Viking Ship Locations

Dukefan

On 8/22/2020 at 11:33 PM, Heidi13 said:

I believe the only Viking ship to have completed the 1st Special Survey/Drydock is the Star. In wet deck they can't complete any of the tasks that require drydocking, so only painting, hotel work and other minor work can be completed.

I understand from this post that the Viking Star has had its 1st Special Survey/Drydock.  Are the Viking Sea and Viking Sky the next two ships scheduled for this work? I know that the Viking Sun was built the same year as the Viking Sky but I don't know which is oldest.    If the Sea & Sky are the next ships scheduled for this work, could it be the reason they are still at Harland & Wolff.   Also, how long does the Drydock part of this work require?  Would it make sense to wait until the last minute to do this work before they actually start cruising again?

Edited by Dukefan

12 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I understand from this post that the Viking Star has had its 1st Special Survey/Drydock.  Are the Viking Sea and Viking Sky the next two ships scheduled for this work? I know that the Viking Sun was built the same year as the Viking Sky but I don't know which is oldest.    If the Sea & Sky are the next ships scheduled for this work, could it be the reason they are still at Harland & Wolff.   Also, how long does the Drydock part of this work require?  Would it make sense to wait until the last minute to do this work before they actually start cruising again?

Affirmative, the sequence was Star, Sea, Sky & Sun.

The drydock schedule depends on the labour available, hours of work and scope of work. I've never completed a 1st special survey, so not certain on the scope of work. We pulled shafts every 10 yrs and rudders/hubs every 5 yrs.

I have seen rudders, hubs & shafts pulled and re-installed in as little as 9 days on the P&O/Princess ships, but locally we normally spent almost 3 weeks on the blocks.

Drydock bookings are often made many years in advance. We drydocked twice every 5 years and had at least the next  2 dockings booked and confirmed. Many drydocks are fully booked years out, so not too many opportunities to vary the dates. Although H&W may be the exception, as the Stena ship was due to return to service Aug 17th, but she is still on the blocks.

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, the sequence was Star, Sea, Sky & Sun.

The drydock schedule depends on the labour available, hours of work and scope of work. I've never completed a 1st special survey, so not certain on the scope of work. We pulled shafts every 10 yrs and rudders/hubs every 5 yrs.

I have seen rudders, hubs & shafts pulled and re-installed in as little as 9 days on the P&O/Princess ships, but locally we normally spent almost 3 weeks on the blocks.

Drydock bookings are often made many years in advance. We drydocked twice every 5 years and had at least the next  2 dockings booked and confirmed. Many drydocks are fully booked years out, so not too many opportunities to vary the dates. Although H&W may be the exception, as the Stena ship was due to return to service Aug 17th, but she is still on the blocks.

Thanks.  I was curious if the Sea & Sky were waiting around H&W for a drydock opportunity.  It would seem little a good move at this time and would delete the need in 2021-2022.

The one I am watching with interest is Orion. After weeks of steaming at a couple of knots, she has probably topped-off with bunkers in Singapore and has left Malacca Straits. Last time I checked, her AIS still shows a Malaysian port on Sept 12th.

39 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Thanks.  I was curious if the Sea & Sky were waiting around H&W for a drydock opportunity.  It would seem little a good move at this time and would delete the need in 2021-2022.

Unfortunately, you don't get advanced credit for doing statutory inspections early.  They could do a shipyard period now, and get work done, but they still would have to drydock the ship within the 6 month window (3 months either side) around the 5 year anniversary.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2020 at 12:34 PM, Dukefan said:

I understand from this post that the Viking Star has had its 1st Special Survey/Drydock

The "Special Survey" is the survey done every 5 years, so the 1st Special is just the first 5 year drydocking inspection.  There are a number of inspections and certificates that are issued at each survey, some annually, some at the mid-period of the 5 year Special Survey interval (Intermediate Certificates), and some at the 5 year period.  Some of the 5 year certificates require the same inspections regardless of how old the ship is, but the Special Surveys increase in detail the older the ship gets.  The 3rd Special is a turning point, as after this, the ship can no longer use an underwater (diver) survey in lieu of the intermediate drydocking, and the ship will need to dock twice in 5 years, and the amount of ultrasonic and x-ray testing of structural steel and welds goes way up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The one I am watching with interest is Orion. After weeks of steaming at a couple of knots, she has probably topped-off with bunkers in Singapore and has left Malacca Straits. Last time I checked, her AIS still shows a Malaysian port on Sept 12th.

She appears to be headed to India where we think she dropped off crew a couple of months ago.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The "Special Survey" is the survey done every 5 years, so the 1st Special is just the first 5 year drydocking inspection.  There are a number of inspections and certificates that are issued at each survey, some annually, some at the mid-period of the 5 year Special Survey interval (Intermediate Certificates), and some at the 5 year period.  Some of the 5 year certificates require the same inspections regardless of how old the ship is, but the Special Surveys increase in detail the older the ship gets.  The 3rd Special is a turning point, as after this, the ship can no longer use an underwater (diver) survey in lieu of the intermediate drydocking, and the ship will need to dock twice in 5 years, and the amount of ultrasonic and x-ray testing of structural steel and welds goes way up.

Thanks, this helps.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I was wondering what date they use for the initial point in the five years - launch date?  Maiden voyage date?  Sea's launch date is June 2015, but the first voyage was April 2016.

3 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I was wondering what date they use for the initial point in the five years - launch date?  Maiden voyage date?  Sea's launch date is June 2015, but the first voyage was April 2016.

Typically, it is the delivery date, when the ownership of the vessel is transferred from the shipyard to the shipping line.  That is the day that the check with all the zeros is handed over, and class will date all documents from that date.  Sea's delivery date was 24 Mar 2016.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dukefan said:

She appears to be headed to India where we think she dropped off crew a couple of months ago.

Once she clears Galle, what course she sets may indicate where she is bound - India, Red Sea or Persian Gulf.

Since Viking have shut everything down to 2021, she might even be joining her sisters in Europe.

12 hours ago, JeriGail said:

The Sun has anchored at the Goteborg anchorage, but still has Mukran as its destination.

The Sun has weighed anchor and is again underway to Mukran.

Orion made a brief stop at Galle, just drifting for a few hours, and is also underway again. Don't see an updated destination in the AIS.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just watching Viking Orion and unless she is giving the south coast of India a wide berth, it looks like she is bound for the Red Sea and Europe.

That seems kind of strange considering that Orion is scheduled for SE Asia when she resumes cruising.

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

That seems kind of strange considering that Orion is scheduled for SE Asia when she resumes cruising.

That's what I thought, expecting her to continue in the vicinity of Singapore, which has reasonable bunker prices.

Should have a better idea tomorrow morning, if she is heading up the Indian coast, or setting courses across the pond.

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

That's what I thought, expecting her to continue in the vicinity of Singapore, which has reasonable bunker prices.

Should have a better idea tomorrow morning, if she is heading up the Indian coast, or setting courses across the pond.

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It sure appears now as if the Orion is headed  toward the Suez Canal & to Europe to join her sisters.

16 hours ago, Dukefan said:

It sure appears now as if the Orion is headed  toward the Suez Canal & to Europe to join her sisters.

Affirmative, she has now cleared the Maldives and while she could possibly alter North to the Persian Gulf, but I'm thinking she is bound for "Pirate Alley" and the Red Sea.

Remember the brief stop at Galle, without docking or anchoring, this is potentially a clue to being bound for the Red Sea approaches. Expect to see the speed increase as she approaches the horn of Africa.

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, she has now cleared the Maldives and while she could possibly alter North to the Persian Gulf, but I'm thinking she is bound for "Pirate Alley" and the Red Sea.

Remember the brief stop at Galle, without docking or anchoring, this is potentially a clue to being bound for the Red Sea approaches. Expect to see the speed increase as she approaches the horn of Africa.

Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!  Full speed ahead and d@mn the small boats........ A Platoon of Marines with live rounds would end the pirate dream of hijacking a passenger ship forever...😎

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!  Full speed ahead and d@mn the small boats........ A Platoon of Marines with live rounds would end the pirate dream of hijacking a passenger ship forever...😎

So true Jim. Put a few Royal Marines, SAS or SBS on each ship and the pirate business would have deadly consequences.

• Like 1