11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

"The Lumberjack Song" 

Lyle do you mean the Monty Python One.......... OMG

Sooooo relaxed......... then  I"m a lumberjack and I'm okay........ lol

That is when you press the Reset Button..........and have a night cap

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes Don the Monty Python one. The haunting excellence of Karen Carpenter in my ears right now. Maybe some Allison Kraus next.

I like your Michael Buble and Celine Dion, Lyle. They are superstars, bigger than  Timmy Horton.

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

I like your Michael Buble and Celine Dion, Lyle. They are superstars, bigger than  Timmy Horton.

I like Michael Buble more than Celine but I lean more to classic rock for the most part so our Canadian rock legends include Neil Young, Randy Bachman (The Guess Who & BTO) Burton Cummings (The Guess Who and solo) Brian Adams and others. For my wind downs I tend towards 60s and 70s easy listening, and I do like a lot of "Country: music.

I do have quite a lot of stuff on vinyl but the B&O turn table is packed away. I will probably leave it that way until we "down size" to a smaller place

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

but I lean more to classic rock for the most part so our Canadian rock legends include Neil Young,

"Hey, hey, my, my
Rock and roll can never die"

The great Neil Young. One of my favourite performers.

16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So there I was lounging in my La-Z-Boy listening to tunes on you tube, standards from my youth and a little older. Soothing message songs...Turn Turn Turn, Teach your children well, and a great live version of "I can't help falling in love with you" performed by Arlo Guthrie (what makes it great is the story he tells in the performance) with an appearance by Pete Seeger. Just to mellow out before bed and what pops up but "The Lumberjack Song" so now I have to start all over to recover from that.😟

Some good music there mate.

• Thanks 1

In times past I was more Bob Seeger than Pete Seeger.

I really started getting into music during the surfing craze of the 60s. The first LP was "Bombora" by the Atlantics. Then along came The Beatles, Stones and Merseyside sound, I was hooked. Also a fan of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, Cream, Queen, CCR et al. I played guitar in a band back in 69 but Nasho, followed by marriage and family, put an end to that. I have a Rock-Ola jukebox and a collection of 900+ vinyl 45s, mostly 60s and 70s.

Still play guitar for my own enjoyment. Was never an Elvis, classical or country fan but I do like Andre Rieu's version of Ravel's Bolero, (it's on You Tube).

I had my slightly older cousin visit the other day and told her it was her fault I am a total Beatles freak to this day, and now my kids (in their Thirties) say it is Barb’s fault that they got hooked too. My play lists are almost 100% from the 60’s. Beatles, Beach Boys, hollies, kinks,

• Like 1

My musical tastes a widely varied. I am definitely a "Classic Rock" type guy but not huge on hard rock. In the past I have pulled my hard earned dollars out of my wallet for concert tickets including The Moody Blues (3 different shows, I had front row center for one), Elton John, Lionel Richie, Simon and Garfunkel, Supertramp, Bryan Adams and Garth Brooks. There are quite a few more I was fortunate enough to see the brilliant "professor of the drum kit) Neil Peart at 3 Rush concerts, I was truly sad when he passed away earlier this year. Music is a wonderful thing.

A little story to make you green with envy (well it did me anyway) -a mate in the USA is a guitar technician, that involves making sure the guitars are spot on to start the concert after being loaded on and off trucks, adjusting the neck, the pickups the bridge and tuning them, so when the guitarist starts just a minor tune.

So he knows it is a Ringo concert and there are a stack of guitars to get done, he has been at it for a few hours and hears someone setting up the drums behind him. Then on his last guitar decides to get into a little jamming, and the drummer joins in, after about 5 minutes he decides he better call it quits, does a final tune, turns around and sees who was setting up Ringo’s drum kit.

it was Ringo himself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I had my slightly older cousin visit the other day and told her it was her fault I am a total Beatles freak to this day, and now my kids (in their Thirties) say it is Barb’s fault that they got hooked too. My play lists are almost 100% from the 60’s. Beatles, Beach Boys, hollies, kinks,

You may recall radio quizzes in Newcastle in the early 60s. On Saturday mornings 2HD (IIRC) had such a quiz. The DJ would ask a question and first to ring through with the correct answer would win a 45. Well, I managed to do that and won a 45. I don't remember what the question was but I remember having a choice of one of two 45s for my prize. Choice was "Love Me Do" - The Beatles or "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen. I chose Surfin' Bird. Doh. I hadn't heard of The Beatles at that point in time.🤪

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

You may recall radio quizzes in Newcastle in the early 60s. On Saturday mornings 2HD (IIRC) had such a quiz. The DJ would ask a question and first to ring through with the correct answer would win a 45. Well, I managed to do that and won a 45. I don't remember what the question was but I remember having a choice of one of two 45s for my prize. Choice was "Love Me Do" - The Beatles or "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen. I chose Surfin' Bird. Doh. I hadn't heard of The Beatles at that point in time.🤪

Some poor choices can haunt you for a lifetime. What are the "Trashmen"

Well I will have to talk about my favourite spectator sport... Formula 1 racing, I have been watching for almost 50 years. I was watch coverage of the race when Niki Lauda crashed at the Nordschleife, Cheered for Nigel Mansell, was shocked and saddened as I watched the race on TV when Ayrton Senna lost his life in Imola and Endured the years of Michael Schumacher, it just didn't seem fair, his talent matched with a remarkable car seemed to be too much. Now I find myself watching a new streak of dominance by a focused team with truly the most talented driver of his era. Lewis Hamilton matched the career wins record by Michael Schumacher and in a show of complete class by the Schumacher family, Michael's son Mick presented Lewis with one of Michaels race worn Helmets. 

Just watched a clip from 1964 of Surfin' Bird by the Trashman..... yes i remember it... but never knew who did it.....

Growing up by grandfather made we listen to classical music... while dad was into big bands, and jazz,  and Sir Francis Albert ..... Louis and Bix.....

I remember in the early 60's walking past  Louis at the southern Cross in Melbourne.

Music  it something to be enjoyed....  CHeers Don

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Won a lot of stuff off radio stations over the years. Never a beatles record though, but tickets to Beach Boys and America once.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 7:28 PM, GUT2407 said:

Won a lot of stuff off radio stations over the years. Never a beatles record though, but tickets to Beach Boys and America once.

You mean to the USA or America the group ?  I could not win a drumstick in a pub chook raffle.

Edited by NSWP

Just a quick note of appreciation to Julie for the "Where was I" thread; so much fun, so many photos.

Every time I stray away from the Australia/New Zealand section I find a bunch of angry people arguing over stuff. I'm not sure why I go there.

By the way does anyone in Australia think your Parliamentary Democracy resembles the United States system of Government?

Don't want to get into "politics" just curious.

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just a quick note of appreciation to Julie for the "Where was I" thread; so much fun, so many photos.

Every time I stray away from the Australia/New Zealand section I find a bunch of angry people arguing over stuff. I'm not sure why I go there.

By the way does anyone in Australia think your Parliamentary Democracy resembles the United States system of Government?

Don't want to get into "politics" just curious.

Our system follows the Westminister model, not that other thing.

Probably very similar to yours. Assuming you have 2 elected houses. 

Edited by Docker123

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Our system follows the Westminister model, not that other thing.

Probably very similar to yours. Assuming you have 2 elected houses. 

Thanks Adrian (I hope I got that right, I need to make a cheat sheet, screen name/real name)

We have the "Elected" house of Commons and the "Appointed" Senate (A very expensive bunch of patronage appointments that are appointed for life) Other than that I think Canada and Australia are very similar systems. We don't have mandatory voting or proportional representation though.

We have compulsory voting. It is also a preferential system, not first past the post.

For the House of Representatives, it is specific electorates, not proportional. 

The Senate is also elected, but with the same number of senators for each state. Six year term, half elected each 3 years.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you. It's turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected it to be, plus it gives us all some virtual travel.

• Thanks 1