Now for something completely different

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you, we are flying in to Auckland direct from Vancouver. Air New Zealand premium economy, this is the longest flight we have ever done and we hope to be able to sleep. We arrive 0530 hrs. so are a little concerned about what to do with our gear until we can check in. We have booked Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour we hope that is a good choice. Even before we had the positive suggestions for Devonport that was high on or list, Now it is a definite. Again thank you, as time goes by I will be running through our full cruise itinerary seeking knowledge.

Cheers, Lyle

I was in Auckland last February. Myself and two lady friends filled in a morning, pre cruise, by taking the ferry over to Devonport and doing a guided tour of the historic sites on Segways. It's a great way to see the the sights and saves a lot of walking as it is a little hilly. The three of us are all 70 plus. It was my third time doing this tour and I enjoy it every time. For my two friends it was their first time and they loved it. BTW I noticed that luggage could be left at a kiosk on the ferry wharf for a small fee and it is right next to where the cruise ships dock. It is best to pre book as I think the maximum for the tour is six. Google Magic Broomstick Tours for more info.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's not surprising 75% of the world supply of maple syrup comes from Canada and most of that from Quebec which is a long way from me.

What you got maple trees in Canada? LOL

We have a system that the advertised price is the price you pay .not like the US .The US you think that’s a cheap hotel ,until you get the bill. PLUS tax,resort fees,state levy,county environmental tax.

Do you have a system like that Lyle? 

Funny thing about Maple trees in Canada, whoda thunk.

Yes we do, this that and the next tax. Don't forget GST (you would know it as VAT) and PST (provincial sale tax) in some but not all provinces and on some but not all sales. I really like the all included pricing but have a little trouble with the pre-pay in full almost a year in advance. We didn't mind for the place in Port Campbell they made it clear when I booked it. The Quest on Dorcas in Melbourne on the other hand said they "may take payment in advance" when it should have been "will take full payment in advance as soon as you book even if that's 11 months. I may still cancel that for a full refund. Does anyone know a good place for 3 nights in Melbourne?

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes we do, this that and the next tax. Don't forget GST (you would know it as VAT) and PST (provincial sale tax) in some but not all provinces and on some but not all sales. I really like the all included pricing but have a little trouble with the pre-pay in full almost a year in advance. We didn't mind for the place in Port Campbell they made it clear when I booked it. The Quest on Dorcas in Melbourne on the other hand said they "may take payment in advance" when it should have been "will take full payment in advance as soon as you book even if that's 11 months. I may still cancel that for a full refund. Does anyone know a good place for 3 nights in Melbourne?

It's GST here too, VAT is Pommyland. Is there also alcohol tax added to restaurant bills for drinks? I seem to remember that somewhere, US or Canada. Some US states can also add state taxes.

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Usually on their website you get a couple of payment options.

A discounted non refundable pay now

OR pay at check in at a higher price but your credit card will billed if you don’t cancel in a reasonable time .

How much is a box of beer?

Edited by Chiliburn

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Usually on their website you get a couple of payment options.

A discounted non refundable pay now

OR pay at check in at a higher price but your credit card will billed if you don’t cancel in a reasonable time .

How much is a box of beer?

Yes there were many of those that we saw on booking dot com The Quest didn't have that. We were quite happy with all the bookings we did, the Quest was the only surprise.

Please define box, I'm guessing that is 24 bottles we would call that a two four or a flat is 24 cans. The beer I usually buy is 12 bottles and its $22.79 CAD

40 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Does anyone know a good place for 3 nights in Melbourne?

On the roll call for our Melbourne to Auckland cruise there were a lot of recommendations for the Langham? and Travelodge in Southbank. People that stayed in them all said that they were good and easy walking. Another couple stayed near the Queen Victoria market and highly recommended that area.

All trams in the centre of Melbourne are free everyday.

For our holiday in Canada we used Airbnb. Found some excellent apartments in some lovely locations and saved some money. Might be worth a look here too?

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Please define box, I'm guessing that is 24 bottles we would call that a two four or a flat is 24 cans. The beer I usually buy is 12 bottles and its $22.79 CAD

A box of 750ml bottles of beer has 12 bottles. A slab of beer has 24 375ml bottles or cans.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/dm/home a good place to check prices

Thanks Peter, I was answering a question from chiliburn about the beer. We don't really have 750 ml bottles of beer here but we can get a growler of beer at any number of craft breweries in town including the 2 that are a half block from my work. Also thanks for the hotel recommendation I will check that out.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, they will, and the Sebel is in a great location. Easy walking around the Viaduct Basin, Wynyard Quarter, and Britomart Precinct with plenty of good restaurants. I highly recommend Oyster and Chop which is very close to the hotel. Pricey but great food.

I checked out the menu for Oyster and Chop holy you can buy a whole prime rib for that price.🤨

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes there were many of those that we saw on booking dot com The Quest didn't have that. We were quite happy with all the bookings we did, the Quest was the only surprise.

A box or a slab as the Victorians say is 24 ,we usually pay about about $60 . That’s pretty much the same.
 Australians consume a lot of alcohol and is heavily taxed to suppress it.

But Lyle it’s a dry continent and we have to replace those bodily fluids.

Thanks I was curious,I know in the US alcohol is cheap.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I checked out the menu for Oyster and Chop holy you can buy a whole prime rib for that price.🤨

Like I said Lyle NZ is expensive.

Try the occidental hotel Auckland.

We had a wine bucket of mussels in white wine ,butter and garlic  .
Some fish and hand cut chips.

A jug of house beer,2 glasses of house wine.

In a lovely historic building for about $80

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peter1956 said:

On the roll call for our Melbourne to Auckland cruise there were a lot of recommendations for the Langham? and Travelodge in Southbank. People that stayed in them all said that they were good and easy walking. Another couple stayed near the Queen Victoria market and highly recommended that area.

All trams in the centre of Melbourne are free everyday.

For our holiday in Canada we used Airbnb. Found some excellent apartments in some lovely locations and saved some money. Might be worth a look here too?

The Langham is rather expensive, close to $400 a night. Travelodge Southbank is being used for Australians returning home to quarantine. It really depends on how much you want to spend. 

Leigh

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

A box or a slab as the Victorians say is 24 ,we usually pay about about $60 . That’s pretty much the same.
 Australians consume a lot of alcohol and is heavily taxed to suppress it.

But Lyle it’s a dry continent and we have to replace those bodily fluids.

Thanks I was curious,I know in the US alcohol is cheap.

Just an aside, in WA a slab is 30 cans, and a carton is 24 (bottles or cans) All usually 375mls. 6 is a pack. Yep, we are big on fluid replacement. The tax man loves us.🍺

Edited by dizzy1948
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dizzy1948 said:

Just an aside, in WA a slab is 30 cans, and a carton is 24 (bottles or cans) All usually 375mls. 6 is a pack. Yep, we are big on fluid replacement. The tax man loves us.🍺

in New Zealand you have to lean the language .. "Steinlarger"   will help

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

The Langham is rather expensive, close to $400 a night. Travelodge Southbank is being used for Australians returning home to quarantine. It really depends on how much you want to spend. 

Leigh

What about the Grand old Dame ...is it closed at the moment ... afternoon tea at the top end of Collins street was never so good I remember my mother going to town in hat and long white gloves for tea at the Windsor

Edited by VK3DQ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Hi Leigh I see you already found my little plea for information.

The Quest on Dorcas was $498 AUD for 3 nights for a 1 bedroom apartment. I like what I see on the website I just didn't like that they hosed me for full payment 11 months in advance without making it clear they were going to.

We have booked a night at Craig's in Ballarat I hope that is as nice as the photos.

To your question from the other thread we aren't going to be that far west...yet. We are driving Melbourne to Ballarat then to Port Campbell, we have 2 nights there, so maybe a drive west on the great ocean road could probably happen. Why Port Cambell you say? no particular reason, it's close to the Apostles and they say it's best to see those at sunrise and sunset so we can do both from there. We planned the legs to hopefully be a comfortable drive distance. From Port Campbell it's a drive on the great Ocean Road to Wallington for 1 night then on to Philip Island 2 nights. Then we will drop the car and fly to Sydney

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hi Leigh I see you already found my little plea for information.

The Quest on Dorcas was $498 AUD for 3 nights for a 1 bedroom apartment. I like what I see on the website I just didn't like that they hosed me for full payment 11 months in advance without making it clear they were going to.

We have booked a night at Craig's in Ballarat I hope that is as nice as the photos.

To your question from the other thread we aren't going to be that far west...yet. We are driving Melbourne to Ballarat then to Port Campbell, we have 2 nights there, so maybe a drive west on the great ocean road could probably happen. Why Port Cambell you say? no particular reason, it's close to the Apostles and they say it's best to see those at sunrise and sunset so we can do both from there. We planned the legs to hopefully be a comfortable drive distance. From Port Campbell it's a drive on the great Ocean Road to Wallington for 1 night then on to Philip Island 2 nights. Then we will drop the car and fly to Sydney

Have a think about the VUE GRAND at Queenscliffe  its worth a look

• Thanks 1

A couple of different things to do in Auckland, we did a morning sail on an America's Cup training yacht - leaves from Viaduct Harbor, you can help with the steering if that's your thing. Same afternoon we did a winery tour - visited a couple of West coast wineries along with a visit to the Gannet colony. We were there in January and there were lots of chicks.

• Thanks 1

I would reconsider the Quest on Dorcas street because of the location, good quality property. Essentially in a business and tall apartment building area and less suitable for tourists.

Southbank is better placed for attractions, restaurants etc, and very near the main railway station.

Quest on Kavannagh Street.

My sister recently stayed at the Oaks Melbourne and happy with it.

Mantra

Travelodge.

As with various suggestions, it depends on your budget.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

What about the Grand old Dame ...is it closed at the moment ... afternoon tea at the top end of Collins street was never so good I remember my mother going to town in hat and long white gloves for tea at the Windsor

Yes John, The Windsor is closed until the end of April at this stage I believe. Even though it is a 5 star hotel, it is very old fashioned. A friend stayed there a couple of years ago and wasn;t very impressed. Fantastic for afternoon tea though. Beautifully presented and very tasty food.

Leigh