CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I just got a feedback from a friend of mine who works in a bank. (wont tell what bank it is due to safety reasons) but according to him all this refund "payments" go through a different protocol. It requires information collected from the cruise company which has to be later approved. I think it has something to do with tax policies 

That might be the case in the US, but is of no relevance to this thread.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

See my comment above. # 3225

Yes, just read it and sad to hear that, but unrelated to the issues our friends had, which related to a cancellation made at the start of the first batch, so months ago. They couldn’t get through to the TA on the phone and several emails to them were never answered. All the while, marketing emails continued to flow from the TA, which poured fuel on the flames. 

Contacted my TA by live chat on their website with no problem whatsoever regarding balance of my Oct cruise on QM2 which is due at end of June and the fact that Canada was closed until 31st July and P&O cancelling all cruises until 15th October was told to expect an announcement from Cunard imminently.

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Don't hold your breath there.

I heard earlier today that Bolsover were making staff redundancies.

It isnt rocket science to assume that many TA's and other companies throughout the UK will be making many redundancies in the near future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It isnt rocket science to assume that many TA's and other companies throughout the UK will be making many redundancies in the near future.

Having now gone back to work from furlough (basically swapped with someone else) I can now see even more clearly the strain on Travel Agents. I will not condone P&O's shambolic handling of the refund process though, as our team is reduced in staff due to furloughing, but they are still processing them in a methodical order, unlike P&O which appears to be totally random. However, we are then dependant on the speed that the supplier will move.

However, from a travel agents perspective, the stumbling blocks we come across when trying to contact airlines, hotels, car rental companies, Eurostar etc are in some cases huge.

Some scheduled airlines despite being covered by UK law as they depart or travel to the UK are flatly refusing to provide refunds. Each one has their own different process which is mind blowing.

Several airlines are nigh on impossible to contact even via  'dedicated' agents lines. Emails are not answered in a timely fashion.

1 major car rental company has basically closed all telephone lines used by travel agents and despite all the voice recognition software, eventually tell you to book online. However, due to the number of our clients that have specific contracts in place offering discounts and 'billback' processes that cannot be entered online means they are losing much of our business because car rental is on the increase due to the reluctance to travel on public transport.

Even hotels, if they are open, are only taking bookings for key workers and they themselves have reduced staff (yesterday I spoke to a lady who is normal the financial director for a chain, but is back on reception to help out!).

The latest survey implies that nearly 4 out of every 10 of us in the travel trade are considering a change of career because of the stress of working in this pressured environment. 

There will inevitably be redundancies if the market does not improve by the time the job retention scheme ends in October. So the longer quarantine processes are in place in countries around the world, preventing free travel movement and the infection rates do not diminish, the travel market will suffer with huge redundancies in the coming months. It is seen that the leisure market will suffer more than the business market, but it will still be in trouble as it will take a long time to come back to previous levels unlike the housing market which is already seeing an increase in momentum.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Having now gone back to work from furlough (basically swapped with someone else) I can now see even more clearly the strain on Travel Agents. I will not condone P&O's shambolic handling of the refund process though, as our team is reduced in staff due to furloughing, but they are still processing them in a methodical order, unlike P&O which appears to be totally random. However, we are then dependant on the speed that the supplier will move.

However, from a travel agents perspective, the stumbling blocks we come across when trying to contact airlines, hotels, car rental companies, Eurostar etc are in some cases huge.

Some scheduled airlines despite being covered by UK law as they depart or travel to the UK are flatly refusing to provide refunds. Each one has their own different process which is mind blowing.

Several airlines are nigh on impossible to contact even via  'dedicated' agents lines. Emails are not answered in a timely fashion.

1 major car rental company has basically closed all telephone lines used by travel agents and despite all the voice recognition software, eventually tell you to book online. However, due to the number of our clients that have specific contracts in place offering discounts and 'billback' processes that cannot be entered online means they are losing much of our business because car rental is on the increase due to the reluctance to travel on public transport.

Even hotels, if they are open, are only taking bookings for key workers and they themselves have reduced staff (yesterday I spoke to a lady who is normal the financial director for a chain, but is back on reception to help out!).

The latest survey implies that nearly 4 out of every 10 of us in the travel trade are considering a change of career because of the stress of working in this pressured environment. 

There will inevitably be redundancies if the market does not improve by the time the job retention scheme ends in October. So the longer quarantine processes are in place in countries around the world, preventing free travel movement and the infection rates do not diminish, the travel market will suffer with huge redundancies in the coming months. It is seen that the leisure market will suffer more than the business market, but it will still be in trouble as it will take a long time to come back to previous levels unlike the housing market which is already seeing an increase in momentum.

Lets hope it all picks up and you are not too affected Pete. 

I don't see many signs of a recession in most other industries, especially home improvements, people seem to be spending their holiday money on doing up their homes. 

I really feel for the travel industry. 

Andy 

• Like 4

Have just received a cheque with a full refund for our May 2nd Ventura cruise.

Claim sent in on April 6th so day 58. Thank you wonderful postie!

I know I should not feel grateful to get my own money back,but in a way I am.

Thanks to my excellent ta who has regularly phoned with updates and offers of help

No names allowed but martins money did a survey and they were highly praised.

I suppose you want my contribution to the new ship now Andy?

Viv

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twogreynomads said:

Thanks to my excellent ta who has regularly phoned with updates and offers of help

Viv

Congratulations,this is great news.

Day 81 for us and still nothing for us but really pleased to hear so many getting their refunds.

I personally wasn't stressed with the waiting at first but the daily checking of online banking and being disappointed is starting to get me down a bit. I appreciate many holiday providers are equally unfit to provide decent customer care at present but I now know for sure we will be spending a lot less with P&O because of this.

Next mission is to move Novembers deposit so will get on the phone for an hour or five after lunch.

7 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Day 81 for us and still nothing for us but really pleased to hear so many getting their refunds.

I personally wasn't stressed with the waiting at first but the daily checking of online banking and being disappointed is starting to get me down a bit. I appreciate many holiday providers are equally unfit to provide decent customer care at present but I now know for sure we will be spending a lot less with P&O because of this.

Next mission is to move Novembers deposit so will get on the phone for an hour or five after lunch.

Good luck and remind them you have waited 81 days the longest on cruise critic and ask them to escalate your refund again.

Greetings all,

If you break down our expected refund into 3 groups -

Deposit Paid

Balance of Cruise payment 

Shore experiences/Restaurant reservations

Then I have to claim success !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have today been informed that my £13.50 Restaurant reservation

for dinner on 22 March has now been cancelled and that they have applied

an On Board Credit at 110% of the value of the purchase.

I can, however, request a cash refund by completing the 'normal' form

(and wait another 60/90 days I assume!!!!!!!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, englebert said:

What a joke this is....however I can assure you that had you completed a form at the start instead of waiting for the £1.35 "bonus" (wow) it seems then you may still be waiting like I am.  

I wouldn't mind as much if there was consistent evidence that they were trying to refund cruise balances first, taking account of the fact that these are the most likely to impact customers.

However, you can guarantee that somebody is going to get the restaurant refund of £14.85 whilst the cabin next door is waiting on £1485.

By the time this is finished at this rate £14.85 will scarcely buy you a small glass of house wine 🍷... It's about one day's tip on an American line.

2 hours ago, Twogreynomads said:

Viv

Yes please Viv. 

I'm not sure they will do a postal order for 50p though... 

Congratulations, really pleased for you. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Fingers crossed for you Steve. 

You are right, it is just frustrating waiting for your own money... 

I now feel lucky mine arrived in 72 days.. 

Andy 

37 minutes ago, englebert said:

Greetings all,

If you break down our expected refund into 3 groups -

Deposit Paid

Balance of Cruise payment 

Shore experiences/Restaurant reservations

Then I have to claim success !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting for refunds

totalling over £150 for select dining reservations on Ionas maiden cruise. I opted for a refund and completed the online form on 31st March, so am now at day 65 although, in reality, it’s more like 90 days, as I had been trying to get them refunded for a month prior to the cruise being cancelled, but P&O were not allowing refunds, citing ‘technical problems’, which was clearly rubbish. As far as I can tell, nobody who opted for a refund of cruise Personaliser items has received their refund yet. Oddly, I got my two full cruise refunds at day 45, quicker than most but still 31 days beyond the legal requirement. 

Another interesting call with P&O, first attempt met with the sorry we are busy and got disconnected, second attempt I selected book a new cruise, got through within a minute!

As always very helpful member of staff, really cannot complain about the staff they have always given me good service.

Promise to escalate (again) and WHEN finance approve expect the refund in 7-10 days. So I will wait yet again, then if no luck will go a different route.

Moved this Novembers cruise to next November, same ship, same cabin, same itinerary just about £900 more! No doubt will move that again next year when the world gets back to a bit of normal.

Thank you fellow CC'ers for your support.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

On a separate note, I decided to check how the latest video was being received on the official P&O Cruises Facebook page. 

Not too much evidence of "rapidly" improving it seems - to quote his words...

All I can say is that their moderator will be busy!  

Yes, I had a scroll through some of the comments. The posters seem to fall into two categories - those that think the company can do no wrong, and will happily defend P&O to the ends of the earth,  and those that are waiting well over 60 days for their refunds. And the number waiting for refunds is vastly greater than the number of posters on this site.  It is also apparent that the majority waiting for refunds booked direct with P&O, thus refuting the argument that P&O were prioritising refunds to direct bookers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It is also apparent that the majority waiting for refunds booked direct with P&O, thus refuting the argument that P&O were prioritising refunds to direct bookers. 

I concur - it just adds to the overall assessment that there is no discernible logic to the refunding strategy whatsoever, and further that there is no guaranteed route to a time bound payment. 

I apologise for the misuse of the word "strategy!"

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I had a scroll through some of the comments. The posters seem to fall into two categories - those that think the company can do no wrong, and will happily defend P&O to the ends of the earth,  and those that are waiting well over 60 days for their refunds. And the number waiting for refunds is vastly greater than the number of posters on this site.  It is also apparent that the majority waiting for refunds booked direct with P&O, thus refuting the argument that P&O were prioritising refunds to direct bookers. 

I don’t think that they prioritised refunds for those of us who booked direct, it’s just that the process was simpler and therefore tended to be a bit quicker once the button was pressed. Money was in my account at 45 days and no cheques to faff about with or TA commission etc.  

15 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t think that they prioritised refunds for those of us who booked direct, it’s just that the process was simpler and therefore tended to be a bit quicker once the button was pressed. Money was in my account at 45 days and no cheques to faff about with or TA commission etc.  

Selbourne, I think a lot depends on how you made your payment initially. A lot of those dealing direct with P&O are receiving cheques. 

And, whilst there have been a few instances about TA commissions, these seem to have been few and far between.  Certainly the issue hasn't been raised here recently.

2 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

You can move the deposit yourself if you scroll down this page here until you get to Cruises after 16th October.

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy.

Getting concerned now ..... received my refunds (2 different cc) on 12th and 13th May ..... in full, for my direct booking. Today I have received an apology for the delay and telling me that my refund (correct amount and booking reference) has been processed!  I hope I am not going to be the next one to be refunded twice 😵!