You wont see this again soon

That reminds me of the cruise we did on Majestic Princess, November 2018, to Tasmania where we had to outrun a storm and missed the Wineglass Bay scenic cruising. After getting past the worst of the storm we cruised slowly back up the coast to Sydney. It was still quite wild and windy so the ship hugged the coast, much closer than I've ever seen (other than parts of Queensland going through the GBR). We had wonderful views of the coastline, and the various towns we passed.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 4/5/2020 at 8:00 PM, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

Wilsons Prom Australia taken whist on board Celebrity Solstice  about 3 years ago

Best wishes 

John

P1080320.JPG

Great pic John, bit of a swell running.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, getting older slowly said:

To add to your photo John

Here is another on of the lighthouse at the Prom

taken from the Golden Princess Dec 20161506526848_thelighttheprom2016.thumb.jpg.920f832f55f92ce7389dbbc133782afc.jpg

and my favorite one at Dunedin taken Dec 2019

1287010975_dunedinlight.thumb.jpg.8947b76de544313339b0680f0055cb86.jpg

Cheers Don

That is my favourite also.  There is something about lighthouses.  When we cruised down the Maine Coast, each place featured their own lighthouse.  In one, the cruise line had organised a picnic in the lighthouse - nice highlight!

FOR  JOHN -

Yesterday was the 108th anniversary of the sinking of Titanic.

For as long as there are those of us who remember our halcyon days - the art will never die.

Photos of Radio Officers memorial New York

Name of Jack Phillips - 1st RO Titanic  who did not make it.

1-For as long as there are those of us who remember our halcyon days - the art will never die.png

2-RO memorial.png

3-Jack Phillips.png

• Like 1

A distant relative of mine was a carpenter working on the building of the Titanic in Belfast and was supposed to sail on her ill-fated voyage to finish off some carpentry but his wife according to family lore became very ill so he didn't go. Very fortunate that his wife became ill perhaps.

Leigh

Your relative was very lucky.

If you want to know why Titanic sank - read book by 2nd Officer Commander Charles Herbert Lightoller - "Titanic & Other Ships".

He dedicated the book to "my persistant wife who made me do it".  She was an Aussie whom he met when she was aged 17, on ss Suevic a ship going to Sydney.

Suevic returned to UK with 2nd officer & Mrs. Lightoller aged 18. 

The whole book is his life story but was not written until 1935 & there are few dates included. 

He went to sea as an apprentice aged 13 - before the mast in 1888, & was involved in the Fort Denison incident 10/1900.

When WW1 started he was 1st Off. on ss Oceanic & became 1st Lieutenant RNR on HMS Oceanic.

1st command was HMTB 117 [torpedo boat] in 12/1915.  Left RN as Commander RNR in late 1918 with DSC & Bar.

In July 1939 RN Intelligence asked the Lightollers to survey part of the German coast in their motor launch Sundowner.

1-6-40 Lightoller, his son & a sea cadet take Sundowner to Dunkirk & rescue 127 men. The boat is in Ramsgate maritime museum.

In all he survived 4 shipwrecks & multiple other adventures plus 2 world wars - died at age 78.

• Like 1