Viking Ship Locations

Dukefan

Orion has increased speed as she approaches the narrow Bab al Mandab Strait at the entrance to the Red Sea. Still no destination posted on her AIS.

Any guesses as to her eventual destination, assuming she does transit Suez. Currently 2 ships in Northern Ireland, 2 in Germany, 1 in Norway and almost 1 in Italy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Orion has increased speed as she approaches the narrow Bab al Mandab Strait at the entrance to the Red Sea. Still no destination posted on her AIS.

Any guesses as to her eventual destination, assuming she does transit Suez. Currently 2 ships in Northern Ireland, 2 in Germany, 1 in Norway and almost 1 in Italy.

Both are typical anti-pirate procedures for the Horn of Africa.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 1:38 PM, chengkp75 said:

Both are typical anti-pirate procedures for the Horn of Africa.

Chief - The AIS destination has been ongoing since she departed Singapore. She originally entered Malacca, Malaysia, but steamed up and out of the Malacca Strait. Approaching Sri Lanka, she entered Galle, where she slow steamed just off the coast. That was probably boarding contractors, as required for the Horn of Africa passage. Watching her slow steam off the coast was the first clue she was bound for Suez.

With respect to speed, I had expected to see her transit that area at 19kts + with all four engines online, as we did on the Sun, back in March. She can make 17 kts on 3 engines, but no doubt the 4th was warmed up and ready to go at short notice.

2 hours ago, Dukefan said:

The Viking Sun and Star are no longer docked in Mukran but are now both anchored less than 10 nm offshore between the Port of Mukran and Sassnitz, Germany.   The Viking Orion is near entering the Suez Cannal.

And according to myshipping.com the Sun and Star are both heading to Anchorage, ETA left blank. 

34 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

And according to myshipping.com the Sun and Star are both heading to Anchorage, ETA left blank. 

I have not used myshipping.com, and can't get it to load, but I suspect they are headed to "anchorage", not "Anchorage".  Marinetraffic shows a destination of Sassnitz anchorage, with an ETA of 0800 UTC today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I have not used myshipping.com, and can't get it to load, but I suspect they are headed to "anchorage", not "Anchorage".  Marinetraffic shows a destination of Sassnitz anchorage, with an ETA of 0800 UTC today.

The site myshipping.com shows “Anchorage” , along with the American flag. Who knows?

I agree with the Chief, as Marinetraffic is a more reliable site. The Sun has moved out to the anchorage a couple of times, most likely vacating the berth for inbound ships.

Orion is currently anchored off Port Suez at the canal's southern entrance. Her AIS now lists Trieste, Italy as the destination.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I agree with the Chief, as Marinetraffic is a more reliable site. The Sun has moved out to the anchorage a couple of times, most likely vacating the berth for inbound ships.

Orion is currently anchored off Port Suez at the canal's southern entrance. Her AIS now lists Trieste, Italy as the destination.

Trieste is near Venice isn't it?    Why would she be headed there? 

That destination is interesting.

On one hand it does rather suggest that the far east itineraries in the first half of next year are even less likely to happen. On the other it begs the question why send the ship back to the shipyard?

The removal of the planetarium would be one explanation but it is hard to see how the extra expenditure on that could be justified at a time when cash is short. Might it be related to The Venus in some way?

If the far east itineraries have been abandoned The Orion’s next duties are in Alaska in May. That would make it available to cover some of The Venus’s commitments if the build is running late. Or maybe they plan to "borrow" some of the furniture or other fittings which have supplier delays from The Orion in order to get The Venus operational on time.

All speculation of course, but we have to do something to fill the gaps where trip planning used to be 🤔

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Trieste is near Venice isn't it?    Why would she be headed there? 

Affirmative, right at the top of the Adriatic on the East side.

I believe the shipyard is based in Trieste, which has a repair yard. Best guess is she could be getting some warranty work and/or modifications completed 

37 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking Sea anchored in Gibraltar for bunkers and is now bound for Tivat in Montenegro, a port I have never heard of before. Apparently just South of Dubrovnik.

Anyone know anything about this port?

Tivat is where they send the overflow from Alang.😳 just kidding, been too serious here. 😎

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:53 PM, Heidi13 said:

Viking Sea anchored in Gibraltar for bunkers and is now bound for Tivat in Montenegro, a port I have never heard of before. Apparently just South of Dubrovnik.

Anyone know anything about this port?

After Tivat, the next port is Trieste in Italy.

SEA will meet her sister ORION there.

• 2 weeks later...