Will the Gem sail to Bermuda on May15th

1 hour ago, Marygracie C. said:

We are booked on NCL Gem sailing from Boston to Bermuda leaving on May 15th.We are hopefully hoping it will sail;we however are not clueless about the situation in the world.Any ideas?

It won't 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marygracie C. said:

We are booked on NCL Gem sailing from Boston to Bermuda leaving on May 15th.We are hopefully hoping it will sail;we however are not clueless about the situation in the world.Any ideas?

How could you possibly be hopeful that your cruise will sail? In case you haven’t realized we are in the midst of a pandemic! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marygracie C. said:

Thank you for the decent answers.Shame on you others were rude.This is a time to be kind to our fellow humans.Maybe this is why we are in this mess.

Rude, how? Truthfulness is not rudeness, it is simply reality. It's unfortunate some don't seem to know the difference. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Rude, how? Truthfulness is not rudeness, it is simply reality. It's unfortunate some don't seem to know the difference. 

There was a crude wording post, which has since been removed, that the OP was referring to. 

Just now, esm54687 said:

There was a crude wording post, which has since been removed, that the OP was referring to. 

Ah, okay, thanks Scott (correct name, right?), I didn't realize someone had been that rude. My apologies.  It's unfortunate, but I think many are feeling stressed and anxious regarding the "stay at home" policy in many areas.  I have been fortunate that my family has embraced it.  

We chat online, text messaging, I do little crafts for my grand children.. but.. I know not all feel this is enough.

My hope is that all will get past the worst of this horrible virus and become even closer than we were before the advent of this event. 

Best off luck to all and hope all stay healthy and while it may be difficult to do so, please be kind to each other. 

Best wishes.... hugs to all that may need them.  (((hugs)))

Short answer is no.  I don't see Bermuda re-opening with the welcome mats for cruise ships to visit anytime soon, not for quite some time, later and not sooner.  Nor ports on the East Coast being open for embarkation & disembarkation, especially NY/NJ ...  Assuming the industry can bring back the ship crew from abroad first (airlines around the world are parking their birds.) *** if & when it is deemed safe to fly

Bermuda is now on Day 2 of its own islands-wide lockdown, closing its borders - by air and by sea, etc. to deal with their own confirmed C19 cases.  Any US nationals on the island that do not leave on the "final" emergency Delta flight next Tuesday are on their own & shall be prepared to stay/remain there on an indefinite basis.  A very strict shelter-in-place order being enforced by the police and soliders on the island.  

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20200405/last-call-for-emergency-flight-tickets-to-us

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

OP , I think you know the answer to that without asking. The stay at home doesn't end until May 1st. 

With many of the crew sent home it will take weeks to reorganize them. Then add in the fact testing will need to be done to Everyone going. Pax and crew.

It's been said by 2 people that have knowledge on cruise lines that it takes 4-6 weeks for a ship to get ready again. So at the earliest June 1st. I wouldn't bet on that either. Ships aren't sailing until again test are completed.

Thank you.This is fairly new territory for me. I will try to follow the thread.There have been many insightful and helpful responses and I thank you.However,if you go to the thread for this cruise,many people think it is a go.The cruise in part is sponsored by a popular NCL duo .My guess is I would be surprised to see the Gem sail on May 15th,However,This has been a time of surprises.

Just now, Marygracie C. said:

Thank you.This is fairly new territory for me. I will try to follow the thread.There have been many insightful and helpful responses and I thank you.However,if you go to the thread for this cruise,many people think it is a go.The cruise in part is sponsored by a popular NCL duo .My guess is I would be surprised to see the Gem sail on May 15th,However,This has been a time of surprises.

Amazing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Amazing.

Yes, amazing to think NCL would cancel a cruise in part sponsored by a popular NCL duo.  The nerve of some people.  Does Bermuda know a popular NCL duo is booked?  Surely that will be a factor in deciding when the island will open again.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yankees111 said:

How could you possibly be hopeful that your cruise will sail? In case you haven’t realized we are in the midst of a pandemic! 

Presumably they were  hopeful that, in a month and a half, they wouldn't be in the midst of a pandemic anymore (the same thing that cruises with June, July, August, September, etc... cruises are hoping, but for their sailings).

Everybody knows what the situation is now.  What people are unsure about is what the situation will be like in the future.

46 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Presumably they were  hopeful that, in a month and a half, they wouldn't be in the midst of a pandemic anymore (the same thing that cruises with June, July, August, September, etc... cruises are hoping, but for their sailings).

Everybody knows what the situation is now.  What people are unsure about is what the situation will be like in the future.

If you are cruising in November maybe you can have a hint of optimism at this time that those sailings could possibly take place. There is no way no how that cruises are going to resume in less then 6 weeks and too think that they might is naive.

Just now, yankees111 said:

If you are cruising in November maybe you can have a hint of optimism at this time that those sailings could possibly take place. There is no way no how that cruises are going to resume in less then 6 weeks and too think that they might is naive.

Naive isn't the issue here though.  You questions how anybody could POSSIBLY hope that cruises would sail in a month and a half.

There are lots of people who are naive or not as informed as you.  There are lots of people who are looking at best case scenarios.

You can argue that they're mistaken, but it's certainly possible to see why and how they'd hope that it could happen.

Unfortunately there is almost no chance a May 14th sailing will occur at this point.  We are on the June 5th sailing of the Gem to Bermuda and have been hopeful for a while we could get to go.  I think there's probably less than a 10% chance of us going in June.  We've rebooked an April Carnival cruise to the end of August and I think we have a fighting chance to be on that cruise.  It's all so disappointing because the cruise to Bermuda is my son's graduation present.  He will miss that, his senior prom, his senior trip and his graduation ceremony.  

• Like 1

I just went over and read the last page of the roll call for this cruise.  Some of the people on that cruise still believe it is a go and one person just booked this cruise last Saturday.  Unbelievable. 

Wow - VERY sad to read such snarky sarcastic comments on this one - she’s a newer member looking to experienced cruisers for their prediction - NO official word from NCL has been issued for this date yet, so why don’t you nicely say “I don’t think it will sail” and provide any source of information that you have - either factual or conjecture - that would be helpful for her to learn what may or may not happen

• Like 6