Now for something completely different

Thanks Sailaway John there will be no Corona drunk by me on this trip. I have a bit of a rule when traveling, I don't drink beer that I can readily get at home. Besides that, Corona is one of the beers that I would rather not have a beer than drink. I don't drink Molson Canadian or Kokanee either. When we are in New Zealand I will be drinking New Zealand beer and When In Oz it will be Australian beer. Cheers, Lyle

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Sailaway John there will be no Corona drunk by me on this trip. I have a bit of a rule when traveling, I don't drink beer that I can readily get at home. Besides that, Corona is one of the beers that I would rather not have a beer than drink. I don't drink Molson Canadian or Kokanee either. When we are in New Zealand I will be drinking New Zealand beer and When In Oz it will be Australian beer. Cheers, Lyle

Monteiths in NZ,if  you like dark beers, try Monteiths Dark, not quite a stout, more a Porter.   Steinlager is not too bad, although most Kiwis will disagree.  Now in OZ, just drink Coopers, they have all sorts, draught, lager, stout, sparkling ale, pale ale, etc etc, naturally brewed, bottle conditioned and an Australian company. As for Corona, they should have kept it in Mexico, coloured water.

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

You must remember the taste vs temperature rule,         particularly in the outback

That Any cold beer is great once it is over 40 deg

As it doesn't touch the sides...........lol

Don

Bit early for a lager, don old son.🍺

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Bit early for a lager, don old son.🍺

Les it only 20 deg here in melbourne.....  long way to go before 40 deg plus.... lol

Can remember a few years ago sitting at our cabin in Tibooburra.... a cold ale.. and bbq shapes.

it was about 30degs  but the ale was cold and we had bought the entire stock of bbq shapes in town

Two Packets....lol 

Just came back from Camerons Corner... the road back was a shocker... went there via the rabbit proof fence.... Don  with 2nd cup of coffee

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

When I was in Mexico not too long ago, I didn't drink Corona. Dos Equis was my choice there. I can never understand why anyone would shove a piece of lime in a beer unless it was to kill the taste of it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

When I was in Mexico not too long ago, I didn't drink Corona. Dos Equis was my choice there. I can never understand why anyone would shove a piece of lime in a beer unless it was to kill the taste of it.

The lime or lemon it is a yuppy thing, yes it does improve the taste though. Cannot beat ye old Crownies for a Mexican beer.

th.jpg.9ae487dd30d9cdd8d10da80783e8f596.jpg

It is Lynn's birthday today October 3rd here. So she wanted to go to spitfire grill for breakfast, she really enjoys the Belgian Waffles which she gets with a berry compote and whipped cream, there is also a nice little fruit bowl with honeydew melon, cantaloupe and pineapple wit a slice of grapefruit. I had the B52 breakfast. For lunch she wanted a sangy so we came home and I made her a nice shrimp and avocado with lettuce and mayo on very fresh crusty French bread. I had the same but mine had tomato and red onion as well

shrimpy.thumb.jpg.f260537ddcbab234d3f8c6dc89062b33.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It is Lynn's birthday today October 3rd here. So she wanted to go to spitfire grill for breakfast, she really enjoys the Belgian Waffles which she gets with a berry compote and whipped cream, there is also a nice little fruit bowl with honeydew melon, cantaloupe and pineapple wit a slice of grapefruit. I had the B52 breakfast. For lunch she wanted a sangy so we came home and I made her a nice shrimp and avocado with lettuce and mayo on very fresh crusty French bread. I had the same but mine had tomato and red onion as well

shrimpy.thumb.jpg.f260537ddcbab234d3f8c6dc89062b33.jpg

Happy birthday to your Lynn, please pass on my best wishes. Great you had a nice brekkie and lunch. You do spoil your wife, Lyle. Good on you.  I just saw the cake, it got better as the day goes on and you have not had 'supper' yet.

Edited by NSWP

Supper was kind of a let down Les, it was take out salad for her. She wanted to see her Mom and give her a piece of Birthday Cake so that took a couple of hours which was the cooking time for anything special for supper. I will make up for that tomorrow with some seared Digby Scallops to start with a nice pasta sauce made with chicken and peas in a cream sauce enhanced with Peach Schnapps. Served on pappardelle pasta (a dish I created for her on our first date)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn says thanks Julie, we may take you up on that. What's the early spring weather like in Sydney?

Variable. It's been warm and sunny this weekend but will be a bit cooler, and possibly showery, from Tuesday for a couple of days.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how the Fennel and red onion slaw turned out with just a touch of celery seed, it paired well with the seared scallops. The pasta is a particular favourite of Lynn's, I created it for her on our first date.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Fennel salads go very well with seafood.

I use celery seeds in my slaw dressing too, they just add a subtle extra touch.

I kept it really simple, I just sliced the fennel and red onion quite fine. I did use a mixture of 2 different bottled dressings (coleslaw and ranch) and added the celery seed. Digby Scallops are always a treat and I got the sear just right the pan was hot enough to get some colour on the scallops but not too hot to burn the butter, just that wonderful brown butter flavour. 

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I kept it really simple, I just sliced the fennel and red onion quite fine. I did use a mixture of 2 different bottled dressings (coleslaw and ranch) and added the celery seed. Digby Scallops are always a treat and I got the sear just right the pan was hot enough to get some colour on the scallops but not too hot to burn the butter, just that wonderful brown butter flavour. 

Are the scallops from Vancouver Island?  Our scallops are much smaller, with a little red bit on the side.  We had them for breakfast again today.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Are the scallops from Vancouver Island?  Our scallops are much smaller, with a little red bit on the side.  We had them for breakfast again today.

Those particular scallops were labeled "East Coast" but I suspect are from Digby Nova Scotia.

We have Calico scallops and bay scallops which are quite small. There is a scallop farm somewhere around Parksville on Vancouver Island. I have had those and they are very good, slightly smaller than a Digby scallop but much larger than the small Bay and Calico types. Those scallops were about 25mm thick and 32 mm across.

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Those particular scallops were labeled "East Coast" but I suspect are from Digby Nova Scotia.

We have Calico scallops and bay scallops which are quite small. There is a scallop farm somewhere around Parksville on Vancouver Island. I have had those and they are very good, slightly smaller than a Digby scallop but much larger than the small Bay and Calico types. Those scallops were about 25mm thick and 32 mm across.

Nice to have such a variety of scallops.  We only have the one small size, but they are delicious.  

I loved the availability of seafood in Canada and Alaska, in particular.  

So there I was lounging in my La-Z-Boy listening to tunes on you tube, standards from my youth and a little older. Soothing message songs...Turn Turn Turn, Teach your children well, and a great live version of "I can't help falling in love with you" performed by Arlo Guthrie (what makes it great is the story he tells in the performance) with an appearance by Pete Seeger. Just to mellow out before bed and what pops up but "The Lumberjack Song" so now I have to start all over to recover from that.😟