Delay in drydocking wind this OCTOBER?

rosewood jo

Since the United States is # 1 in the world for infections ( not something you want to be # 1 at) ,  there might very well  be many countries unwilling to allow residents from the US to enter. Remember, early on, there were restrictions placed upon people from certain countries or for those who transitted certain countries. I'm not too optimistic for Americans at least. Maybe if you're from Australia or NZ.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have updated information about Silver Wind's scheduled 2020 refurbishment?  I know it was initially delayed due to pandemic, but haven't seen anything since then.  I'm booked on a June Southampton-Reykjavik cruise and am curious if it'll be an "old" or "new" version.  I've looked at some 2019 reviews that commented on how it was showing wear and really needed an update. 

Posted on another thread.

Break new waters with Silver Wind.

A major upgrade in December 2018 will saw Silver Wind looking better than ever. A second refurbishment in summer 2021 will see her benefitting from a strengthened to ice-class hull and will make her one of the most adaptable ships in our fleet. Still timelessly elegant, still luxuriously relaxed, her improved cruising versatility means she is able to whizz from the Polar Regions at the ends of the earth to the iconic ports of the Mediterranean with fluid ease. So whether you want to get up close and personal to penguins in Antarctica or laze on the golden sands of the Caribbean, get ready for a wealth of diverse destination experiences, in traditional Silversea comfort.

https://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-wind.html

• Like 1

@bl2sms Your trip is currently scheduled to be the first Silver Wind cruise in 15 months. It is scheduled to follow the dry-dock/retrofit. The Wind will cruise in the North Atlantic (Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Ireland) through September, when it heads south to Portugal and western Africa before crossing the south Atlantic to Rio, and then further south for the winter season in Antarctica. In order to do the Antarctica cruises, the dry dock will need to happen first, while the ship is in Europe in the spring. Whether that will happen, and whether cruising on the Wind will resume in June, is just impossible to predict at this point.

• 1 month later...

For those of us waiting to see if the Wind goes into dry dock this spring, there's no definitive news yet. But there was this news today that competitor Carnival Corp. is delaying 5 of 6 ships it was scheduled to take delivery of in 2021. That apparently includes Seabourn's expedition ship, Venture, which is now delayed for the second time. We'll still have to wait to see what Silversea/Royal Caribbean announces about their plans, but it's clear from Carnival's move that cruise lines are looking to preserve cash as the timeframe for the resumption of cruise keeps getting pushed back.

48 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Our friends just said that their September/ October London to Portugal cruise was canceled... 

Hi JP..........oh wow........I wonder if my Sept cruise will be cancelled..........

We had to decide whether to go to Antarctica in late Dec. '21 on the Cloud or the Wind (presuming they go then). Although the itinerary on the Wind is arguably better (includes South Georgia) we picked the Cloud since when we booked last September it appeared that the Wind drydock was very iffy. Interestingly, all staterooms on that Wind cruise are now shown as waitlisted--if that cruise is cancelled, at the enormous prices SS is charging for that cruise, that's a huge hit to SS all by itself.

I can't say that I am impressed with Silversea's communication on this. On 13th January there was an update to expected sailing dates showing that Silver Wind would not be sailing until November. The Tower Bridge to Lisbon sailing was also deleted from the website. However, I have heard nothing from Silversea to inform me of the cancellation and the cruise is still showing on My Silversea. I spoke to the travel agent today and they had heard nothing from Silversea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 4:09 PM, TheRampantSnail said:

I can't say that I am impressed with Silversea's communication on this. On 13th January there was an update to expected sailing dates showing that Silver Wind would not be sailing until November. The Tower Bridge to Lisbon sailing was also deleted from the website. However, I have heard nothing from Silversea to inform me of the cancellation and the cruise is still showing on My Silversea. I spoke to the travel agent today and they had heard nothing from Silversea.

..and still we have heard nothing from Silversea about the cancellation (should have added last time that the TB to Lisbon was September) and nor has the travel agent. And still My Silversea shows the booking, telling me it is 245 days to sailing. Is there actually any communications department at Silversea?

51 minutes ago, TheRampantSnail said:

..and still we have heard nothing from Silversea about the cancellation (should have added last time that the TB to Lisbon was September) and nor has the travel agent. And still My Silversea shows the booking, telling me it is 245 days to sailing. Is there actually any communications department at Silversea?

That is really weird; our friends who were presumably booked on this same trip with you heard on the 12th, when I posted. Your TA should probably call SS and check on this.

45 minutes ago, rosewood jo said:

Cruise mapper show silver wind in FRANCE STILL.   CANT TELL IF it’s on renovation  or just sitting at port in France????

She is just moored dockside along with several Silversea ships and not in one of the shipyards.  My guess is that the Wind is not going anywhere soon.   Whether or not they are doing interior work is hard to say but they certainly can’t do the bow conversion dockside.  

When they canceled the summer cruises for Wind, it was because the shipyard in Malta had been closed due to COVID and they needed to push the schedule back. Or because they wanted to conserve cash until closer to the time they could be sure of generating revenue.

So just to recap: the dry dock was originally scheduled for August 2020. It was pushed back to late winter/early spring 2021, and is now scheduled for sometime this summer.

The first scheduled cruise is November 20 from Buenos Aires -- so the dry dock would need to be completed by early November. The original schedule was for exactly two months in drydock, but if the shipyard is working with fewer people, it might take longer now. But we may not see the Wind move and head for Malta until August. Hopefully before then we'll have some idea whether the world is headed towards some degree of re-opening, and Silversea will communicate what the future holds. But since things are shifting month by month, I don't think we'll have any idea of whether the winter sailings of the Wind will happen for another 5 or 6 months.

39 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

When they canceled the summer cruises for Wind, it was because the shipyard in Malta had been closed due to COVID and they needed to push the schedule back. Or because they wanted to conserve cash until closer to the time they could be sure of generating revenue.

So just to recap: the dry dock was originally scheduled for August 2020. It was pushed back to late winter/early spring 2021, and is now scheduled for sometime this summer.

The first scheduled cruise is November 20 from Buenos Aires -- so the dry dock would need to be completed by early November. The original schedule was for exactly two months in drydock, but if the shipyard is working with fewer people, it might take longer now. But we may not see the Wind move and head for Malta until August. Hopefully before then we'll have some idea whether the world is headed towards some degree of re-opening, and Silversea will communicate what the future holds. But since things are shifting month by month, I don't think we'll have any idea of whether the winter sailings of the Wind will happen for another 5 or 6 months.

I’m not sure what exactly initially caused the delay of the Wind conversion.   The uncertainty of the ongoing pandemic and the impact on the whole cruise industry can’t be denied.   Industry wide ships are being sold, scraped, whole sub lines sold, and new builds put in warm layup or even delayed.   Recent announcements out of the Florida port authorities saying they don’t expect anything close to normal cruise activity in 2021  is not encouraging.  I realize Silversea is not a major player in the Caribbean season but they do have some presence but more importantly this speaks to the cruise industry as a whole.   

• 2 weeks later...