Viking Ship Locations

Dukefan

On 10/9/2020 at 1:03 AM, deec said:

Agree, whenever we have been in port there are always crew working! 

I mean this is just normal lol. People are at work wherever they are and there is no surprise that some are taking more care of things than others. As far as cruise ships are concerned this is totally OK to be painting the anchor.. more often

• 4 weeks later...

We noticed that Jupiter went to Skagen and then back to Kristiansand earlier and now Star is off to Skagen.  We stopped there on our Scandinavia and the Kiel Canal cruise and walked around the area with our guide. There didn’t seem to be any reason why the ships should go there at this time.  Any ideas why they would be going there?  

And the PCR labs might not be worth much if SeaDream's experience is of use.  Currently in Barbados with approx. 60 passengers and 3 PCR machines, 7 so far have tested positive.  All had negative tests within 72 hours of boarding, another test on arrival at Barbados and another test prior to boarding.  All negative.  On the 5th day of the voyage one passenger became ill and tested positive.  So far 5 in her group and one other couple have tested positive after all those negative tests.  Incubation period information would suggest they were exposed onboard their flights to the ship, not after boarding.  Now the ship will probably spread among crew and the rest of the passengers who, if testing negatively today, are being put on aircraft for flights home.  Testing can never guarantee non exposure.  At some point we have to live with the fact that this virus exists, as do hundreds of others.  We can't live indefinitely like 2020.  

There may be light at the end of the tunnel:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/13/vaccine-could-add-1-percentage-point-to-us-gdp-in-2021-ubs-says.html

Excerpt:

UBS had originally estimated that the number of coronavirus infections in the U.S. would approach zero by the end of 2021, but the vaccine news has made the bank bring that forecast forward by six months.

"We might get a situation where reported cases of Covid in the United States fall very close to zero in Q2 (second quarter) of next year. That six month difference, that two-quarter difference matters a lot, it means an extra 1 to 1.25 percentage point gain in GDP next year," Seth Carpenter, chief U.S. economist at UBS, told CNBC's Joumanna Bercetche on Thursday.

He added that the vaccine news "was very encouraging" because the efficacy rate came in much higher than analysts were anticipating.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

52 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Incubation period information would suggest they were exposed onboard their flights to the ship, not after boarding.

I wouldn't make as simple as "on board their flights" but making their way to the airport, at the airport and making their way to the ship, as well.

Maybe it is the incubation period that is going to make the start up so difficult.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

I wouldn't make as simple as "on board their flights" but making their way to the airport, at the airport and making their way to the ship, as well.

Maybe it is the incubation period that is going to make the start up so difficult.

Right you are.  Here is a typical flight for us from PHX to BGI.  Arrive at airport 3 HOURS early according to the rules.  That assumes we drive our own car.  Add cab/limo exposure if using them.  Drag through security.  Find somewhere to wait that hasn't had 2,000 people seated there in the last few hours.  Maybe go to a restaurant for something to eat.  Finally board the tin tube for a 2.5/3 hour flight to IAH.  Could be Dallas, Denver or Atlanta too but the idea is the same.  Walk through a giant airport full of thousands of strangers and wait at a new gate.  Board the next flight (last flight if you are lucky but we are not).  Arrive in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and taxi/limo to a hotel for the night.  At least one meal in a restaurant.  Forget even shopping much less partying.  Taxi/limo to airport next morning.  Another multi hour time at airport going through security and waiting for flight.  A 3 to 5 hour flight to BGI.  If you arrive there and test negative it means nothing really.  Just look at all the exposure events enroute.  So a "government approved" super sanitary cab (yeah, right.... It's the Caribbean) to the ship and another test not likely to show any of the "cooties" you are by now crawling with.  Finally, enjoy your cruise.😱  Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this feat without any exposure??.  Testing is obviously not the answer.  It only tells you how you used to be.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Testing is obviously not the answer.  It only tells you how you used to be.

One way of looking at. Still, even if isn't the solution, shouldn't it be one of the tools in the arsenal?  It still provides valuable information that will hopefully lead to "the answer."  I'm just worried the answer is not going to be what we would like to be hearing.

• Like 1

Only two options that I see:

- Require proof of vaccination at least four weeks before boarding (and continue the testing).

or

- Sequester all pax at a chartered all-inclusive resort for a week or so before departure, surrounded by fencing and guards.  No one comes and goes, including staff.  The transfer busses and drivers would also have to be sequestered.  If a single person in the compound comes down with covid, then the cruise is canceled.

Face it folks, if you are an anti-vaxer, you are likely never cruising again, IMHO.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

21 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Only two options that I see:

- Require proof of vaccination at least four weeks before boarding (and continue the testing).

I think that's the one. If you look at the entrance criteria for Ecuador (had an interest because we were booked on a now cancelled Galápagos trip with Viking  Expeditions), one of the criteria was providing written proof of a negative PCR test no less than 2 weeks before departure. Well - when vaccinations become available - I was already thinking that Viking (and other cruise lines), at a minimum, will include a similar requirement - written proof of vaccination along with a negative PCR. In the case of the former, not wait until just prior to boarding but a few months - not 4 wks - in advance (it looks like vaccinations will be a multi-stage affair spaced a few weeks apart, thus 4 wks is not enough). Re the latter, that should be provided 2 wks in advance. Suspect other countries will do something similar to permit entry. Another thought - will airlines, busses, and trains impose a similar rule? Proof of vaccination (at minimum?)

Edited by CharTrav

When I started at sea, we had to carry our Immunisation Record Book and they all had to be current, as we joined a ship.

We did have a choice, if we didn't want vaccinations, we needed a new career.🙂

This wasn't even driven by the shipping company, it was driven by ports of call. When the ship requests Practique, all crew must meet the requirements. If we didn't comply, the ship didn't get Practique and therefore couldn't enter the port for trade.

With COVID, I can envisage at least some countries requiring vaccinations, once they are available. Those that can't get vaccinated, or refuse, would be unable to enter those countries.

Both of us still maintain our Immunisation Record Books and have no problem with mandatory vaccinations on cruise ships and possibly other modes of public transportation.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

When I started at sea, we had to carry our Immunisation Record Book and they all had to be current, as we joined a ship.

We did have a choice, if we didn't want vaccinations, we needed a new career.🙂

This wasn't even driven by the shipping company, it was driven by ports of call. When the ship requests Practique, all crew must meet the requirements. If we didn't comply, the ship didn't get Practique and therefore couldn't enter the port for trade.

With COVID, I can envisage at least some countries requiring vaccinations, once they are available. Those that can't get vaccinated, or refuse, would be unable to enter those countries.

Both of us still maintain our Immunisation Record Books and have no problem with mandatory vaccinations on cruise ships and possibly other modes of public transportation.

Once upon a time, we all had to carry both a passport and a yellow vaccination card showing that we had been vaccinated for small pox in order to travel abroad. and we had to show them at every single border crossed. If we have to do it again, no problem,  I have been storing my yellow card right beside my passports. I guess we will have to find out if the pharmacies will be able to validate the cards when we get vaccinated.

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Once upon a time, we all had to carry both a passport and a yellow vaccination card showing that we had been vaccinated for small pox in order to travel abroad. and we had to show them at every single border crossed. If we have to do it again, no problem,  I have been storing my yellow card right beside my passports. I guess we will have to find out if the pharmacies will be able to validate the cards when we get vaccinated.

I'm trusting that when I get my vaccination our doctor will provide the necessary forms. 

50 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Glad to see everyone is on-board with getting vaccinated!  We have booked (and paid for) a June Viking Alaska cruise.  Since we are “elderly” (65), I have high hopes of getting vaccinated in plenty of time to make that cruise.  Now I just have to worry about grizzly bears....

No need to worry about the Grizzlies.   They will have no problem finding you.  And to them, you taste just like chicken.....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I'm trusting that when I get my vaccination our doctor will provide the necessary forms. 

Trust but verify.  If you GP office is not the one to inoculate, can they fill out the yellow card?  I guess these are questions we are going to have to answer before we arrive at the vaccination station.  

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Trust but verify.  If you GP office is not the one to inoculate, can they fill out the yellow card?  I guess these are questions we are going to have to answer before we arrive at the vaccination station.  

Yup. We will have to see.  A learning experience for all.