Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Dukefan

Viking Ship Locations

Recommended Posts

Dukefan - I don’t disagree that cost associated with repatriation is no doubt a major factor in the decision making process and even with parked planes I don’t see the charter angle being ‘cheap’ even for massive numbers of crew, hence the reason ships are sailing now from North America to SE Asia full of crew.  
 

Was this sailing repatriation ‘late’ in comparison..yes..but as I’ve said at the end of the day every line including Viking is going to be subject to red tape and with the majority of ships returning to US ports to disembark passengers it only stands to reason that they remained there in the hopes they could shift the crew as well.  Could they have sailed to Europe in the hopes of finding an ‘open’ country and port to disembark their 20k crew?  Possibly, but when all companies are cautiously optimistic that their future itineraries will resume they’re not going to be thousands of miles away from where their ‘next’ itinerary is going to be.

Unfortunately for them the CDC dropped the hammer and all of those other ships that weren’t infected got tarred with the same brush as those that had positive cases.  Now what might the tone be if/when Viking reports their first case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Dukefan - I don’t disagree that cost associated with repatriation is no doubt a major factor in the decision making process and even with parked planes I don’t see the charter angle being ‘cheap’ even for massive numbers of crew, hence the reason ships are sailing now from North America to SE Asia full of crew.  
 

Was this sailing repatriation ‘late’ in comparison..yes..but as I’ve said at the end of the day every line including Viking is going to be subject to red tape and with the majority of ships returning to US ports to disembark passengers it only stands to reason that they remained there in the hopes they could shift the crew as well.  Could they have sailed to Europe in the hopes of finding an ‘open’ country and port to disembark their 20k crew?  Possibly, but when all companies are cautiously optimistic that their future itineraries will resume they’re not going to be thousands of miles away from where their ‘next’ itinerary is going to be.

Unfortunately for them the CDC dropped the hammer and all of those other ships that weren’t infected got tarred with the same brush as those that had positive cases.  Now what might the tone be if/when Viking reports their first case...

Viking and every cruise ship can get a case.    When Viking does and it more than likely eventually will, the test will be how they deal with it and what steps they take to control it and protect the passengers and crew.   

 

My point in mentioning that Viking did not have a case was only to point out that I believe that probably made it easier to negotiate the maze they had to go through with various government authorities to repatriate their crew and fly them home.   I saw where Carnival is gathering their ships near Bahamas  to transport their crew to their homes.  They will use tenders to move crew to the ship headed to their home location and then using several of their ships with North America based crew transport crew to Asia, Africa, Europe, India and Latin America.    The summary I read said that 10,000 of their crew members had already been flown home and that this operation would transport another 10,000 of their crew.   Another 6,000 of their crew were being repatriated from Australia and Long Beach on Charter flights and by ship.  The remaining 3,000 of their 29,000  crew members will remain on board there ships to maintain them until cruise operations restart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Orion is underway again, as of yesterday. I believe she has just crossed the Equator and is heading SE towards Java Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It currently appears five of six of Vikings Ships are currently docked in the UK (1 Ship) or Norway (4 Ships).   

·       Viking Star - docked at Tilbury, UK

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orion – Has departed Jakarta and is head for Bali  

 

The Viking Orion crew over the past month has been doing its own tour of the Indian Ocean and Java Sea with stops in Melbourne,  Singapore, Jakarta and soon Bali.   It has been interesting to watch. Wish someone on board was posting daily highlights like Andy and Judi (Heidi13) did on the World Cruise!

Edited by Dukefan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It currently appears five of six of Vikings Ships are currently docked in the UK (1 Ship) or Norway (4 Ships).   

·       Viking Star - docked at Tilbury, UK

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orion – Has turned around in Bali and appears to be headed back to Singapore.

 

The Viking Orion crew over the past month has been doing its own tour of the Indian Ocean and Java Sea with stops in Melbourne, Singapore, Jakarta, Bali? (Couldn’t tell if it actually stopped their) and now back toward Singapore.   It has been interesting to watch. It kind of reminds me of the old Boll Weevil folk song lyrics “Looking for a home”!

 

As I said earlier, I wish someone on board was posting daily highlights like Andy and Judi (Heidi13) did on the World Cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dukefan said:

 

As I said earlier, I wish someone on board was posting daily highlights like Andy and Judi (Heidi13) did on the World Cruise!

 

Yeah. We want to know who are the Baggo champions are among the crew. (Check out the thread or Andy & Judi's blog.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, odblnt said:

 

Yeah. We want to know who are the Baggo champions are among the crew. (Check out the thread or Andy & Judi's blog.)

Great question, as I forgot to ask after we disembarked. Will send an email to Beven, as he is already home. Will let you know.

 

From memory, the 4 finalists were Vikings (officers + pax), galley, bars and housekeeping.

 

This exercise was an incredible morale booster for the crew, as they were practicing almost 24/7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dukefan said:

It currently appears five of six of Vikings Ships are currently docked in the UK (1 Ship) or Norway (4 Ships).   

·       Viking Star - docked at Tilbury, UK

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orion – Has turned around in Bali and appears to be headed back to Singapore.

 

The Viking Orion crew over the past month has been doing its own tour of the Indian Ocean and Java Sea with stops in Melbourne, Singapore, Jakarta, Bali? (Couldn’t tell if it actually stopped their) and now back toward Singapore.   It has been interesting to watch. It kind of reminds me of the old Boll Weevil folk song lyrics “Looking for a home”!

 

As I said earlier, I wish someone on board was posting daily highlights like Andy and Judi (Heidi13) did on the World Cruise!

Affirmative, on Singapore, as that was on the AIS before she went out of range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It currently appears four of six of Vikings Ships are docked in Norway.

 

·       Viking Star - has left Tilbury, UK after being docked there for several weeks and appears to be headed to Alesund, Norway to join the Viking Sky.

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orion – Has turned around in Bali and appears to be headed back to Singapore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, odblnt said:

 

Yeah. We want to know who are the Baggo champions are among the crew. (Check out the thread or Andy & Judi's blog.)

 

The final was between Housekeeping and Restaurant.

 

Housekeeping won with a tournament record score. By the last few rounds of the round robin, scores of > 3,000 were common. When we disembarked the high score was 3,060

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It currently appears five of the six of Viking Ocean Ships are docked in Norway.

 

·       Viking Star - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orionis currently setting in the harbor near Singapore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, Dukefan said:

It currently appears five of the six of Viking Ocean Ships are docked in Norway.

 

·       Viking Star - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orionis currently setting in the harbor near Singapore

No change in this status.   This map of the Viking Orion's location over the last week or so while it is awaiting orders gives new Covid-19 Cruise Ship meaning to going in circles 🙂 !

Viking Orion.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks @Dukefan. which site are you using btw?neither marine.traffic nor vessel finder are reading her location after May 19. Am on a pro account with VesselFinder and not willing to spring for $$$ to go beyond that level. Call me Madame Le Cheap (or Madame le Sensible). 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It currently appears five of the six of Viking Ocean Ships are docked in Norway.

 

·       Viking Star - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sun - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Jupiter - docked at Kristiansand, Norway

·       Viking Sky - docked at Alesund, Norway

·       Viking Sea - docked at Kristiansund, Norway

·       Viking Orionis currently in the Malacca Straight headed for Mumbai with a scheduled June 6 arrival there.   I, of course, have no clue where it is ultimately headed but if I was to guess, I would think that it was headed to join the rest of the fleet in Norway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she has any Indian crew still aboard, they may have received approval from the Indian Govt that they are prepared to accept return of their citizens for the first time since early March.

 

Will be interesting to see where she heads on departure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noted the Ovation of the Seas also has Bombay listed as the destination on AIS, arriving a day earlier than the Orion. She departed Manila, where they have a couple of dozen ships awaiting to disembark their Filippino crew. She may have taken the Indian crew from the other ships.

 

I also can't see Bombay/Mumbai being a technical stop for bunkers, as based on our recent experience they were cheaper in Colombo and Muscat. Hence the best guess is dropping off crew. Have searched if India is now accepting citizens to return, but no luck.

 

If Orion is disembarking Indian crew, my best guess is she will return to waiting for orders between Singapore & Manila. As Alaska is most likely cancelled, she would be closer to the ports of call, if/when she resumes the Vancouver to Sydney voyage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 1:00 PM, Heidi13 said:

As Alaska is most likely cancelled, she would be closer to the ports of call, if/when she resumes the Vancouver to Sydney voyage.

Not just "most likely" -- is cancelled. Announcement yesterday on Viking.TV in Tors Corner (https://viking.tv/episode/tors-corner-may) and posted to Updates on Current Sailings (https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html) is that the suspension of operations will continue through August 31. Thus, Orion's first planned cruise (unless things change again) will be out of Tokyo on 16 Sept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CharTrav said:

Not just "most likely" -- is cancelled. Announcement yesterday on Viking.TV in Tors Corner (https://viking.tv/episode/tors-corner-may) and posted to Updates on Current Sailings (https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html) is that the suspension of operations will continue through August 31. Thus, Orion's first planned cruise (unless things change again) will be out of Tokyo on 16 Sept.

 

In addition, Canada extended the ban on cruise ships to Oct 31st this morning. It now applies to vessels with a compliment of over 100. Therefore, no foreign flag ships can sail to Alaska from US Ports without crossing the Pacific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heidi13 said:

 

In addition, Canada extended the ban on cruise ships to Oct 31st this morning. It now applies to vessels with a compliment of over 100. Therefore, no foreign flag ships can sail to Alaska from US Ports without crossing the Pacific.

By the way -- you were the one who made a post to my combined cruise schedule thread about the cancellation announcement!  😃

Btw -- what does "sail to Alaska from US ports without crossing the Pacific" mean?  Regulators word things in the strangest ways! Is the ban on foreign flagged ships docking in the US still in force?  or until when? Conceivably ships could depart from Seattle bypass Vancouver BC .. and head up the Inner Passage but who wants to go through all the logistical hoops to make that kind of change? In any case, the Canadian government is letting science and medical experts be their guide.  Good for them!   I have a lot of family (cousins and their children and grand-children) who live in BC btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Char,

I am sure Andy will weigh in but I also operated ships in those areas.  As I read the latest Canada ruling on cruise ships, it states that Foreign Flag vessels with over 100 overnight accommodations (passengers and crew) will not be allowed to operate in Canadian waters.  So, not only are the ports closed but there will be no transiting of the inside passage or even the outside route in Hecate Strait.  If any non Canadian passenger ships want to sail to Alaska from the US they must sail out into the Pacific Ocean and also make another foreign port.  In other words, no HAL trips from Seattle to Ketchikan without a stop in Mexico or Japan or, well you get the idea.  In short,  I would bet Alaska cruises are not happening this year.  Sad, but it is what it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CharTrav said:

By the way -- you were the one who made a post to my combined cruise schedule thread about the cancellation announcement!  😃

Btw -- what does "sail to Alaska from US ports without crossing the Pacific" mean?  Regulators word things in the strangest ways! Is the ban on foreign flagged ships docking in the US still in force?  or until when? Conceivably ships could depart from Seattle bypass Vancouver BC .. and head up the Inner Passage but who wants to go through all the logistical hoops to make that kind of change? In any case, the Canadian government is letting science and medical experts be their guide.  Good for them!   I have a lot of family (cousins and their children and grand-children) who live in BC btw.

 

Even if Alaska permitted cruise ships, the US PVSA requires foreign flag cruise ships to visit a:

  • Foreign port, if the cruise is R/T or closed-loop
  • Distant foreign port, if the cruise starts in 1 US port and ends in another US Port

Therefore, the ships based in San Francisco R/T to Alaska, could head down to Ensenada to meet the PVSA requirement, but this adds about 700 miles. Seattle based ships would have to head down to Ensenada (about 2,000 mls R/T) or across the Pacific to Russia/Japan. For 1-way cruises, the distant foreign port is a requirement, so Mexico and other central American Countries are not acceptable, so they would have to cross the Pacific.

 

Even if our Federal Govt didn't extend the ban, our Provincial Medical Health Officer stated that cruise ship passengers would be treated the same as any other person arriving in BC and must provide a 14-day quarantine plan upon entry. If it is acceptable, you get to self quarantine, if not, the Provincial Govt manages your quarantine. So no pax could go ashore, board or disembark without completing 14-days of quarantine.

 

Although BC got hit hard at the beginning, no doubt your family are providing the positive results of our social distancing measures. Daily infections often < 10 per day and currently only 6 people in ICU, with no infections throughout the community in the entire Province.  We would like to maintain these numbers, so are complying with the gradual opening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 1:00 PM, Heidi13 said:

Have searched if India is now accepting citizens to return, but no luck.

Andy;

 

Here is India's most recent policy regarding returning crew:

 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/economy/policy/covid-19-government-paves-way-for-return-of-stuck-seafarers-to-homes-issues-guidelines-for-crew-change/articleshow/75291738.cms

 

It appears similar to the USCG attestation of health for all ships (not the CDC requirements for cruise ships), with the addition of a covid test within the port limits for off signing crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Andy;

 

Here is India's most recent policy regarding returning crew:

 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/economy/policy/covid-19-government-paves-way-for-return-of-stuck-seafarers-to-homes-issues-guidelines-for-crew-change/articleshow/75291738.cms

 

It appears similar to the USCG attestation of health for all ships (not the CDC requirements for cruise ships), with the addition of a covid test within the port limits for off signing crew.

 

Thanks Chief - good to read that they are now permitting crew members to get overdue leave, so I suspect this is why Orion is bound for India.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...