Queen Elizabeth Position

sfred

21 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Suez QE ´s next destination. Maybe they " called" her back to England... - to meet up with her sisters.

That's the word for QE's ultimate destination. See sogne's, Bell Boy's and Solent Richard's posts (#117, #119 and #121 above) indicating QE is heading back to the UK with an expected arrival date of July 24th.

• Haha 1

Its very interesting to see what is happening with these ships, I have kept an occasional eye on QE via Marine Traffic and wished for the Philippine crew’s safety and a problem free repatriation back to their homeland. We are feeling quite nostalgic at the moment because on June 30/19 we boarded QE in Vancouver and had a wonderful 24 day experience disembarking in NewYork at Cunards old Manhattan dock. It seemed so appropriate to sail to NYC the old fashioned way on a Cunard Liner.

looking back now, how fortunate we were to even experience this Cruise with stops in SanFrancisco. July 4th back to back with the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a huge fireworks party, it was freakin awesome! Stops in Cabo, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama with a Jungle river excursion to the Embera Indian Village. Thru the Panama Canal to Aruba the friendliest Island which we found was true, we got invited to a beach party at one of the private resorts. Ft Lauderdale where the Everglades airboat ride scratched another one off the bucket list, this cruise actually scratched a lot off that bucket list. Sailing under the Vrazzano Bridge at the crack of dawn past the Statue of Liberty, QE had the bow decks open till we docked at the terminal, it was truly spectacular. 

When you are on board for a lengthier Cruise other passengers, the crew and entertainers get to know you and we developed a rapport even on the shore excursions, we had such a wonderful experience. The only downfall were some other sick passengers coughing into their hands and spreading the Cunard cough around which sidelined us for a few days. This Covid experience has wisened us to hand washing, elevator buttons, hand rails and being careful which surfaces not to touch.

it seems so unbelievable what has happened in 2020, we almost waited till this year to do it, so glad we went when we did. We really hope to board QE once again in the future but only if things return to a safe environment on ship and shore. Wish everyone safe travels once she gets back to roaming the planet again, let’s hope it’s sooner than later!

All the best,

Sig

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

QE has now been added to the Southampton VTS Cruise Ship Schedule page, currently scheduled to arrive at the Mayflower Terminal on July 24th at 8:00am.

Ship Name Arrival Time Departure Time Berth Agent

QUEEN ELIZABETH 24-Jul-20 08:00 26-Jul-20 16:00 106 CARNIVAL UK
  • Haha 1

Southampton VTS has now been updated to show the QE on 24th-26th July at the Mayflower Terminal.

Snap - we both posted at the same time!

🙂

Edited by Ray66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Southampton VTS has now been updated to show the QE on 24th-26th July at the Mayflower Terminal.

Snap - we both posted at the same time!

🙂

Yeah, we were both right on top of that one weren't we?

• Haha 1

QE has of course long since left Manila. But just to add a footnote to that saga, here is what it looked like at Manila this morning July 3rd when all 33 cruise ships in the area were parked within Manila Bay at the same time (one at pier 15 and the other 32 at the anchorage).

637307592_ManilaBayCruiseShips2020-07-03.thumb.png.e4501ec36e680fbf83a6d651d6b77a93.png

Costa Mediterranea has since departed for Singapore this afternoon and there are no more cruise ships I see scheduled to arrive. So, I suspect the Manila cruise ship parking lot where QE was until June 26th may have reached its peak at 33 cruise ships this morning.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a peak of 34 cruise ships in and around Manila on Monday before Viking Orion departed on Tuesday, but there were never as many as 33 cruise ships actually parked within the bay at the same time until this morning.

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks for the entertainment Blue Marble. 
setiously... it’s been fascinating to follow your posts throughout the lockdown. 
Just sad for the cruise industry and especially the crew. 
We’ll be back. Just need a vaccine, good health and insurance! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that QE had to leave Australian waters, possibly because it was foreign registered, then it was anchored in the bay outside Manila, now it is approaching the Suez Canal and is due back in Southampton around 24th July.  I see its next advertised voyage is In the Autumn from Australia.  So what is the point of bringing the ship back to UK waters?  

Could it be anything to do with the rationalisation and selling of Carnival ships, a possible delay with the new Cunard ship, more profitability long-term north of the Equator, filling in for QM-2 November refit (if that happens) etc, etc?  The setting down and picking up of crew in Manila doesn't seem to feature in a return to the UK.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be happening to QE and Cunard?

On 7/12/2020 at 12:48 AM, RJChatsworth said:

It appears that QE had to leave Australian waters, possibly because it was foreign registered, then it was anchored in the bay outside Manila, now it is approaching the Suez Canal and is due back in Southampton around 24th July.  I see its next advertised voyage is In the Autumn from Australia.  So what is the point of bringing the ship back to UK waters?  

Could it be anything to do with the rationalisation and selling of Carnival ships, a possible delay with the new Cunard ship, more profitability long-term north of the Equator, filling in for QM-2 November refit (if that happens) etc, etc?  The setting down and picking up of crew in Manila doesn't seem to feature in a return to the UK.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be happening to QE and Cunard?

All any of us can do at the moment is guess. I am booked on the first cruise after QE's scheduled return to service, in November 2020.  With the sudden rise in COVID19 cases in Melbourne in the last week, and the return to lockdown there, who knows if the ship will even be able to arrive?  Currently, cruise ships are banned from Australia until mid September so any further extensions  could mean further cancellations...

1 hour ago, AussieVoyager said:

All any of us can do at the moment is guess. I am booked on the first cruise after QE's scheduled return to service, in November 2020.  With the sudden rise in COVID19 cases in Melbourne in the last week, and the return to lockdown there, who knows if the ship will even be able to arrive?  Currently, cruise ships are banned from Australia until mid September so any further extensions  could mean further cancellations...

I doubt QE will return for the summer Australian season, especially since the crew are not locals. Her return to the UK seems to anticipate a long layup. It’s doubtful the industry will restart, even in the northern hemisphere, until 2021. I’d expect QE will return to Australia for Nov/Dec 2021. 

54 minutes ago, Austcruiser84 said:

I doubt QE will return for the summer Australian season, especially since the crew are not locals. Her return to the UK seems to anticipate a long layup. It’s doubtful the industry will restart, even in the northern hemisphere, until 2021. I’d expect QE will return to Australia for Nov/Dec 2021. 

That's what I'm suspecting too, but it would be so much better if they told us.  I don't want to pay in August if they've already decided to cancel.

For anyone tracking QE's journey home, she is in the Red Sea at the moment (5pm Australia Eastern Time Monday 13th), nearing the Gulf of Suez, heading 331 speed 15.2 knots, at the lower right of the below paste from marinetraffic.com.  The only other passenger ship in the vicinity is Carnival Fascination, at the upper left.

image.png.10ea5059d4f87cd1cac91af1b28424fa.png

• Like 1

Insurance is usually dependent on Foreign Office advice ... essential for older vulnerable worriers like us! 
Another nail in the coffin with the news below this week. 

‘UK holidaymakers are being urged by the government to avoid travelling on cruise ships.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) issued a statement on Thursday advising people not to embark on sailings due to the coronavirus’

Thank you sfred ...we can dream! I’m in the Red Sea. 

On 7/13/2020 at 1:46 PM, AussieVoyager said:

That's what I'm suspecting too, but it would be so much better if they told us.  I don't want to pay in August if they've already decided to cancel.

Check with Cunard.  I am booked on 1st Dec and have been told that the final payment is now Nov 1st - 30 days prior not 90.  I spotted it in an ad on a online TAs site and double checked with Cunard.

39 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Check with Cunard.  I am booked on 1st Dec and have been told that the final payment is now Nov 1st - 30 days prior not 90.  I spotted it in an ad on a online TAs site and double checked with Cunard.

That's interesting Ondine, thanks for that.  I have sent an enquiry to Cunard to see if I get the same information.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, AussieVoyager said:

That's interesting Ondine, thanks for that.  I have sent an enquiry to Cunard to see if I get the same information.

Cunard has confirmed by email that standard terms and conditions have been amended.  For all voyages departing before 31 March 2021, final payment is due 30 days before departure rather than 90 days.

1 hour ago, AussieVoyager said:

Cunard has confirmed by email that standard terms and conditions have been amended.  For all voyages departing before 31 March 2021, final payment is due 30 days before departure rather than 90 days.

Thanks for the confirmation of what I had been told and the dates which it applies to.   That just about covers  Queen Elizabeth in Australia/NZ.  Not looking hopeful.

12 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Thanks for the confirmation of what I had been told and the dates which it applies to.   That just about covers  Queen Elizabeth in Australia/NZ.  Not looking hopeful.

I agree it's not looking hopeful - because of the general worldwide situation, and also because of the huge increase in outbreaks in Victoria.  I'm guessing that even if Cunard doesn't choose to cancel, Australia may well extend its current ban on cruise ships which is due to expire on 17 September.

Re the amended final payment due date.

It is now showing on the "Sailing With Confidence" page of the Cunard website, about 2/3 of the way down.

Cut and Pasted below.

Extended Payment Dates

As of 14 July 2020, for all voyages sailing on or before 31 March 2021, final payment is now due 30 days before sailing. This is much closer to sailing than our usual final payment due dates whch are between 120 and 90 days.

Their spelling, not mine..!!

Cheers,

Oldace.