Suspension or Cancellation

Johartrog

Our cruise in May has been "suspended" and a credit has been offered. Is this a way the cruise company is avoiding paying a refund by not "cancelling"? We would prefer a refund at this stage although we are very happy with the cruise company and will book again at some time. They are saying cancelling will be under normal T&Cs which means we could lose our deposit. It is quite evident that the cruise will not take place but we can't go anyway as we are over 70 and vulnerable etc but certainly can't afford to lose a substantial deposit.  Any advice appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, Johartrog said:

Our cruise in May has been "suspended" and a credit has been offered. Is this a way the cruise company is avoiding paying a refund by not "cancelling"? We would prefer a refund at this stage although we are very happy with the cruise company and will book again at some time. They are saying cancelling will be under normal T&Cs which means we could lose our deposit. It is quite evident that the cruise will not take place but we can't go anyway as we are over 70 and vulnerable etc but certainly can't afford to lose a substantial deposit.  Any advice appreciated. 

Emerald Waterways have “suspended” my June Danube cruise and have offered me a future cruise credit. I told Emerald, via my travel agent, you have cancelled my cruise and I expect a full refund.

• Like 1

Essentially the same for a "Grand France" two-week river cruise we had booked for June 2020.  Uniworld and our travel agent pushed it to May 2021 at which time we will be in our late 70s.  Under current CLIA guidance we may not be permitted to cruise at that age.  Working now with both Uniworld and the TA to cancel.  Uniworld is being cooperative and in fact supportive.  My TA has become very challenging to even contact.  We have about $19K invested, fully paid since final payment came and went during the early outbreak of COVID-19 in the US.  Even with a 20 percent penalty getting the money back is more important that waiting to see what will happen in 2021.  Note that American Airlines was very cooperative and refunded the whole airfare back to the credit card.  Concern, of course, is that river cruising (all cruising) will restart in 2021 at a reduced level and cruise lines may not afford refunds or cancel them within a financial restructuring.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

8 hours ago, coevan said:

My T.A. says let them cancel and you will have better options. Ama also offered 115% FCC. Our cruise is July 20 and final payment is due May 20. We will wait and see if we know more.

Yes you should wait until the cruise line cancels.

This topic is from people who have had their cruise cancelled by the cruise line, or as the cruise lines like to call it “suspension”.

Edited by YORKI1

Thanks for your responses. Our cruise is 26 days away so I am getting anxious that they won't formally cancel the cruise and

that means any cancellation on my part will bring the loss of deposit into play. Our strategy was to wait for cancellation but

it is looking less likely by the day. 

1 hour ago, Johartrog said:

Thanks for your responses. Our cruise is 26 days away so I am getting anxious that they won't formally cancel the cruise and

that means any cancellation on my part will bring the loss of deposit into play. Our strategy was to wait for cancellation but

it is looking less likely by the day. 

Johartrog,

Who are you sailing with? 

Did you book direct or via a travel agent?

15 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

AMA cancelled my May sailing.  We elected to go with 115%FCC.  We will look to book something for May 2021

...and hope they are still in business or at least have a decent selection of cruises to select from.  I expect schedules to be limited as companies restart operations, countries/cities leery of cruises, and interest in cruising to be significantly less than kit was pre-virus crisis.

We appear to be caught in the middle between "suspension" and "cancellation," caused by the travel agent.

Reference post #3 above.  While Uniworld was willing to cancel per phoncon, our TA apparently talked them into giving us partial money back and partial FCC.  We can live with that despite our ages (late 70s) and the prospect of being told we cannot cruise anymore.  However, in delving into the finances it appears the sole reason for not cancelling outright is that the TA loses its share/commission of the fare.  In our case that is about $2,000.  The TA appears to not be representing our interests fairly and more concerned with their own interest and viability.  Unethical at best.  Fraud at worst.  Still contemplating what to do about this...

• Like 1

Ride-The-Waves, I understand what you are saying.  I see change coming to the entire travel industry; not just ships/boats; but also planes, trains, hotels etc.  Will river cruise lines have a smaller selection of trips;  I would say possibly in the short term; then once they get past the hump; they should go back to full operations.  

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We appear to be caught in the middle between "suspension" and "cancellation," caused by the travel agent.

Reference post #3 above.  While Uniworld was willing to cancel per phoncon, our TA apparently talked them into giving us partial money back and partial FCC.  We can live with that despite our ages (late 70s) and the prospect of being told we cannot cruise anymore.  However, in delving into the finances it appears the sole reason for not cancelling outright is that the TA loses its share/commission of the fare.  In our case that is about $2,000.  The TA appears to not be representing our interests fairly and more concerned with their own interest and viability.  Unethical at best.  Fraud at worst.  Still contemplating what to do about this...

I think unless you booked directly; all travel agents will try and get people to accept FCC; so they won't lose their comission; however, my travel agent gave me a choice; he said either way was fine with him.  

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I think unless you booked directly; all travel agents will try and get people to accept FCC; so they won't lose their comission; however, my travel agent gave me a choice; he said either way was fine with him.  

I would hope most travel agents would do what is best for their client (and give them all options available). A happy client is a returning client and they will eventually get that commission anyway in the future on a future trip. 

29 minutes ago, Johartrog said:

My cruise company is Scenic and I booked direct.  So far I have only had emails from them. I think a phone call is now due.

If you want a refund that is what you should ask for.

Johartrog, Please report back and let us know the outcome.  We also had a Scenic cruise booked and have been told they will only offer a 110% FCC, and no refunds unless you wait until Dec. 2022.  The 110% FCC is really not 10% extra, because they have raised the price for the same category and even with the discount it will cost us $300 more. 

8 hours ago, Coral said:

Doesn't the British Government have protection that would allow a refund if it is a travel advisory to the destination? I thought I read this earlier.

Yes. It is called ABTA or ATOL protection, it covers most package holidays, although not all bookings are covered. Sadly many holiday providers are trying to ignore the rules at the moment by insisting people accept FCC, when they are entitled to a refund. I am having the same problem.

7 hours ago, texasstar said:

Johartrog, Please report back and let us know the outcome.  We also had a Scenic cruise booked and have been told they will only offer a 110% FCC, and no refunds unless you wait until Dec. 2022.  The 110% FCC is really not 10% extra, because they have raised the price for the same category and even with the discount it will cost us $300 more. 

If you are entitled to a refund ask for one.

23 hours ago, AF-1 said:

This link is for AMAWaterways.  The article gives anyone who sails with them; some sense of hope that this company will be in business after the pandemic crisis is over.  

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/europe-could-be-cruising-july-us-big-unknown-amawaterways-schreiner

I think a June/July return to operations is very optimistic.  Countries like France and Italy have been hit very hard and are essentially "closed" to tourism.  Germany is in better prepared but has enacted very strict social distancing rules, etc.  That said, river cruising is likely to restart before ocean cruising  as many countries (and their cities) are just not ready to accept port visits by ocean cruise ships.  Hopefully some river cruising will be available in the Fall and for the Holiday Markets season.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:37 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Under current CLIA guidance we may not be permitted to cruise at that age.  

I may be mistaken about this, but I thought the CLIA guidance was something they worked out with the US CDC.  Does it apply to river cruise lines not operating in the US?

Are you concerned about your age or your health?  Are you saying you wouldn't be able to get clearance from your doctor?   ri

If river cruise lines enforce the 70 and over rule, they're sunk (no pun intended).