Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Trevor33

Princess Grill or Queens Grill ?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

 

Precisely, so not worth paying extra for. A long thin dark space, with a narrow balcony. May as well have a Britannia, unless you especially want a bath.

Mmmmmm the food in Britannia is so wonderful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

 

Precisely, so not worth paying extra for. A long thin dark space, with a narrow balcony. May as well have a Britannia, unless you especially want a bath.

 

But Hideous? 

 

And you did say...

"I would go QG on the Vistas because of the hideous shape of PG cabins..."

 

...but now talking 'about paying extra'.

 

Of course you don't only get the stateroom or have we forgotten that?

 

😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have only ever cruised once in QG on QE in  a Q6 grade cabin in 2017 and since that date the prices of QG have increased substantially. We paid £2700 after TA discount for 12 nt Canaries cruise and even though the food was excellent do not think it is worth the extra money. Size of suite is no big deal for us and not all that important to us because we dont go on cruises to sit in suite all day and as far as butler service goes certainly wants revamping because our was not very good. Being our first time we werent 100% clear about what we could do or have and was never explained to us by him and we very rarely saw him. The only way we would go in QG again is if it was a free upgrade from PG and thought the PG restaurant on QE was far nicer and less crowded than QG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

 

But Hideous? 

 

And you did say...

"I would go QG on the Vistas because of the hideous shape of PG cabins..."

 

...but now talking 'about paying extra'.

 

Of course you don't only get the stateroom or have we forgotten that?

 

😁😁

 

First of all I am not plural, or even that large, so I can't imagine why you use a plural pronoun apparently to refer to me.

 

No, of course it's not just the cabin, but I have enjoyed dining in Britannia Club as much as PG, though not as much as QG. I spend a lot of time in my cabin and am quite claustrophobic, so to me those PGs are a pretty nasty shape, though hideous was perhaps a whimsical exaggeration, but the Britannia cabins are in some ways nicer because you seem to get more evidence of the outside light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

 

First of all I am not plural, or even that large, so I can't imagine why you use a plural pronoun apparently to refer to me.

 

No, of course it's not just the cabin, but I have enjoyed dining in Britannia Club as much as PG, though not as much as QG. I spend a lot of time in my cabin and am quite claustrophobic, so to me those PGs are a pretty nasty shape, though hideous was perhaps a whimsical exaggeration, but the Britannia cabins are in some ways nicer because you seem to get more evidence of the outside light.

exlondoner,

I agree if the photos posted are real the product.

 

Club Britannia cabins are really lit. The bed and desk/couch area are well lit by the Sliding Door.

 

I think we wouldn't feel comfortable in a bed in that location, void of direct light an advantage of Club Britannia.

Those areas get direct light from the Balcony and delightful on a Sunny Morning to awake too and ocean view 

thru the doors. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

 

Precisely, so not worth paying extra for. A long thin dark space, with a narrow balcony. May as well have a Britannia, unless you especially want a bath.

 

After having enjoyed the PG staterooms on the QM2 a few times, it was a disappointment having one of these glorified Britannia rooms. I knew what we were getting so it was not a surprise and, as I have said before, we enjoyed the restaurants, lounge and deck space on the QE more than those on the QM2.  I have never known a perfect ship and I'm sure I never will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having not sailed PG since QE2 I’ve been avoiding this thread as I have nothing relevant to contribute. But since others have already mentioned Britannia Club I’l now chip in my tuppence worth.

 

Aside from the cabin, I have to say that our restaurant experience in Britannia Club on QE outshone our QG experiences on both QV and QM2 in both the food and service departments. Maybe we were lucky (or unlucky - or both)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Aside from the cabin, I have to say that our restaurant experience in Britannia Club on QE outshone our QG experiences on both QV and QM2 in both the food and service departments. Maybe we were lucky (or unlucky - or both)!

 

Interesting. We have done a couple of crossings in QG.  Service and cabin were great, but the food was underwhelming so we are eager to try BC at the first opportunity.  BC on QM2 looks really lovely so we are eager to see what the service/food combo (and indeed the cabin) is like.  Our BC trip was to be a TA to Hamburg this July, but alas, that crossing looks to be canceled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, why are drinks not included for PG & QG?  Crystal & other luxury lines offer it included, as well as all gratuities, and special dining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

By the way, why are drinks not included for PG & QG?  Crystal & other luxury lines offer it included, as well as all gratuities, and special dining. 

 

I suppose because it's Cunard and not one of those luxury lines, and that is how they decided to do things. According to other threads I have seen, for those booking QG in the US, drinks are often included. Occasionally in the UK as well, very occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

 

I suppose because it's Cunard and not one of those luxury lines, and that is how they decided to do things. According to other threads I have seen, for those booking QG in the US, drinks are often included. Occasionally in the UK as well, very occasionally.


NO Cunard QG is definitely not like any luxury line we’ve been on.

You are on a. Mass-market ship at luxury prices even while in a suite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, david,Mississauga said:

 

After having enjoyed the PG staterooms on the QM2 a few times, it was a disappointment having one of these glorified Britannia rooms. I knew what we were getting so it was not a surprise and, as I have said before, we enjoyed the restaurants, lounge and deck space on the QE more than those on the QM2.  I have never known a perfect ship and I'm sure I never will.

 

As near as I have got...

 

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/04/07/europa-2-asian-island-explorer/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've occupied  a Britannia Club stateroom on three occasions.

 

For the record this was 12055 on Queen Mary 2...

 

2051765991_BritanniaClub12055.jpg.35c394f9b0719c9ac0d7f59792ac5388.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I've occupied  a Britannia Club stateroom on three occasions.

 

For the record this was 12055 on Queen Mary 2...

 

2051765991_BritanniaClub12055.jpg.35c394f9b0719c9ac0d7f59792ac5388.jpg

It seems so popular I wonder if it will (would?) be expanded further for the new ship. Something like the Caronia restaurant tier on QE2, where it was a single sitting with open times, but on a larger scale. Perhaps that would ruin the experience? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

It seems so popular I wonder if it will (would?) be expanded further for the new ship. Something like the Caronia restaurant tier on QE2, where it was a single sitting with open times, but on a larger scale. Perhaps that would ruin the experience? 

 

That's really good point. The Caronia dining room on QE2 was originally the first class dining room, prior to the installation of the two Grills restaurants.  Seems Cunard is heading back in that direction (of having a one sitting dining room) albeit slowly.  Pity there is currently no difference between BC cabins and the regular Britannia grade balcony cabins, but as you point out this could be an opportunity on the new ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Pity there is currently no difference between BC cabins and the regular Britannia grade balcony cabins, but as you point out this could be an opportunity on the new ship.

The only difference btw the Britannia Class on the ship and the Club Britannia located on Deck 12 is the new additions to Deck 13 Forward is those cabins have Glass Shower Doors not Curtains. And the Balcony Doors are Patio Sliding Doors and not the Open Into Room Doors.

 

We experienced Deck 13 on the last sailing. Beautiful additions which we would hope the rest of the Club Britannia Class on 12 would be refitted in the future for all Club passengers to benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We experienced Deck 13 on the last sailing. Beautiful additions which we would hope the rest of the Club Britannia Class on 12 would be refitted in the future for all Club passengers to benefit.

 

Thanks for making these points. Were there any noise issues in Deck 13 cabins from the open air deck above?

 

I know my question above is a bit OT, but this thread is a fascinating discussion of the cannibalization between the QG/PG and BC (and the relative merits of the three offerings), the occurrence of which I have always wondered about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think certain things have got better or worse when they have returned to either of the Grills?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Thanks for making these points. Were there any noise issues in Deck 13 cabins from the open air deck above?

I know my question above is a bit OT, but this thread is a fascinating discussion of the cannibalization between the QG/PG and BC (and the relative merits of the three offerings), the occurrence of which I have always wondered about.

ClipperinSFO,

First, pls stay safe in Big Cal these days!

 

When we were assigned the cabin we too had concerns about the location since we were about two cabins away from the bridge but also with the new observation walkway above. Yes during certain times of the sailing ( especially ports-of-call ) passengers do gather there but we did not detect any noise to disturb us.

 

As said before, if the opportunity ever warranted our experiencing Princess Grill than we would have the opportunity to compare the two. We did in the past experience Princess Grill but on the Queen Elizabeth 2. As said many times, it up to personal opinion the prefer of restaurant class selected. On the QM2, Caronia or QE2, we have never disappointed with our meals...

 

1 hour ago, Trevor33 said:

The Topic is about the difference between the Princess Grill and the Queens Grill and not the Britannia based Club where you get the same Britannia mass catering food dished up in a smaller restaurant.

Trevor33,

Unfortunately as a fellow Cruise Critic, IOHO...we do not politely and respectfully agree with you about the Mass Catering food served in the Class Britannia Restaurant. We have several times enjoyed our experiences with the food served and enjoyed offerings off the Pre-Grill ALa Carte menu. Also offerings served by Table side Flambe's by our professional Maitre D'..

Edited by BklynBoy8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Approximately 80% on board eat Britannia food whether at one of two sittings or on flexible dining in the smaller "Club" restaurant. There is an odd side and an odd crepe after but fundamentally it is Britannia food out of the same Galley.  As the main menu is provided to approx 1,800 people(assuming 2000 on whole ship)whether first or second sitting or flexible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Princess Grill and Queens Grill improved or changed over the years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Trevor33 said:

Approximately 80% on board eat Britannia food whether at one of two sittings or on flexible dining in the smaller "Club" restaurant. There is an odd side and an odd crepe after but fundamentally it is Britannia food out of the same Galley.  As the main menu is provided to approx 1,800 people(assuming 2000 on whole ship)whether first or second sitting or flexible. 

Respectfully, to each is own......Have a Happy Future Sailing....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

Has Princess Grill and Queens Grill improved or changed over the years?

A lot of people say the experience today isn’t as special as in the late QE2 era. I can’t comment on that myself, but I can say I found modern QG to be everything I could have wanted in a shipboard experience and more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

A lot of people say the experience today isn’t as special as in the late QE2 era. I can’t comment on that myself, but I can say I found modern QG to be everything I could have wanted in a shipboard experience and more. 

 

I can speak from experience as I have sailed all three current Cunard ships and TWO no longer with us.

 

The experience of course is subjective but certainly the Grills food on QE2 was superior. However, due to the ship's age I'd say the ambiance, and certainly the quality of accommodation, has improved relatively more so.

 

1307217052_QE2enteringCapetownSolentRichard.thumb.jpg.827bf4d35412b13cfd9bd6ac6a9ca245.jpg

 

In those days even arrivals at ports were more civilised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

A lot of people say the experience today isn’t as special as in the late QE2 era. I can’t comment on that myself, but I can say I found modern QG to be everything I could have wanted in a shipboard experience and more. 

 

Looking at QE2 QG menus from the 2000s, they are not so different from now. Many of the same dishes survive. Which for some may be a minus rather than a plus.😀

 

As to food quality, it is hard to say. The quality of ingredients seems much the same, while the quality of actual dishes depends on the chef. My companion had tough roast lamb for lunch for the first time ever in September, which I don't see as a sign of falling standards, merely a chef who is incompetent at cooking lamb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...