Now for something completely different

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay I have 2 Toyotas and a Subaru, turn signals light switch high/low headlights on the left stock windshield snd rear window wipers and washers on the right stock. Cruise control and a myriad of other functions on the steering wheel. The newer 2 have the phone switches and audio on the steering wheel. Don't even get me started with the Subaru almost as many switches as an F1 car.

That is the opposite to Toyota’s here, turn etc on right wipers on left. I frequently hire a RAV 4 as it is so similar to our Lexus (that was)

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

You can stay overnight in the Lighthouse Keeper cottage.  We really enjoyed it.  Either self cater or have dinner delivered early by the chef before the site closes down.

Do you mean the Lighthouse Lodge? It was actually the harbour master's house, not the lighthouse keeper's. This house was built around 1910-11, many years after the stone lighthouse keepers' cottages which are part of the Flagstaff Hill precinct.

Leigh

It was a very old stone house and was rumoured to have a ghost. Their were three of us staying there and we were the only ones staying overnight.  All staff left for the night and we heated up soup, quiche and apple pie prepared by the chef.  We got to wander around that night but it was cold and very windy.  We will never forget this stay.  Just checked it was the lighthouse keeper's cottage according to their web site.

Edited by dillpickle48

58 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

58 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Lightkeeper’s Cottage is a homely heritage property in a stunning location. Built in 1857, the Lightkeeper’s Cottage gives guests an insight into the domestic life of the Lightstation’s first keepers.

1988021981_ScreenShot2020-04-15at4_55_55PM.png.cffbee755579978ff4666585c509de35.png

Thank you, could you provide a link to the website with the cottage on it please? When did you stay? Last time I was at Flagstaff Hill, about three years ago I can’t remember the cottage being painted white, I thought it was brown stone. It was also set up as a museum if I remember properly. I’m quite confused.

Leigh

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay I have 2 Toyotas and a Subaru, turn signals light switch high/low headlights on the left stock windshield snd rear window wipers and washers on the right stock. Cruise control and a myriad of other functions on the steering wheel. The newer 2 have the phone switches and audio on the steering wheel. Don't even get me started with the Subaru almost as many switches as an F1 car.

You'll find the position of the lights and wipers reversed on Aussie cars. Lights, indicators, etc are on the right, windscreen wipers and washers on the left. I'm not sure whether the steering wheel stuff is reversed or not

Cruise control is usually on the right.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You'll find the position of the lights and wipers reversed on Aussie cars. Lights, indicators, etc are on the right, windscreen wipers and washers on the left. I'm not sure whether the steering wheel stuff is reversed or not

Cruise control is usually on the right.

Not quite correct. That applies mostly for Japanese, S Korean brands but European brands like BMW, VW, Audi etc are the other way round, as mentioned by others.

I've rented from Europcar quite a few times without any problems. I usually specify an SUV hoping to get a Forester (I own one -  a diesel) but the last three times I've ended up with Mitsubishi ASX. I prefer the Forester.

So Avis is quite allot cheaper than Hertz. Interesting selection of cars, I see the Kluger looks an awful lot like what we know as a Highlander here. I happen to own one of those but ours quite a bit older. I really hope to get a Forester we just bought one of those and really like it; comfortable and great visibility. 

Blackduck59 I supported Canada and  replaced my good old 13 year Aussie Falcon station wagon, full of rust, with one of your Ford as you call them over there a Ford Edge ST and still learning how to drive it after the Falcon which was only basic. The wipers and indicators are back to front from the Falcon, it beeps at me all the time telling me I am wrong etc etc. Dare not try the self parking. It has even a label attached to the front window screen saying Thank you  from the men and women at the Oakland Assembly 😀

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So Avis is quite allot cheaper than Hertz. Interesting selection of cars, I see the Kluger looks an awful lot like what we know as a Highlander here. I happen to own one of those but ours quite a bit older. I really hope to get a Forester we just bought one of those and really like it; comfortable and great visibility. 

I don’t think I have ever seen Subarus offered by the regular rental companies here. They usually go for fleet type cars, with a few specialties upmarket.

Kluger is a large beast. ASX the Mic mentioned is medium sized Mitsubishi SUV. Quite nice to drive.

• Thanks 1

I am familiar with the Kluger as I said they call it a Highlander here, I looked at one to buy to replace my 2006 Highlander. They have just gotten too big, and the Rav4 is ugly. That's why we bought the Subaru Forester. 

I have seen the Nissan xtrail listed, we call that a Rogue. We have a Mitsubishi dealer here but they aren't that popular. I'm not that concerned about what we get, you can't count on the rental company every description has the "or similar" note. We are only 2 but will have gear for a 4 week vacation plus whatever stuff we buy. I would like to get a new Akubra hat. All we need is comfortable seats and legroom in front decent fuel economy and GPS.

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am familiar with the Kluger as I said they call it a Highlander here, I looked at one to buy to replace my 2006 Highlander. They have just gotten too big, and the Rav4 is ugly. That's why we bought the Subaru Forester. 

I have seen the Nissan xtrail listed, we call that a Rogue. We have a Mitsubishi dealer here but they aren't that popular. I'm not that concerned about what we get, you can't count on the rental company every description has the "or similar" note. We are only 2 but will have gear for a 4 week vacation plus whatever stuff we buy. I would like to get a new Akubra hat. All we need is comfortable seats and legroom in front decent fuel economy and GPS.

This from a NSW paper today. Petrol is below $1 in most areas.

3e0e6cb6b44c3bc64e6f4104819390b2

Gas under a buck, isn't that grand. We are about the same here, I'm not holding my breath that it will stay like that when we get there. Assuming your Government lets us in and we aren't burned at the stake by an angry mob when we disembark our cruise ship.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Gas under a buck, isn't that grand. We are about the same here, I'm not holding my breath that it will stay like that when we get there. Assuming your Government lets us in and we aren't burned at the stake by an angry mob when we disembark our cruise ship.

Dont worry , we will put the fires out with buckets of beer .......... and I'm a happy boy with my GT Line Kia Sportage...very happy with it no issues at three years of onership

Regards

John

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Dont worry , we will put the fires out with buckets of beer .......... and I'm a happy boy with my GT Line Kia Sportage...very happy with it no issues at three years of onership

Regards

John

Yes please you can use Foster's for that and then we can enjoy some proper beer😁

I do like the Kia, they have way better styling than Hyundai. That being said the colour selection here for the Kia was boring. We like Toyota but they are getting uglier by the year. The Forester was the right size and we like the style, made in Japan. Ours is what they call a "Limited" here almost all the bells and whistles. And we like the red with black leather interior, the "Premier" has a brown leather interior.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes please you can use Foster's for that and then we can enjoy some proper beer😁

I do like the Kia, they have way better styling than Hyundai. That being said the colour selection here for the Kia was boring. We like Toyota but they are getting uglier by the year. The Forester was the right size and we like the style, made in Japan. Ours is what they call a "Limited" here almost all the bells and whistles. And we like the red with black leather interior, the "Premier" has a brown leather interior.

We normally use used beer for fighting such fires.. (grin) Yep KIA couler schemes are somewhat sparse . mine is the two tone light gray leather  inside with Mercury blue exterior ..the GT line is top of the range it was a 70th birthday prezzie from the MIL  not a bad old stick :=)

Edited by VK3DQ

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

Do you mean the Lighthouse Lodge? It was actually the harbour master's house, not the lighthouse keeper's. This house was built around 1910-11, many years after the stone lighthouse keepers' cottages which are part of the Flagstaff Hill precinct.

Leigh

Hi Leigh 

I should have mentioned the International Lightship an Lighthouse weekend , a regular amateur radio event that takes place around the world each August to celebrate the work of the People involved and to encourage knowledge of lighthouse people

http://vk5cwl.weebly.com/illw.html

and dont forget the song " I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper and keep him company"

regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ
  • Like 1

If you are returning your rental to the same place - you could look at Apex.  We hired a Mitsubishi Outlander in Tasmania last month & were very pleased by the staff at Hobart & the car. Apex are off airport at Melbourne & an Outlander goes for under $20/day. Outlanders are very near the same size as Subaru Forester. 

3 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

If you are returning your rental to the same place - you could look at Apex.  We hired a Mitsubishi Outlander in Tasmania last month & were very pleased by the staff at Hobart & the car. Apex are off airport at Melbourne & an Outlander goes for under $20/day. Outlanders are very near the same size as Subaru Forester. 

We have a Mitsubishi Outlander and love it!! When the ASX came out, my husband insisted we go and "have a look at it. We are not going to buy, but I just want to look at it". Oh, yeah!! We left the dealership after singing a contract for a new Outlander.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I don’t think I have ever seen Subarus offered by the regular rental companies here. They usually go for fleet type cars, with a few specialties upmarket.

Kluger is a large beast. ASX the Mic mentioned is medium sized Mitsubishi SUV. Quite nice to drive.

The ASX is 2WD. I drove one from Sydney to Newcastle in heavy rain and and it did inspire any confidence at all. By comparison, the Forester is a delight to drive with its symmetrical AWD in all conditions.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The ASX is 2WD. I drove one from Sydney to Newcastle in heavy rain and and it did inspire any confidence at all. By comparison, the Forester is a delight to drive with its symmetrical AWD in all conditions.

The VIP'er has a Kia Seltos on order supposed to be a very nice medium sized SUV

but delivery dates are all over the place something like a six month wait

Edited by VK3DQ

Just now, VK3DQ said:

The VIP'er has a Kia Seltos on order supposed to be a very nice medium sized SUV

I almost went for a Kia Sportage over the Forester but chose the Forester as it was manual and Sportage was auto only (diesel versions). I really like the Kia Stinger, I'm a little tempted, but the Forester is more practical for my needs. The Forester replaced a Kia Cerato that we had for 5 years and could not fault it but it was not up to towing a caravan we had bought.

Oops, straying OT again. Sorry.