Now for something completely different

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes Lyle he was, born in Kent UK, joined the Royal Navy. When his 12 years was up, he joined the merchant navy, did a return voyage to Melbourne and on his return married my great grandmother who was a servant at Windsor Castle. We have no idea how they met! Within days of their marriage they were on their way to their new life in Melbourne. 

Leigh

I think Lyle is trying to hit on you Leigh 

Just now, Chiliburn said:

I think Lyle is trying to hit on you Leigh 

Lyle is married to Lynn, remember. I am fascinated by stories and personal anecdotes. That's why this thread is so open format. It's hard to go off topic when there is no topic😉

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Wow, I have a sorta similar story, My Great Grandfather did a very short hitch in the merchant navy (details very sketchy) After he married my Great Grandmother they moved to Canada for the promise of "Free Land" My Great Grandmother's sister Emma came along, she was a servant in Buckingham Palace (we have the Christmas pudding recipe). Aunt Emma never married and lived here in Victoria until she died.

Very similar story. Both Rob and I have seamen as ancestors and plenty of farming folk. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes Lyle he was, born in Kent UK, joined the Royal Navy. When his 12 years was up, he joined the merchant navy, did a return voyage to Melbourne and on his return married my great grandmother who was a servant at Windsor Castle. We have no idea how they met! Within days of their marriage they were on their way to their new life in Melbourne. 

Leigh

When was that? I had a few n the good old Royal Nav and one was Harbourmaster of Melbourne and for a time all harbours in Victoria fell under his control I understand.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle is married to Lynn, remember. I am fascinated by stories and personal anecdotes. That's why this thread is so open format. It's hard to go off topic when there is no topic😉

Only having a joke 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When was that? I had a few n the good old Royal Nav and one was Harbourmaster of Melbourne and for a time all harbours in Victoria fell under his control I understand.

My great grandparents arrived in Melbourne in 1874. GGF joined the Victorian Navy and then was a boatman for Trade and Customs Dept before becoming a light house keeper at various light houses along the western coast of Victoria. 

When was your ancestor the harbourmaster? My daughter in law’s ancestor was the chief pilot based at Williamstown which is where my great grandparents lived. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My great grandparents arrived in Melbourne in 1874. GGF joined the Victorian Navy and then was a boatman for Trade and Customs Dept before becoming a light house keeper at various light houses along the western coast of Victoria. 

When was your ancestor the harbourmaster? My daughter in law’s ancestor was the chief pilot based at Williamstown which is where my great grandparents lived. 

Leigh

Probably around the same time, Charles Payne actually travelled back TO England to purchase the first ship for the Victorian Navy and was appointed Harbourmaster in 1870 his father was my Great x2 grandmother’s brother, so not a direct ancestor. Paynesville was named after him.

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So, what car hire company should I use?

Hard pick, Avis and hertz are good and I have had good results with Eurocar though others have been unhappy with after return fees. Do you have an affiliation with any chain?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mr Gut. All my ancestor Henry Rayner can lay claim to is having a street named after him at neighbouring Altona. Where did Charles Payne come from? We have an interesting connection with the Victorian Navy though. 

Leigh

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Hard pick, Avis and hertz are good and I have had good results with Eurocar though others have been unhappy with after return fees. Do you have an affiliation with any chain?

Not really, I think we used Enterprise when we were in Europe. We just bought a Subaru Forester and it would be nice to get on of those. The only minor problem is driving on the wrong side of the road😉

Avis, Hertz.

Budget and Thrifty are okay.

Check terms and conditions and any area restrictions, especially for country driving. When I was in Western Australia in Nov/Dec I found there were prohibitions on driving between dusk and dawn when more than (I think) 100 km from Perth.

i will never use one that sounds like Europe car. Bad experiences.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not really, I think we used Enterprise when we were in Europe. We just bought a Subaru Forester and it would be nice to get on of those. The only minor problem is driving on the wrong side of the road😉

Yes, that is what I find in Northern America.😉

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Mr Gut. All my ancestor Henry Rayner can lay claim to is having a street named after him at neighbouring Altona. Where did Charles Payne come from? We have an interesting connection with the Victorian Navy though. 

Leigh

He came from Weymouth, his family tended to either go into the Church or the Navy, his Uncle Served under William Bligh. My first ancestor to arrive in Australia was named Charles Frederick after this fellows dad, and also joined the Navy, gaining Rank of Lieutenant before chucking it in to come to Australia.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Avis, Hertz.

Budget and Thrifty are okay.

Check terms and conditions and any area restrictions, especially for country driving. When I was in Western Australia in Nov/Dec I found there were prohibitions on driving between dusk and dawn when more than (I think) 100 km from Perth.

i will never use one that sounds like Europe car. Bad experiences.

I have heard people have trouble with Eurocar or however they spell it, but I book through the Bar Association so perhaps they treat us different, but I have never had trouble.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I always try to get a car with a similar layout to the one I am used to, but as I only travel locally don’t need to worry about the side of road issue, I’m not sure if that will also give you an issue with why side the indicators are on

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

I always try to get a car with a similar layout to the one I am used to, but as I only travel locally don’t need to worry about the side of road issue, I’m not sure if that will also give you an issue with why side the indicators are on

I think everything is in the same place just the opposite side of the car, that way they can use the same steering column assembly for both markets. Gas pedal on the right brake in the middle clutch on the left if it has one.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

You soon get used to the indicator thing but you do end up turning the wipers on by mistake a few times. A while back we had a Toyota and a baby Mercedes. The Merc had the indicators on the other side to the Toyota. It was weird everytime we tried driving the "other" car.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You soon get used to the indicator thing but you do end up turning the wipers on by mistake a few times. A while back we had a Toyota and a baby Mercedes. The Merc had the indicators on the other side to the Toyota. It was weird everytime we tried driving the "other" car.

We currently have a VW and a Honda (gave the Lexus to the kids) and everything is back to front when we change cars, must be 15 years since both cars were laid out the same. Looked at a Mercedes, but the gear change where I am used to the blinker being worried me, how often I turn the wipers on. Got pulled up once for flashing my lights when I was trying to use the washers.

Okay I have 2 Toyotas and a Subaru, turn signals light switch high/low headlights on the left stock windshield snd rear window wipers and washers on the right stock. Cruise control and a myriad of other functions on the steering wheel. The newer 2 have the phone switches and audio on the steering wheel. Don't even get me started with the Subaru almost as many switches as an F1 car.