Is now a bad time to book for next year?

Is now a bad time to book for March/April next year?

I usually always have a holiday booked for in 12 months time but with all this uncertainty I'm not sure if to book. 

Do we think RCCL will still be around this time next year 😞

Hope everyone is keeping safe too x

Prices seem to be trending higher right now.  I've been checking my prices for cruise Dec 20 April 21 Aug 21 and Feb 22

Dec 20 has gone down but both cruises in 21 are higher. Feb 22 is about the same.

My suspicion is that all the FCC are driving prices for 2021 right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dltaeg said:

I usually always have a holiday booked for in 12 months time but with all this uncertainty I'm not sure if to book. 

I wouldn't book now, too much uncertainty.  Also make sure you look at the doctor note that is required if you are 70 or over.  Also, if you are under 70 with a medical condition, you can't currently sail, so that is something to consider too.

Personally I booked now (a couple days ago actually) because once all the FCCs get processed and people start booking in bulk I'm expecting prices to go up. I'm locked in now, so if prices go up I'm good, if they go down I can reprice. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I wouldn't book now, too much uncertainty.  Also make sure you look at the doctor note that is required if you are 70 or over.  Also, if you are under 70 with a medical condition, you can't currently sail, so that is something to consider too.

We are a young family so don't need to worry about doctors notes, we usually try and book early to get connecting rooms. We are worried about airlines collapsing too but the thought of not having a holiday booked for next year is awful 🤣

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dltaeg said:

Wouldn’t you be covered under ABTA in the event of a cruise line failure. 

3 minutes ago, dltaeg said:

We are a young family so don't need to worry about doctors notes, we usually try and book early to get connecting rooms. We are worried about airlines collapsing too but the thought of not having a holiday booked for next year is awful 🤣

We booked about two weeks ago for next March on Oasis! The travel agent seemed surprised we were booking 😂 we got a balcony on Oasis for about as cheap as we've ever paid that I can remember! 

11 minutes ago, dltaeg said:

As long as you are a young, healthy family, then I might book.  If anyone has diabetes or asthma, sailing right now is a no go.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Also, if you are under 70 with a medical condition, you can't currently sail, so that is something to consider too.

How's that? I thought only 70 and over needed a note from doctor?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

How's that? I thought only 70 and over needed a note from doctor?

Nope, under 70 with chronic medical conditions (they list about 4) not allowed to sail regardless of what a Drs note states 

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

57 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

With all of these medical restrictions who's going to fill the ships. I have had hypertension since I was 38. Are they looking to bankrupt the cruise lines?  I also wish those who were able to get cash back would have taken that. With all of the FCC's there is no reason to drop price. If the FCC's expire for someone waiting for a good price they win. If it costs you twice the amount of the FCC's they win. From what I have been reading 125% isn't enough unless maybe if you wait until after final payment. That's not always easy to do if you are working and you have kids in school.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

With all of these medical restrictions who's going to fill the ships. I have had hypertension since I was 38. Are they looking to bankrupt the cruise lines?  I also wish those who were able to get cash back would have taken that. With all of the FCC's there is no reason to drop price. If the FCC's expire for someone waiting for a good price they win. If it costs you twice the amount of the FCC's they win. From what I have been reading 125% isn't enough unless maybe if you wait until after final payment. That's not always easy to do if you are working and you have kids in school.

Time will tell.  We won't be sailing until the policy changes.

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope, under 70 with chronic medical conditions (they list about 4) not allowed to sail regardless of what a Drs note states 

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

My son who is 24 has a kidney disease. It doesn't affect his life but it's a disease nonetheless.  HIV/ AIDS, Diabetes and Cancer. Unfortunately many fall into this category. Better leave those CPAP machines at home. This group could be next.

I have 18 cruises booked right now.  Today, 3 of my early 2021 cruises went down.  We are going to go on as normal.  I don't believe the over 70 doctors note is going to last long as Royal, as well as other cruise lines, would lose 1/3 to 1/2 their cruise passengers if it stays in place.  Just don't see that happening.

8 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I have 18 cruises booked right now.  Today, 3 of my early 2021 cruises went down.  We are going to go on as normal.  I don't believe the over 70 doctors note is going to last long as Royal, as well as other cruise lines, would lose 1/3 to 1/2 their cruise passengers if it stays in place.  Just don't see that happening.

I totally agree.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I think you are right. I'm pushing 60 but 10yrs goes pretty fast.

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

Just curious, how would the cruise line know if you have a pre-existing condition?  Do they expect people to report it?  I think there would be a lot of lying.

That's what I think. 

Like the current health screening questionnaire, you just know people lied to get to board that had colds. I've caught a cold and know others who have too. People boarded and lied rather than losing their money.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They is no way of them knowing at the check-in counter who would have any of the above issues, going to be very hard to enforce that.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

That's what I think. 

Like the current health screening questionnaire, you just know people lied to get to board that had colds. I've caught a cold and know others who have too. People boarded and lied rather than losing their money.

Exactly what I thought.

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

They is no way of them knowing at the check-in counter who would have any of the above issues, going to be very hard to enforce that.

Let’s see, insulin and syringes are a couple giveaways.  They could also start checking medications, some of those would also be a giveaway.

Very arrogant and selfish  "I can do what I want, don't need to follow the rules" attitude. So a cruiser lies at check in, lies to get on board, gets deathly ill on board mid cruise (forgot/lost medication, many other ways etc)... who bails them out? RCL? The insurance provider? Their  governor/aka the American tax payer? Enforcement should be getting word out that sick people are being immediately dumped at the next port for outright lying and putting the crew and the other 5000 fellow cruisers at risk.