Now for something completely different

9 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Indian nights in Kings Court (Buffet) on QM2 simply outstanding.

Far preferable to the mdr.

Yes, the Brit Lines, P and O, Cunard, Fred Olsen and the late CMV carry many Indian chefs and cooks, resulting in excellent Indian cuisine.

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

Classy, well done, I had a cheese and branston pickle sambo. Might be Woolies cottage pie for dinner, not much of a challenge cooking for one, more like I am too lazy.

Know the feeling. Last night I had an Aldi lasagne washed down with Piggs Peake Zinfandel.

We were going to have snags but Lynn wanted Fish & Chips and was paying so no argument from me. She wants to do a little drive up to Duncan tomorrow and have Breakfast at the "Dog House" restaurant while we are up there. The place has been around for years and we enjoy a meal there when we are in the area. They have a widely varied menu including a foot long hotdog.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Know the feeling. Last night I had an Aldi lasagne washed down with Piggs Peake Zinfandel.

Nothing wrong with that, quite a repast. I bought some Barefoot cab sav from dans yesterday, members special, 2 for $13, tried a bottle last night, quite good for the price so went back just now and purchased half a dozen more. Dans is only 5 minutes down the road. Will cook a steak this evening, so another bottle down the hatch, lubbly jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We were going to have snags but Lynn wanted Fish & Chips and was paying so no argument from me. She wants to do a little drive up to Duncan tomorrow and have Breakfast at the "Dog House" restaurant while we are up there. The place has been around for years and we enjoy a meal there when we are in the area. They have a widely varied menu including a foot long hotdog.

You had better send us a pic of brekkie Lyle.

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

Nothing wrong with that, quite a repast. I bought some Barefoot cab sav from dans yesterday, members special, 2 for $13, tried a bottle last night, quite good for the price so went back just now and purchased half a dozen more. Dans is only 5 minutes down the road. Will cook a steak this evening, so another bottle down the hatch, lubbly jubbly.

Not too bad either, we had Pork loin chops, with crackling of course, thick, fried in duck fat potatoes, steamed green beans, and shared a cob of sweet corn. Washed down with a bottle of 2017 Two Churches Riesling from the Barossa.

• Like 1

We had a lovely drive up to Duncan even though it was raining. Sorry Les no picture of the breakfast, it wasn't as good as the famous B52 from Spitfire Grill. They have cut back their menu at the Doghouse. They used the have a chorizo sausage, bacon and 2 eggs with toast and hash browns but alas it's not on anymore. I had the 2 sausage, 2 bacon, slice of ham 2 eggs (basted) toast and hash browns. It was good but no gold star. We stopped a the market for some fresh produce. New nugget potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions (or spring onions or scallions pick whichever term you use in your area) and some nice fennel.

Supper tonight was on a healthy vein, seared Ahi tuna for the protein, Lynn had a green salad and I did up a little Caprese salad with some of the tomatoes we got. We stopped at a very nice organic bakery on the way home and bought some bread, croissants, cheesy pretzel sticks and some excellent cinnamon buns that we had for dessert (not too sweet)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We had a lovely drive up to Duncan even though it was raining. Sorry Les no picture of the breakfast, it wasn't as good as the famous B52 from Spitfire Grill. They have cut back their menu at the Doghouse. They used the have a chorizo sausage, bacon and 2 eggs with toast and hash browns but alas it's not on anymore. I had the 2 sausage, 2 bacon, slice of ham 2 eggs (basted) toast and hash browns. It was good but no gold star. We stopped a the market for some fresh produce. New nugget potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions (or spring onions or scallions pick whichever term you use in your area) and some nice fennel.

Supper tonight was on a healthy vein, seared Ahi tuna for the protein, Lynn had a green salad and I did up a little Caprese salad with some of the tomatoes we got. We stopped at a very nice organic bakery on the way home and bought some bread, croissants, cheesy pretzel sticks and some excellent cinnamon buns that we had for dessert (not too sweet)

All sounds great Lyle, you live well in Canada.

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

All sounds great Lyle, you live well in Canada.

We do so Les, this Island is very special. I am fortunate to be in an area with a very low occurrence of the scourge of the year. We are not really under any lockdown (at least anything that effects our lifestyle). We are able to dine in at a few favourite establishments and take out. We can get whatever we want at the market and Lynn and I have not had our work interrupted.

I do feel for all those friends I have met from down under (especially those from the other Victoria) who have been living under some pretty dramatic restrictions. I admire their fortitude. Be well everyone I hope we may meet in person some day.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We do so Les, this Island is very special. I am fortunate to be in an area with a very low occurrence of the scourge of the year. We are not really under any lockdown (at least anything that effects our lifestyle). We are able to dine in at a few favourite establishments and take out. We can get whatever we want at the market and Lynn and I have not had our work interrupted.

I do feel for all those friends I have met from down under (especially those from the other Victoria) who have been living under some pretty dramatic restrictions. I admire their fortitude. Be well everyone I hope we may meet in person some day.

Thanks Lyle, we have a slight loosening of restrictions as of 11.59 pm tonight - the curfew is gone, we can now meet in public up to 5 persons from two separate families but still within our 5 km limit from home which means we will be able to see our grandchildren and children! Yay! 😀

Primary students will be back at school from October 12th and Yrs 11 and 12 as well. Day care and kinder will also be allowed without any restrictions. Another 127000 employees will be able to return to work. The next step has been brought forward to the 19th October, a week previous to what was originally planned.

Leigh

• Like 1

I'm sure it must seem like we Ducks seem to drive around and eat out a lot, and I guess it is true. We have had Lynn's mom living with us for the last 4 years and didn't really have much freedom to just do what we wanted. She recently moved to assisted living (which has had it's own list of challenges) so we are sort of running amok with our new freedom. Even though some of our favourite restaurants are take out only and one in particular is closed permanently (The best Greek Restaurant in town). We have a few places where we feel safe and the food is very good.

Lynn had a appointment to visit her Mom (don't get me started on those restrictions) which just seems so over the top. We had planned to have a late lunch after the 1:30 visit but the place we were going to have lunch at had a long line so off to the Spitfire Grill a pleasant 20 km drive from where we were. Late lunch became early supper.

I had Surf

Surf.thumb.jpg.185eb17e1baa2214a466414226b69a2c.jpg

and Turf

Turf.thumb.jpg.b22a980629780152ec482da6b0851e32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Lyle. By the way, our State, NSW has had ZERO positive cases the past two days.

I see from your pics you had a prawn starter, some sort of sauce, then a main of beef medallions with a gravy of sorts, so a two course meal  Now you probably know if you requested a surf and turf in OZ, you would get a steak with prawns on top, sometimes beheaded, sometimes not, perhaps with a bernaise sauce.

Like at my favourite eatery, Donegans...

donegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Looking good Lyle. By the way, our State, NSW has had ZERO positive cases the past two days.

That's great news Les, I understand Victoria (the one in Oz) is having some good reports as well. As I said earlier, Vancouver Island is a pretty safe place with very few cases compared to British Columbia as a whole. We do tend to keep to ourselves only seeing co-workers during the work week and the odd visit for professional services. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

That's great news Les, I understand Victoria (the one in Oz) is having some good reports as well. As I said earlier, Vancouver Island is a pretty safe place with very few cases compared to British Columbia as a whole. We do tend to keep to ourselves only seeing co-workers during the work week and the odd visit for professional services. 

We had 5 cases in Melbourne (previous 24 hours) and 3 deaths - from aged care I believe. No cases in regional Victoria. So yes it is looking better for Victorians.

Leigh

• Like 2

22 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Lyle, we have a slight loosening of restrictions as of 11.59 pm tonight - the curfew is gone, we can now meet in public up to 5 persons from two separate families but still within our 5 km limit from home which means we will be able to see our grandchildren and children! Yay! 😀

Primary students will be back at school from October 12th and Yrs 11 and 12 as well. Day care and kinder will also be allowed without any restrictions. Another 127000 employees will be able to return to work. The next step has been brought forward to the 19th October, a week previous to what was originally planned.

Leigh

Get out there and lets get the party started Leigh..

safe_image.gif.a1f0d189f2dcddcf654749f20959b890.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boeckli said:

Lyle and Les - you're making me realise that I haven't had lunch yet ... time to rectify that forthwith (nothing exciting, a turkey-breast sandwich and 1/2 an avocado)

You had better get to it and enjoy.  You could have late lunch and arvo tea together.😀 Have a great afternoon.

afternoon-tea_1.jpg.05bfe5524d8bf3cd63a9d7dc11d5fbfe.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, boeckli said:

Lyle and Les - you're making me realise that I haven't had lunch yet ... time to rectify that forthwith (nothing exciting, a turkey-breast sandwich and 1/2 an avocado)

Sounds very tasty, we really didn't get "lunch" what was supposed to be a late lunch at maybe 2:15 turned into an early supper at around 4:00. Needless to say we were pretty hungry. The baked prawns are very tasty with garlic butter and cheese. I sometimes order the excellent seafood chowder and add some of the melted butter to the chowder and the melted cheese I spread on the toast. The "Yorkie sliders" are one of my favourites, mini Yorkshire puddings topped with roast beast and gravy, there is a horseradish cream drizzle sprinkle of green onions. I don't normally like horseradish but on this it works. Lynn had the afore mentioned seafood chowder.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We had 5 cases in Melbourne (previous 24 hours) and 3 deaths - from aged care I believe. No cases in regional Victoria. So yes it is looking better for Victorians.

Leigh

Great! Even if tomorrow's numbers are a tiny bit higher, it is heading in the right direction.🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds very tasty, we really didn't get "lunch" what was supposed to be a late lunch at maybe 2:15 turned into an early supper at around 4:00. Needless to say we were pretty hungry. The baked prawns are very tasty with garlic butter and cheese. I sometimes order the excellent seafood chowder and add some of the melted butter to the chowder and the melted cheese I spread on the toast. The "Yorkie sliders" are one of my favourites, mini Yorkshire puddings topped with roast beast and gravy, there is a horseradish cream drizzle sprinkle of green onions. I don't normally like horseradish but on this it works. Lynn had the afore mentioned seafood chowder.

I was confused with the pic, so the three brown things with gravy were mini Yorkshire puddings topped with beef etc, how novel.? Got it.  I thought they were beef medallions.

I love roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. I do make it at home but during the summer it gets pretty hot to have the oven on for 4 to 5 hours (I roast on convection roast at about 280 Farenheit to a nice medium). I have a cast iron pan that makes a lovely job for individual yorkies. I steam potatoes to mash and mash them with milk and butter. Peas and carrots for veg such a treat. Now that we are coming into fall I think I should find a nice piece of prime rib.

Edited by Blackduck59

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I love roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. I do make it at home but during the summer it gets pretty hot to have the oven on for 4 to 5 hours (I roast on convection roast at about 280 Farenheit to a nice medium). I have a cast iron pan that makes a lovely job for individual yorkies. I steam potatoes to mash and mash them with milk and butter. Peas and carrots for veg such a treat. Now that we are coming into fall I think I should find a nice piece of prime rib.

Do you have ALDI where you are? They have frozen yorkshires, i dont eat them but would save a lot of cooking.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Do you have ALDI where you are? They have frozen yorkshires, i dont eat them but would save a lot of cooking.

It 's not the Yorkshire puds that take a lot of cooking, it's the beef they accompany. The puds only take about 20 minutes in a hot oven.

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It 's not the Yorkshire puds that take a lot of cooking, it's the beef they accompany. The puds only take about 20 minutes in a hot oven.

Yes indeed, our beef is usually a Bolar roast which is done in a Weber kettle by the low and slow method which produces a very tender result. Average cooking time is 6 to 8 hours depending on the size.

The Yorkies are kind of a triumph every time they puff up nice and large. I have a nasty habit of impatience and don't let them brown dark enough and they often deflate, still very tasty just not as impressive. I shall have to practice more through the fall and over the winter.