Jump to content

Crystal still hasn't processed my 5 figure refund from a cancellation in February


Recommended Posts

Just now, caroak said:

 

Thanks, Benita.  This is helpful and I'll be prepared when I call.  We cancelled our 2 cruises before Crystal did but sounds like basically the same info.  I thought they might require me to send them documentation.  I'll be calling shortly and will post how it goes.

 

Carole

The money was posted to my credit card this morning. I guess it is up to Crystal as to whether they want to dispute it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Well, it does matter what others are doing as people are comparing their Crystal experience with others for the future.

I have posted it here before

1) Viking river - 2 deposits refunded in 3 days

2)American cruises in 1 month

3) Oceania - 3 deposits of $1500 each in 43 days and 1 fully paid cruise over$23K in 53 days.

I am still waiting for a refund from Seabourn (125 days+) & Crystal - nothing says luxury like treating your customers like cr^p

 

As of Dec. 31, 2019, Genting Hong Kong had a current ratio of 1.27, while Carnival Corporation had a current ratio of 0.22.   When this ratio is greater than 1, a company’s balance sheet indicates that it has sufficient resources to cover its obligations over the coming year.

 

A current ratio is useful for comparing all of a company’s current assets to its current liabilities. These are generally defined as assets that are cash or will be turned into cash in a year or less, and liabilities that will be paid or fulfilled in a year or less.  (NOTE:  A $1,000 cruise deposit increases a company’s cash and its contract liability.  If a deposit is converted to an FCC, it remains a contract liability.)

 

Genting and Carnival are not similar enough to draw any definite conclusions, and they also follow different accounting standards.   Additionally, this year’s cruise cancellations are so abnormal and disruptive that prior current ratios have become dysfunctional.

Nevertheless, it is enlightening to discover that Genting’s balance sheet revealed a relatively favorable condition, whereas Carnival’s balance sheet revealed a relatively vulnerable condition prior to COVID-19.

 

Edited by Jim9310
spacing
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

 

As of Dec. 31, 2019, Genting Hong Kong had a current ratio of 1.27, while Carnival Corporation had a current ratio of 0.22.   When this ratio is greater than 1, a company’s balance sheet indicates that it has sufficient resources to cover its obligations over the coming year.

 

A current ratio is useful for comparing all of a company’s current assets to its current liabilities. These are generally defined as assets that are cash or will be turned into cash in a year or less, and liabilities that will be paid or fulfilled in a year or less.  (NOTE:  A $1,000 cruise deposit increases a company’s cash and its contract liability.  If a deposit is converted to an FCC, it remains a contract liability.)

 

Genting and Carnival are not similar enough to draw any definite conclusions, and they also follow different accounting standards.   Additionally, this year’s cruise cancellations are so abnormal and disruptive that prior current ratios have become dysfunctional.

Nevertheless, it is enlightening to discover that Genting’s balance sheet revealed a relatively favorable condition, whereas Carnival’s balance sheet revealed a relatively vulnerable condition prior to COVID-19.

 

Well - how very nice for Genting.

That makes it even more egregious that they have the money but don't want to pay out in time unlike those that have even less cash and do pay out.

Apparently they do not need my interest free loan - so pay it back NOW!

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

 

As of Dec. 31, 2019, Genting Hong Kong had a current ratio of 1.27, while Carnival Corporation had a current ratio of 0.22.   When this ratio is greater than 1, a company’s balance sheet indicates that it has sufficient resources to cover its obligations over the coming year.

 

A current ratio is useful for comparing all of a company’s current assets to its current liabilities. These are generally defined as assets that are cash or will be turned into cash in a year or less, and liabilities that will be paid or fulfilled in a year or less.  (NOTE:  A $1,000 cruise deposit increases a company’s cash and its contract liability.  If a deposit is converted to an FCC, it remains a contract liability.)

 

Genting and Carnival are not similar enough to draw any definite conclusions, and they also follow different accounting standards.   Additionally, this year’s cruise cancellations are so abnormal and disruptive that prior current ratios have become dysfunctional.

Nevertheless, it is enlightening to discover that Genting’s balance sheet revealed a relatively favorable condition, whereas Carnival’s balance sheet revealed a relatively vulnerable condition prior to COVID-19.

 

Thank you so much! I feel better now about my existing future bookings, somewhat more confident in Crystal future. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave up waiting for Crystal to refund at day 118 and day 90 so filed disputes today.  Another couple we were going to be cruising with got their refund on Friday and they cancelled a few days after us.  Makes you wonder what's going on with Crystal.:classic_unsure:

 

Carole

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, BookLover102 said:

 

I posted in a moment of frustration, i should not have bothered. I don't like social media. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

I just became aware that you have received your refund and did not even bother to let us know for 3 weeks.

You took time to start your dramatic thread, feed this thread with your frustration but did not have the courtesy to let us know that you have received your refund!

 

It would take less than a minute of your time to post your positive news about refunds, but why to bother because YOUR problem was solved, right?

 

 

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, FlyerTalker said:

 

Doesn't matter what other companies are doing....don't you know the mantra is  "I want MY money".

Exactly.  The fact that other cruise lines may have issues with lengthy delays in the refund process has nothing to do with Crystal or our money.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I belong now to the optimistic ones that decided not to request a refund but to use the money to pay a previous booking for 2021 and make a new one for 2022.  My cruise was cancelled by Crystal on June 24th. I would love to cruise with Crystal again.
Ivi

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I belong now to the optimistic ones that decided not to request a refund but to use the money to pay a previous booking for 2021 and make a new one for 2022.  My cruise was cancelled by Crystal on June 24th. I would love to cruise with Crystal again.
Ivi

Some people would call that throwing good money after bad.

I would be one of those people. First the least I expect from them is to pay me back what they owe me and then I just might "loan" them some more of my money for free (for at least 2 years).

Edited by Paulchili
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Some people would call that throwing good money after bad.

I would be one of those people. First the least I expect from them is to pay me back what they owe me and then I just might "loan" them some more of my money for free (for at least 2 years).

I am sorry you feel that way. I know you did not particularly like Crystal anyhow. I think you are more a cruiser from Oceania. A very valuable cruiser as far as I remember. I do not mind lend them the money if they are able to use that money to refund guests like you. I just hope that I will be able to take my cruises. There is a risk yes...

Ivi

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I am sorry you feel that way. I know you did not particularly like Crystal anyhow. I think you are more a cruiser from Oceania. A very valuable cruiser as far as I remember. I do not mind lend them the money if they are able to use that money to refund guests like you. I just hope that I will be able to take my cruises. There is a risk yes...

Ivi

 

I believe this has nothing to do with liking Crystal. We did only one Crystal cruise, and we loved it so much that we booked three more cruises on board. But the way Crystal treats its customers during this crisis is inexcusable. We know that it's possible to do things differently, by looking at some other cruise lines and travel companies. 

 

We still have deposits for two Crystal cruises in 2022, and I really hope Crystal will be around in 2022. But booking new cruises with Crystal at this point does feel like throwing good money after bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I am sorry you feel that way. I know you did not particularly like Crystal anyhow. I think you are more a cruiser from Oceania. A very valuable cruiser as far as I remember. I do not mind lend them the money if they are able to use that money to refund guests like you. I just hope that I will be able to take my cruises. There is a risk yes...

Ivi

You are right - I do prefer Oceania to Crystal based on my one Crystal cruise. Obvioously I was willing to try them again as I booked a Jan cruise.

I received 3 deposits from Oceania (each of $1500) in 43 days and 1 fully paid cruise in 53 days.

I feel that they showed me some respect by doing that.

Here we have Crystal that someone said Genting has plenty of funds but they refuse to refund money before 120 days (if that). What kind of customer service is that? Is that what people call luxury?

ETA - Viking river returned 2 of my deposits in THREE days; American cruises in 1 month; Princess in 60 days. Why can't Crystal come even close to that?

All cruise lines are busy, have reduced staff and every other excuse Crystal is using yet they get it done.

Edited by Paulchili
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

You are right - I do prefer Oceania to Crystal based on my one Crystal cruise. Obvioously I was willing to try them again as I booked a Jan cruise.

I received 3 deposits from Oceania (each of $1500) in 43 days and 1 fully paid cruise in 53 days.

I feel that they showed me some respect by doing that.

Here we have Crystal that someone said Genting has plenty of funds but they refuse to refund money before 120 days (if that). What kind of customer service is that? Is that what people call luxury?

ETA - Viking river returned 2 of my deposits in THREE days; American cruises in 1 month; Princess in 60 days. Why can't Crystal come even close to that?

All cruise lines are busy, have reduced staff and every other excuse Crystal is using yet they get it done.

Just realize that those are your experiences. It took me over 90 days to get my money back from Princess and the amount is not correct. So 118 days later, I am still waiting for money back from Princess. Glad you were able to get yours back in 60 days. Not my experience. A friend of mine waited 75 days from Oceania to get their deposit back. Everyone's experiences may vary.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Just realize that those are your experiences. It took me over 90 days to get my money back from Princess and the amount is not correct. So 118 days later, I am still waiting for money back from Princess. Glad you were able to get yours back in 60 days. Not my experience. A friend of mine waited 75 days from Oceania to get their deposit back. Everyone's experiences may vary.

That is true - we all tend to go by our own experiences.

Are you waiting for a Crystal refund? If so, how long.

Did any of your friends have to wait over 120 days on ANY cruise line?

Percentage-wise, how much did Princess refund at 90 days vs what you are waiting for now?

Edited by Paulchili
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That is true - we all tend to go by our own experiences.

Are you waiting for a Crystal refund? If so, how long.

Did any of your friends have to wait over 120 days on ANY cruise line?

Percentage-wise, how much did Princess refund at 90 days vs what you are waiting for now?

I am not waiting for Crystal. I didn't have anything booked with them. Yes there are people on Princess waiting around 120 days. With Princess, those on March sailings seem to be refunded later than those on summer Alaska sailings. Go figure.  I cancelled March 6th with Princess and did not receive a full refund so I am around that number. The vast majority of my money did come at the 90 day mark. It is frustrating as Princess never sent me a statement with how they calculated the refund but a rep I spoke to with Princess agreed with me that I am short.

 

If you think about it - a lot of cruises were cancelled around the first and second week of March which puts us around 120 days now (4 months). There were some Asian cruises cancelled before that. Princess did go back and offered to refund anyone from February 4th and beyond (official announcement came on March 12th) and some of those individuals are still waiting.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, when a cruise line is marketing itself as a 6 star experience, it should apply to all areas. Including refunds. A company like Crystal should hold itself to higher standards than Princess or Celebrity.

 

The reality is opposite on average for most people.

 

i understand that their system was not designed for situations like this, but they had more than enough time to hire more staff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

In my opinion, when a cruise line is marketing itself as a 6 star experience, it should apply to all areas. Including refunds. A company like Crystal should hold itself to higher standards than Princess or Celebrity.

 

The reality is opposite on average for most people.

 

i understand that their system was not designed for situations like this, but they had more than enough time to hire more staff.

I know I don't have skin in the game here (though I have waited for awhile for a refund from another line) - I don't think there really is a difference in refunds from luxury lines vs non-luxury lines. I doubt IHG treated Intercontinental guests different than Holiday Inn guests. Did NCL Cruise Line holdings treat Oceania and Regent differently than NCL? Did Delta treat their First Class passengers differently than Coach for refunds? It all boils down to their accounting systems, their employees and their assets. IMO - everyone should receive a refund in 30 days but apparently that is not realistic. 

 

I wish everyone returns soon! I know how stressful it was waiting for mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

In my opinion, when a cruise line is marketing itself as a 6 star experience, it should apply to all areas. Including refunds. A company like Crystal should hold itself to higher standards than Princess or Celebrity.

 

The reality is opposite on average for most people.

 

i understand that their system was not designed for situations like this, but they had more than enough time to hire more staff.

 

HIRE more staff??? What fantasy world are you living in?? Virtually every cruise line I deal with, luxury and mass market, cut staff by at least 50% or more, and all the ones left are working from home. In the last two months I have not talked to a single Res Agent who was NOT working from home, and I know that because it is all part of the "banter" between agents in the field and the Res Agents. Call it "gallows humour"!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

 

HIRE more staff??? What fantasy world are you living in?? Virtually every cruise line I deal with, luxury and mass market, cut staff by at least 50% or more, and all the ones left are working from home. In the last two months I have not talked to a single Res Agent who was NOT working from home, and I know that because it is all part of the "banter" between agents in the field and the Res Agents. Call it "gallows humour"!!

 


Apparently Gate 1 can issue refund within 10 days, and Crystal needs 120 days? Is it not possible to issue a refund while working from home? You are aware it’s 2020 now, right? You know that if people have internet connection they can do virtually everything from home, right?

 

Maybe, just maybe, they could predict the flood of refund requests and not cut staff by 50%? What happened to “customer comes first”?
 

Do you believe that 120 days refunds should be the norm?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Coral said:

I know I don't have skin in the game here (though I have waited for awhile for a refund from another line) - I don't think there really is a difference in refunds from luxury lines vs non-luxury lines. I doubt IHG treated Intercontinental guests different than Holiday Inn guests. Did NCL Cruise Line holdings treat Oceania and Regent differently than NCL? Did Delta treat their First Class passengers differently than Coach for refunds? It all boils down to their accounting systems, their employees and their assets. IMO - everyone should receive a refund in 30 days but apparently that is not realistic. 

 

I wish everyone returns soon! I know how stressful it was waiting for mine.

Why are you posting on this thread if you are not even waiting for a refund from Crystal? This thread is about refunds from Crystal.

 

You are defending Crystal not processing refunds in a reasonable time on other Crystal threads too but you do not have any cancelled Crystal bookings (or ANY Crystal bookings?).

What is your motivation? It is your job?

You have 32,565 posts which averages 135 a month plus the time it takes following multiple threads  - sounds more like a job to me (for Crystal?) rather than a pastime.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sdancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sdancer said:

Why are you posting on this thread if you are not even waiting for a refund from Crystal? This thread is about refunds from Crystal.

 

You are defending Crystal not processing refunds in a reasonable time on other Crystal threads too but you do not have any cancelled Crystal bookings (or ANY Crystal bookings?).

What is your motivation? It is your job?

You have 32,565 posts which averages 135 a month plus the time it takes following multiple threads  - sounds more like a job to me (for Crystal?) rather than a pastime.

 I can't understand why there are all these complaints and people waiting ,there is one answer file a credit card dispute then you will know you will get your money unless Crystal go broke !!  

 

 

 

 

Edited by roger b
Miss Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Why are you posting on this thread if you are not even waiting for a refund from Crystal? This thread is about refunds from Crystal.

 

You are defending Crystal not processing refunds in a reasonable time on other Crystal threads too but you do not have any cancelled Crystal bookings (or ANY Crystal bookings?).

What is your motivation? It is your job?

You have 32,565 posts which averages 135 a month plus the time it takes following multiple threads  - sounds more like a job to me (for Crystal?) rather than a pastime.

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone is entitled to post their opinion here. You have yours, Coral has theirs and it's just as valid as yours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Why are you posting on this thread if you are not even waiting for a refund from Crystal? This thread is about refunds from Crystal.

 

You are defending Crystal not processing refunds in a reasonable time on other Crystal threads too but you do not have any cancelled Crystal bookings (or ANY Crystal bookings?).

What is your motivation? It is your job?

You have 32,565 posts which averages 135 a month plus the time it takes following multiple threads  - sounds more like a job to me (for Crystal?) rather than a pastime.

 

I follow Crystal and have sailed Crystal. I am in the process of booking a Crystal cruise for next year. I have friends who are waiting for Crystal refunds who do not follow these boards.

 

I am just pointing out that Crystal is not alone. Other lines are having issues also. Some on this post make it sound like Crystal is the only line that is taking a very long time. This is not true. I completely agree that lines should refund quicker.

 

You sound a bit paranoid. Or have an unusual imagination. Maybe seek help as it is not normal to attack people's posts like this.

 

The Crystal board is known for being one of the friendliest boards on CC.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...