COVID19: I am right at the knee but will cruise again, how about you?

chipmaster

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

You betcha!  Unless cruise ships quit packing people in like sardines in the public areas I'm done with cruising.  My future trips will be to all inclusive resorts.

Same illnesses can happen there..anytime you have close gatherings of people...

Also schools, planes, malls, places of worship.  Difference is that reporting requirements are different.   You won't hear about those in the rabid media.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Also schools, planes, malls, places of worship.  Difference is that reporting requirements are different.   You won't hear about those in the rabid media.

Yes you can get the same illness but it doesn't spread like wildfire at an all inclusive like it does on a ship.  Big difference between 1000 people spread out at a resort compared to 4000 people confined on a ship.

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Yes you can get the same illness but it doesn't spread like wildfire at an all inclusive like it does on a ship.  Big difference between 1000 people spread out at a resort compared to 4000 people confined on a ship.

No 4000-pax ships for us!  We sail on ships with 750 or fewer passengers and a high passenger space ratio.   Never crowded.  Confined?  Nope, not that, either.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, Kwaj girl said:

You won't hear about those in the rabid media.

Absolutely. Think Legionairre's disease here. If I recall correctly it started in a hotel during a convention in Philadephia. It has not, by the way, gone away after all these years.

"The number of cases reported to CDC has been on the rise since 2000. Health departments reported nearly 10,000 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the United States in 2018. However, because Legionnaires’ disease is likely underdiagnosed, this number may underestimate the true incidence. More illness is usually found in the summer and early fall, but it can happen any time of year."

I thought Legionnaires' disease was caused by improper maintenance of the HVAC systems.  Kinda unfair to compare to a virus that can be carried and passed on by anyone.  I know when I was responsible for cooling towers, we had to maintain a proper level of biocide and algaecide in the water to prevent Legionnaires' and other airborne pathogens.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, Kwaj girl said:

I stopped going to malls,movie theaters ,etc,years ago.I have not been on a plane in 10 years.I think it is time to give up cruising,my personal preference.

I would not focus on the New York numbers.  Part of the reason they are where they are is because of how they approached and handled the issue.  Same for a few other cities and states.  Look at the broader numbers.  Most western countries have far better numbers/stats that does the US because of preparedness and how they handled the outbreak from a national perspective.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, iancal said:

I would not focus on the New York numbers.  Part of the reason they are where they are is because of how they approached and handled the issue.  Same for a few other cities and states.  Look at the broader numbers.  Most western countries have far better numbers/stats that does the US because of preparedness and how they handled the outbreak from a national perspective.

Actually when you normalized we aren't that bad, lots ahead of US, so sad if we had taken a more pro-active approach, richest with most resources and done more like So Korea or Taiwan?

deaths.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

As long as you don't spend time in NYC, you should be fine.  Their numbers of deaths are grossly overstated.....got run over by a cab?  Hell...it's a coronavirus death!   Use your common sense, and do what YOU feel comfortable with.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't believe all the numbers.  You need to remember the government is giving extra money for people that died of the COVID-19 virus.  The other question is how many of the people were living in a rest home.  I have already booked two cruises for next year and one for 2022.  I thought about booking one for this November but I think I will do a trip to Japan if they open back up.  I am to old to start hiding at home.

Ditto.  We will cruise if and when a safe, widely available vaccine is available or when there is a drug that will render the effects of the virus harmless.    Realistically wee do not expect a safe, properly tested vaccine to be widely available until some time next year.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:39 AM, chipmaster said:

Actually when you normalized we aren't that bad, lots ahead of US, so sad if we had taken a more pro-active approach, richest with most resources and done more like So Korea or Taiwan?

deaths.JPG

Many cultural differences above and beyond being prepared when looking at the US versus other countries.  Also other countries, especially outside of the high income countries aren't really tracking deaths accurately.  I know this for a fact in Mexico where I have both family and friends.

You also need to start drilling into things more specifically by age and other risk factors.  Here is the current data for my home county of San Diego:

1208491778_SDcounty.JPG.4e428c466109e57d8fc4a13f0042b049.JPG

Age and other risk factors make a big difference in relative mortality rates.  As  I said in an earlier post, I am more cautious generally and rightfully so as I am in my 60's versus someone in their 20's or 30's.

Edited by SelectSys