 hours ago, wardamnweagle said:

So curious, are y’all who take the future cruise able to see your $600 OBC in your booking? We had a cruise cancelled, booked a future cruise, and had $93 extra that I just had them leave as OBC. I can see the $93 in my booking details, but is the $600 something I should see now or when we hopefully board in 4 months?

When I did mine I didn't see the 600. I inquired on here about it and someone said theirs showed so I called back. Now of course it took 45 mins to get back through. Mentioned that I wasnt seeing it so this PVP said yes it wasnt added. As soon as I got of the phone it showed. Not sure why the different answers but I would double check and ask. The first PVP said I wouldn't see it till I boarded which sounded odd to me which is what prompted me to ask on here to see. Glad I did as I dont think it would have been there when I boarded. 

19 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I called the other evening and got through fairly quickly. The woman that helped me was very helpful and got pretty much everything done as far as moving my FCC from my old booking over to my new one in October, and gave me a reference number.. I was a little confused as she was going through all the numbers with me and coming up with oddball amounts that didn't seem to match anything. 

My Original booking for May 9th was a total of $2357.14. 

My NEW booking for October 3rd is a total of $1817.14. 

I paid a $250 deposit on my new booking before I called. 

The agent said there is normally a $964 penalty for canceling, but they are of course  waiving that. She filled out the form on her end and moved my FCC from my old booking to my new booking and applied my $600 OBC, which I think she said might take 7 days to show up. 

She said for the difference in amount, a refund of $790 would be refunded back to my credit card within 90 days. ($540 for the price difference in booking + $250 deposit = $790, so that part checks out.) 

But now it says on my new booking that my final payment amount to be billed in July is $964. I wonder if that will drop off in a few days, or if it was a mistake, or what the deal is with that? I'm a little concerned. Has anyone else had a similar problem if you rebooked for hundreds less than your original booking, but you're still seeing a balance due?

I don't even understand where the $853.14 under payment received came from, she even read off to me that  my other booking that was being canceled was $2357.14. 

balance.png

I cancelled and rebooked a cruise and my PVP said it takes 5-7 days for things to change over-mine shows I owe $200 even tho I will be getting $200+ back-wait 5-7 days and if you don't see a change give a call

• Like 1

This happened to me too so I called back. They redid everything with Corporate and as soon as I hung up my FCC was applied and the remaining balance disappeared. Ten minutes later I received email confirmation of the "paid in full" notice.

Thanks for this update, I guess I will need to call my PVP. It’s been several weeks since we cancelled and rebooked. Still shows a balance and our cancelled cruise fare, less taxes and fees, more than covers our rebooking (thanks to the two free days sale).

Just an update on this in case anyone else is tracking this against their own booking- the $964 dropped off my booking today and I now have a $0 balance, and my $600 OBC is now showing on my booking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

Just an update on this in case anyone else is tracking this against their own booking- the $964 dropped off my booking today and I now have a $0 balance, and my $600 OBC is now showing on my booking.

same with ours.  7 days and our new booking showed paid in full, gratuities, taxes, fees and all.  And showed in the cruise documents that we had a $600 OBC.  We actually thought we would have a small balance left because the new booking showed it was about $184 more then the cancelled one.  And this is why I love our PVP cause he fiddled the numbers and made it come out even and paid in full, didn’t pay an extra dime.  

On 4/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, Brad1972 said:

Our PVP said all the funds from our canceled cruise could take a week or more to be transferred to the new booking.  Give it a few days and call or email them and ask for an update.  

• Like 1