What are we doing about HAIRCUTS?!!!!!!

pcur

1 hour ago, purduemom1 said:

OMG, yes you have it right and they are really being selfish because with this virus those who choose to not protect themselves are also choosing to risk the health of others who come in contact with them. What about their children, parents, and other older friends and relatives etc?  I too have friends who aren’t as careful as they should be. Lots of excuses and attempts to justify their actions. Not quite as bad as your friends however. 

I can imagine how difficult it is to see those Instagram pictures but you do have it right and they don’t! I just keep telling myself this will be over someday.......

Sharon

The twats across the street from us had a birthday party for their daughter, with a bouncy house, AFTER schools had been shut down. Yes, people let their kids come. Some parents stayed and watched as their kids bounced and bumped into each other. The next week, the kid set up a lemonade stand! I have no idea if she had customers, as I left the front room. 

The kid and the kid next door to her ride their scooters in the neighborhood, but they've at least started wearing masks. They were also wearing masks while sharing a Slip-n-Slide a few weeks ago. The kid next door lives in a house where the adult kids and their friends come over frequently, in various combinations. 

Lois, yes it does seem like we can’t leave a doctor’s office without a new ailment to worry about. Who knew that this goes along with getting older🤦‍♀️. It does sound like you have a good doctor who is on top of things and wants to keep you healthy. Hang in there!

Sharon

• Like 1

MamaFej, I certainly hope none of those kids get the virus and the complications that they are seeing in some kids. They say it’s rare but as a parent, it’s our responsibility to protect our kids. Sounds like your neighbors lack common sense. 

• Like 1

Full disclosure: we have people over every day. My dear friend is post weight-loss surgery and is preparing for hip replacement surgery. She must exercise in a pool. If she doesn't, her body will not be ready for the next surgery. Her gym is closed, of course. The pool at her mother-in-law's condo is closed. She swims and walks laps in my pool each day. Her husband (who happens to be our travel agent) sits in a chair or stands at one end of the BBQ island and, when we go outside, we sit or stand about 10-12 feet away from him. They have keys to the back yard gate and to the pool over switch, and never come inside. 

It's nice to see other humans and have conversations, especially about travel, but we do not get close to each other. I look forward to the day I can hug them like I'm used to doing. Hopefully, we will cruise together again  in 2021.

• Like 1

Well, you are all outside and socially distancing. That doesn’t seem to be risky since there is lots of air circulation and all. Now the kids birthday party in a bounce house, that’s another matter all together. Hoping the four of you have many enjoyable cruises ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lois, I’m glad you’re able to do the pill instead of insulin, easier for you to regulate. Under active thyroid?  Yup, got one of those, it’s another pill. Colonoscopy is nothing, the prep is what’s miserable (hubby is having one today). It seems like your body decided that now you’re retired it can go on strike!  Mine sure did!  Stay well

just changing topics a little.  Our area opened hair salons yesterday.  Appointments only,

must wear masks, 15 minutes disinfecting between patrons.  It was pretty busy. 

I think I'll wait.

I've let my hair grow out and it's now almost white.  Actually a nice color, but white hair always makes you look older.

WHILE WATCHING TV i THOUGHT, WHAT IF I DYE IT PINK????

I'm at home most of the time.  When I go out I'm in sunglasses and a mask, so no one really knows it's me.  It might lift my spirits a little, it'll grow out and when I'm ready to go to the hairdresser, I'll just have it cut off.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I'm at home most of the time.  When I go out I'm in sunglasses and a mask, so no one really knows it's me.  It might lift my spirits a little, it'll grow out and when I'm ready to go to the hairdresser, I'll just have it cut off.

Thoughts?

I think pink hair would be fun! My kids have done some wild colors over the years. My 51 year-old friend has bright teal hair right now. 

It's just hair, it grows out. Why not have some fun with it? If you don't like it, you're not stuck with it.

Re: colonoscopies, I had to start them 10 years ago, at 43, due to family history. I had heard the prep was rough. What I hadn't been told was how cold I would get. A warm top and a backwards bathrobe are helpful. You're putting cold liquid into your body, and after a while, it goes straight through. 

Hubby was supposed to have his first one, and got a call canceling about 10 hours before starting prep. I'm due again next month, but I don't know when they will start up again for asymptomatic folks around here. Hubby has no family history and no symptoms. My past ones have been "clean as a whistle" and I have no symptoms, so I'm not concerned. 

• Like 2

Hubs has had colon cancer (Found in a regular colonoscopy) 4 years ago. We’re now in the wait again for biopsy results. He started having colonoscopies at 35 (he’s 71 now). 

I’m scheduled June 8 for hiatal & ventral wall hernia surgery, 6-7 hour surgery (likely 4 days in hospital). If I didn’t need to have it done I’d postpone, but it’s moved up into my chest cavity causing breathing issues. It is what it is.  I know I’ll feel better after. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mafig said:

just changing topics a little.  Our area opened hair salons yesterday.  Appointments only,

I think I'll wait.

I've let my hair grow out and it's now almost white.  Actually a nice color, but white hair always makes you look older.

Thoughts?

Thumbs up!!  There was a lovely (and lively) British woman I met on my visit to Naples in February. She didn't do all of her hair but had a several large swathes of pink -- it looked great on her.

• Like 1

I know you're supposed to get a colonoscopy at age 50 but no doctor ever mentioned it to me until I was 60.  He nagged me about it for about a year and then I relented and had it done.   It was really pretty easy.  Then DH had it done too.  Easy for him too.  It's so easy that we both thought, "wonder if they really did anything."

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thumbs up!!  There was a lovely (and lively) British woman I met on my visit to Naples in February. She didn't do all of her hair but had a several large swathes of pink -- it looked great on her.

I mentioned it to my husband a couple of days ago and he said I think you should do it.

Today, he asked me AGAIN "when are you going PINK??"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,  The Dr gave me 2 different pills.....one for the swelling in my feet and hoping it works. That is a short

term thing.

He did give me another pill I can start taking instead of having to do the shot thing.....lets hope it works.

Brand name would be called Actos or Oseni.  The medical term is long...…...Pioglitazone,

He also said my Thyroid is Underactive...………..tomorrow I am going for an Ultrasound.  

If it not one thing...……..:classic_rolleyes:

Yes, getting old is a b!tch.  It takes awhile to find the right stuff.  That's why I'm now doing metformin and now Jardiance with it.   I think I've found one of the side effects:  I'm feeling dehydrated - drinking much more water than normal and I still feel dehydrated.  I can't be far away from a bathroom right now!  But, better than the 3 week diarrhea I had with my "bronchitis" this winter (why I think it may have been COVID-19). 😮

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mafig said:

I think I'll wait.

Thoughts?

Yes!

I'm tempted to try that too. 

Our hair salons are not open yet, but they may be re-opening in a few weeks.  I have fine, thin hair, and for the last few years, got it cut every 5 or 6 weeks.  Well, I haven't had it cut since February (except when I trimmed the back of neck a few weeks ago) and I think I may let it go a while longer even after my hair salon opens.  I may try dying it too.  Not pink for me, maybe turquoise.  After all, it's only hair.  It'll grow out.  It's not like getting a tattoo.😉

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I'm so sorry about the bobsled kid,  that's horrible....  & so sad.    & yes this little group is great,  I'm finding it tough because my usual "real world' group of friends.. well, a lot of them are doing exactly what you're not supposed to be doing,  in home wine tasting, shopping together, parties at houses... & I'm the jerk who says no to everything lol.... hard to see their instagram pics of everyone at a pool party or at the now reopened country club drinking wine together....  oh well, we have this right?   

On topic:  I'm wearing a blue & white batik print beach coverup today...  washed hair last night, & it's long, wild & wavy... going for the hermione grainger look, but without the frizz lol..

You are doing the right thing.  Your "friends" are taking the risks.  Stay strong.   It's like the other week - some parents in Pasadena, CA had a birthday party for their kid.  Now, some from the party have tested positive.  You can't count on your friends and neighbors to be negative...

On hair:  I find that more European women past age 30 like to put some fun color in their hair.  Every time I go over there, I just like to see all the differences.  For awhile, back in the early 2000s, there was a trend toward a reddish orange all over - if they went hunting, they wouldn't have to wear blaze orange hats!!!   I can't do any fun stuff like that while I work - hair has to always look "natural" everywhere I've worked.  But, when I fully retire, I can definitely see some colored stripes coming into my hair.  Maybe a defiant Rock Star Red stripe at the front.  Maybe an under coat color of a purple.  I already dress pretty "old hippie/boho", so why not go all the way???   My latest boho look:  the midi patchwork skirt from the Sundance Catalog, white T, and my denim jacket, and cowboy booties.  I just have to wait for the World to open to have someplace to wear it!!!

On topic:  I'm wearing my Code Cracker tropical cropped leggings today with a grey long sleeve T-shirt I bought last fall in Zion National Park.  IF I go out today (a huge IF), I will add neon yellow WrightSocks with my yellow trusty trail runners.  Today's hair style will be ponytail accented on top with a baseball had in faded red from the Hell's Backbone Grill (in the running for a James Beard Award this year).  I was supposed to have a dinner there this Spring on my "end of ski season" roadtrip, but alas, COVID changed those plans.  So, I ordered from them a gift certificate to help them out with finances right now and got the hat with it.  I'll be using the gift certificate this Fall.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mafig said:

I think I'll wait.

!

Thoughts?

On the salon thing:  If you are comfortable with your stylist and it's not a big salon, go for it.  Wearing a mask wasn't a big deal, even with coloring (see my photo upthread).  

If you want to try a color, go to your local drug store or supermarket and find some temporary spray-on color!  Grab a piece of hair and go for it!!!

7 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Yes!

I'm tempted to try that too. 

Our hair salons are not open yet, but they may be re-opening in a few weeks.  I have fine, thin hair, and for the last few years, got it cut every 5 or 6 weeks.  Well, I haven't had it cut since February (except when I trimmed the back of neck a few weeks ago) and I think I may let it go a while longer even after my hair salon opens.  I may try dying it too.  Not pink for me, maybe turquoise.  After all, it's only hair.  It'll grow out.  It's not like getting a tattoo.😉

I have fine, thin hair too.  And like I mentioned before it's grown out to almost white.  

I've colored it for years, so I know because it's fine, and thin it'll grab the color easily.

Just an aside.  I remember when I was in my 20s I colored my hair (then too) a light grey color (sort of Marilyn Monroe yyy).

One time an older man came up to me and started yelling  "why have you colored your hair that color?  You'll be that color soon enough when you're old."  

Perhaps he was right.  LOL

• Haha 1

to Lois R:  Don't buy any clothes right now.  If you are like most of us with a new type 2 diagnosis, do not be surprised if you lose weight, and do it rather fast.   For me, inside of like 3 months, my pant size went from a 14 to a 10 without really doing anything but eating more food for breakfast and lunch that weren't pure carbs!!! And, it has stayed that way, except for the maybe 5 lbs that I've added because I've been sitting on my butt, watching TV and eating junk food lately!!   Now, if I could get my bust to lose some of that, I could maybe wear more 14s instead of 16s...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

to Lois R:  Don't buy any clothes right now.  If you are like most of us with a new type 2 diagnosis, do not be surprised if you lose weight, and do it rather fast.   For me, inside of like 3 months, my pant size went from a 14 to a 10 without really doing anything but eating more food for breakfast and lunch that weren't pure carbs!!! And, it has stayed that way, except for the maybe 5 lbs that I've added because I've been sitting on my butt, watching TV and eating junk food lately!!   Now, if I could get my bust to lose some of that, I could maybe wear more 14s instead of 16s...

Hi, thanks for the tip. To be totally honest with you, I have no desire to buy clothes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

My husband is a lefty. I bought him a gift by way of ordering some left-handed household scissors. Well, time marched on and my hair was growing longer. We went through a heat wave that caused me to perspire through the night that led to an infection along the nape of my neck. It was itching and burning and was just awful! 

One morning I stomped down the stairs after my shower and told him to cut a straight line across my hair at my neck. No more hair curling against my neck and driving me crazy! Then I used cuticle scissors to chop the sides. Here's the result.

Oh, and I called my doctor, who prescribed something for what she called a yeast infection, and my head is happy again!

20200512_114932.jpg

That looks great!

I just gave myself my 3rd haircut since this thread started. Still socially acceptable. I suck at selfies.

C524470D-DC52-4970-9F0C-51ECC6E5ECBE.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 8:09 PM, MamaFej said:

Full disclosure: we have people over every day. My dear friend is post weight-loss surgery and is preparing for hip replacement surgery. She must exercise in a pool. If she doesn't, her body will not be ready for the next surgery. Her gym is closed, of course. The pool at her mother-in-law's condo is closed. She swims and walks laps in my pool each day. Her husband (who happens to be our travel agent) sits in a chair or stands at one end of the BBQ island and, when we go outside, we sit or stand about 10-12 feet away from him. They have keys to the back yard gate and to the pool over switch, and never come inside. 

It's nice to see other humans and have conversations, especially about travel, but we do not get close to each other. I look forward to the day I can hug them like I'm used to doing. Hopefully, we will cruise together again  in 2021.

From what I understand, what you're doing is considered pretty safe...  outside, that far apart from one another...  it seems to be the close contact, especially indoors that's the problem...  gotta keep our mouth rain off one another lol :)  & my gosh, I want to hug my grandkids & play with them so badly...  but this too shall pass 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the tip. To be totally honest with you, I have no desire to buy clothes.

Hang in there Lois, it seems like you're having an overwhelming number of things thrown at you...  things will get better for all of us & I think you'll come out the other side healthier than ever....& low thyroid can definitely lead to listlessness so I bet once they get you on a proper dosage, you're going to feel amazing.

BTW, they have extended our stay home order to sometime in August....  that's right, August.  (L.A.  County only)  they are saying there will be some modifications along the way, but well, apparently there went our summer.  

Take care everyone!  & good job on those haircuts... one day I'll get the nerve to post what my hair's current situation is.