Alaska Self-Quarantine

Jobeth66

So for those of us with cruises booked in the summer that haven't yet been canceled, does anyone have any idea how long the Alaska requirement to self-quarantine may go on?  That's going to be another factor in cruises starting up.  It's hard to self-quarantine for 14 days when  you're only in a port for a few hours.  Or if you're coming in for a cruise tour (as I am) that's a week long.  We can't go 2 weeks in advance and lay up in a hotel for 2 weeks prior to our tour starting, and I'm imagining most people can't.

With the CDC order extending the stop for 100 days (which puts it in July), I think this is just another nail in the coffin for the Alaska season.  😞

I have to think your first paragraph is rhetoric as Alaska won’t allow cruise ships while there is a 14 day self quarantine order in place.

And yes, the CDC has implemented a no sail order that may be in place for 100 days, it can also be extended but also shortened by the director rescinding the order.  This is in addition to Canada closing ports to cruise ships through the first of July as well as Seattle closing ports indefinitely.

No one knows how long this is going to last although it’s unlikely there will be any cruises in Alaska until at least the first part of July.  Although, that’s just my take.  I think your June trip is a bust.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

So for those of us with cruises booked in the summer that haven't yet been canceled, does anyone have any idea how long the Alaska requirement to self-quarantine may go on?  That's going to be another factor in cruises starting up.  It's hard to self-quarantine for 14 days when  you're only in a port for a few hours.  Or if you're coming in for a cruise tour (as I am) that's a week long.  We can't go 2 weeks in advance and lay up in a hotel for 2 weeks prior to our tour starting, and I'm imagining most people can't.

With the CDC order extending the stop for 100 days (which puts it in July), I think this is just another nail in the coffin for the Alaska season.  😞

I would suggest having alternative ideas in place.   In June,  it's highly unlikely there will be any Alaska cruises.     I'm actually looking at my mainland Alaska touring options this year,  and will very likely not involve any cruises.    

1 minute ago, Budget Queen said:

I would suggest having alternative ideas in place.   In June,  it's highly unlikely there will be any Alaska cruises.     I'm actually looking at my mainland Alaska touring options this year,  and will very likely not involve any cruises.    

My alternate plans are to take my refund once it's officially canceled and go someplace warm.  🙂  At this point, that 'someplace' may be my deck.  🙂

1 hour ago, Jobeth66 said:

My alternate plans are to take my refund once it's officially canceled and go someplace warm.  🙂  At this point, that 'someplace' may be my deck.  🙂

That would probably be the smart thing to do. We have canceled all of our trips to Alaska this year. We have relatives in Kenai and they say that there is talk of canceling the Bristol Bay fishery this year, that is a huge industry. When they talk like that you know things aren't good.

Princess announced earlier this week that it's canceling all the one-way cruises--those that go between Whittier and Vancouver. The five lodges and trains and buses for cruise tours won't be open this summer. Princess is hoping to have the roundtrip cruises from Seattle on the Ruby Princess and Emerald Princess. It is ceasing all cruises between now and June 30, so that gives them time to reassess the situation and make additional changes.

Edited by geoherb

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Princess announced earlier this week that it's canceling all the one-way cruises--those that go between Whittier and Vancouver. The five lodges and trains and buses for cruise tours won't be open this summer. Princess is hoping to have the roundtrip cruises from Seattle on the Ruby Princess and Emerald Princess. It is ceasing all cruises between now and June 30, so that gives them time to reassess the situation and make additional changes.

so has Holland.  The two biggest players in Alaska cruises are both hoping to be able to have just two ships each from Seattle doing 7 day cruises later this summer.   It is also a big if.  I saw somewhere that tourism means close to a billion dollars a year to Alaska, most of it is from cruises.     

Just curious:  From the cruise line perspective, what is the difference between the one way cruises that are cancelled for the whole season and the round trip cruises that they *hope* can still sail?  

We are currently booked on Royal Caribbean RT out of Vancouver at the end of July- fully expecting and prepared for it to be cancelled unfortunately.  Since this would be our first Alaska cruise, I wasn't sure why some were cancelled and others weren't.  

22 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

I'm scheduled to go up there June 29 for 6 weeks. Might be the first time in 20+ years I won't be going. Sure will miss the fishing!

I hope to spend time in Alaska,  this season as well.   Maybe mainland and a RV will be available for me??     For me-  it will break a 26 year,  yearly visit.    Incredibly sad,  since it never was anticipated.    

9 hours ago, becko2000 said:

Just curious:  From the cruise line perspective, what is the difference between the one way cruises that are cancelled for the whole season and the round trip cruises that they *hope* can still sail?  

From the cruise line's perspective, they'll save a lot by not opening up the lodges and not having to deal with the infrastructure for transporting passengers from place to place. Sad for those people who rely on these summer jobs to get them through the long winters in Alaska--and for those who just work there during the season. We met one on a transatlantic cruise. He has worked the summers there for years and spends his winters in Florida. 

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

From the cruise line's perspective, they'll save a lot by not opening up the lodges and not having to deal with the infrastructure for transporting passengers from place to place. Sad for those people who rely on these summer jobs to get them through the long winters in Alaska--and for those who just work there during the season. We met one on a transatlantic cruise. He has worked the summers there for years and spends his winters in Florida. 

That makes sense, thank you!  Very sad for these ports, and all of those who depend on the cruise season to make their living.  I'm bummed about potentially missing a cruise, but I know we will plan on 2021 or 2022 if necessary.  I can't imagine the stress and turmoil these people are experiencing!

On 4/15/2020 at 3:05 PM, CRUZBUDS said:

so has Holland.  The two biggest players in Alaska cruises are both hoping to be able to have just two ships each from Seattle doing 7 day cruises later this summer.   It is also a big if.  I saw somewhere that tourism means close to a billion dollars a year to Alaska, most of it is from cruises.     

Princess and Holland America Alaska is run by 1 office for Alaska.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, Jobeth66 said:

How else would you post on TCF??????

😉

• 2 weeks later...

We are scheduled for July 10, RCCL from Vancouver to Seward. This is our second "try" for the season. We booked a group January of 2018 for a June cruise that was cancelled. Unfortunately the June 2021 cruises were too expensive for us to re-book when we got cancelled, but the July cruise was a fantastic "deal". Fully prepared for it to be cancelled as well. But, if (big IF) Canada re-opens port and cruises are allowed to cruise it might be the best cruise ever...half price from our fantastic original group rate and maybe a ship half-full that is extra clean. So...we are sure hopeful that we get to go but realize it might be a long shot. I have spoken with a couple tour vendors that are planning to have a season. Major Marine in Seward is starting their tour season. I know, if the season happens, there will be lots of excursions/tour companies that might not happen but the things that we have on the group list most are taking local buses to so we should be okay. Fingers (and toes) crossed...

• Like 1