Now for something completely different

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

😁Just a really generous amount.  I just add a few slurps (my slurps of wine are big😉) which would probably, for 12 small parcels, be at least 200ml.  Feel free to add what you judge will do the trick.

BTW, I did a bit of research on the name.  They're called flyaway birds because the filling is what small birds (quail, etc.) are usually stuffed with, and how the hunters' dinners were always prepared.  If the hunt was fruitless, pork or veal was substituted because the birds "flew away".  I know that's probably true because my mother-in-law always stuffed quail with sage and pancetta.  She also added 1/2 clove of garlic to each one (look away, Les😆.  I do too, for quail, but not always.  One thing I personally always add to the quail stuffing is a small wedge of apple.  Cook in exactly the same way as the uccelli scappati.  So yummy.

Years ago we went to a fancy dress trivia night where the theme was The Ides of March. As well as costume prizes they had prizes for best table. My contribution was stuffed quail and I tried to use ingredients that would have been common in Roman times. We also had fruit (especially grapes), cheeses and crusty bread. By what won us the best table prize was the suckling pig that two of our teammates organized. No one could beat that! 🤣

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

It is scripted Mic, they take turns to win so as they can draw bigger crowds, lol.

I am looking forward to Australia v Peru in the World Game next week, hope it is televised.

Agreed, hope they do well and we get to see it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I bet there was a conga line of hopeful guests clutching plates sidling up to your table.  The whole table was magnificent 🐷

That was actually only for our team, the other teams brought their own food, but we did share the pig around later in the evening, it was much bigger than I expected. It was a fun night. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Nailbiter…and a wonderful win.  Lots of sleepy people around today

Yep, me included, got up very early (in WA atm), and then couldn't  get back to sleep.

They played reasonably well but still need to be more clinical in front of goal. 

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, me included, got up very early (in WA atm), and then couldn't  get back to sleep.

They played reasonably well but still need to be more clinical in front of goal. 

That's certainly early.  Yes, Mario says they co-ordinated well, but lacked the individual skills of some of the Peruvians.  Finishing good runs needs a lot of work.  Still, it's been a long and arduous journey, so top marks to Socceroos for reaching this major target.  Wish we could rename our Australian team.  I never use the word soccer, which is originally derived from "Association football" in the UK.  It's football, as it's called just about everywhere in the world except the US.  We'll see what happens next.  Into the serious stuff now.

Well done to the Socceroos, bad luck to the Peruvians.  Bit tough when a match is decided on penalties.

Having been to Peru 3 times when my son lived there for 6 years, I can tell you like other South American countries, football of the round ball variety, Associated Football is a religion in Peru.

Edited by NSWP

49 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Wish we could rename our Australian team.  I never use the word soccer, which is originally derived from "Association football" in the UK.  It's football, as it's called just about everywhere in the world except the US.  

Footballeroos doesn't quite roll off the tongue😝

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Well done to the Socceroos, bad luck to the Peruvians.  Bit tough when a match is decided on penalties.

Having been to Peru 3 times when my son lived there for 6 years, I can tell you like other South American countries, football of the round ball variety, Associated Football is a religion in Peru.

Agree.  Penalty result is a cruel result.  I thought we were done when we missed our first.  You never know though, what’s coming next.  Phew!  It is a religion in so many countries, like Rugby is in NZ.  We need to cheer on NZ now we are through, but then it stops😜

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our beloved cat, Niki, passed away peacefully earlier this evening. He will be missed.😪😪😪

I’m so sorry, Julie.  It’s such a blessing you were able to have him back home with you.  Niki would have known he was surrounded in loving care💜

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. We were lucky to have him home for a couple of days before the end. He was much more relaxed at home and enjoyed snoozing in all his favourite sunny spots, and on my lap in the evenings. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks everyone. We were lucky to have him home for a couple of days before the end. He was much more relaxed at home and enjoyed snoozing in all his favourite sunny spots, and on my lap in the evenings. 

Sorry about your cat but it seems he had a nice goodbye.    They really become part of your life.

• Like 3