Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Last time I was in UK, mid 2018, there was a heatwave it was 28c, staying at holiday inn, Huntingdon Racecourse, Lincolnshire, we had great ac, new hotel.. The locals who had no ac were flocking to the bar and bistro to keep cool. Some wanted to sleep in the hotel foyer, denied.

My wife and I went out of the hotel for a walk in the arvo, the duty manager at hotel said, dont go out, it is boiling, which is a favourite pom term, It was lovely in the 26c day. The poms drinking lagers in the bar thought we were nutters.lol

Les, my daughter and son in law were in the UK summer 2006 when they did have a heat wave. It reached 36 in most parts. They were in London at a West End show one evening and at intermission cold bottles of water were given to all patrons. They stayed with an elderly relative who had had her windows sealed for safety, so they couldn't even get any fresh air and of course there was no air con!

Leigh

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

Les, my daughter and son in law were in the UK summer 2006 when they did have a heat wave. It reached 36 in most parts. They were in London at a West End show one evening and at intermission cold bottles of water were given to all patrons. They stayed with an elderly relative who had had her windows sealed for safety, so they couldn't even get any fresh air and of course there was no air con!

Leigh

The Brits are not geared up for the heatwaves, only the newer hotels and newcshopping centres have ac. They do get mid 30 temps there, but very rare, it got to about 30 when i waa there mid 2018.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Remember when I first went to UK in the mid 70s. Three days of no rain was a drought.

Temp approaching 30C, roads melting and catching fire.

Warm beer. Ask for a soft drink, off the shelf. No refrigeration involved.

Indeed and it used to be hard to get ice for ones drink in a pub. They used to have bottles of beer, like IPA, soft drink, mixers and wine on a shelf behind bar, ok in winter, not in summer.  These days pubs in UK always have a few cold lagers on tap, like Stella, Carling, Kroneburg, Carlsberg, Heineken and often Guinness Extra Cold on tap. They still have the cask beers though, cellar temp.

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The level of humidity makes a difference. 25C and high humidity can feel horribly hot but 30C with very low humidity can feel very pleasant.

Lyle, if you get to Hobart when you come down under make sure you go up Mt Wellington. The views are fantastic. However take a warm layer. It's only about half an hour by car from the wharf but it can be 10-15C cooler up there. It's above the treeline with alpine vegetation.

Thanks Julie, the new itinerary does stop in Hobart and we will definitely look into getting up there.

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

Lyle if you are down this way between Sydney and Melbourne on the coastal route in 2022, I promise, If  I am still kicking, I will take you and the Mrs Duck to Donegans for the oysters and steaks.

Thanks Les but hold the Oysters for us. When we had to postpone to 2022 the cruise itinerary changed and the cruise ends in Sydney rather than Melbourne so the road trip to Melbourne was back on.

We have just started planning that and Batemans Bay is the first overnight stop. We'll need a recommendation for accommodation.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie, the new itinerary does stop in Hobart and we will definitely look into getting up there.

We just did a deal with a taxi driver at the terminal. $100 to take us up there, wait while we had a bit of a look around, and take us back to town. We actually gave him $120 as we spent a little longer wandering around than we expected. 

There was a HoHo bus but it wasn't cheap and only ran once an hour so once you got off at the top it would be an hour until the next one arrived. We went up and back in just over an hour.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm watching Mystery Road season 2, I don't know if I like it so far. I did find the first series interesting and it took a while to figure out how everyone fit together.

I did enjoy it, although violent in parts. I like Aaron Pedersen's acting and I think he was really good in the series. 

Leigh

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, possum52 said:

I did enjoy it, although violent in parts. I like Aaron Pedersen's acting and I think he was really good in the series. 

Leigh

Really enjoyed the first but we found the second was slow and stretched out, so we gave up on it. We both enjoy watching Aaron Pedersen, he can bring a great intensity to his character.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Really enjoyed the first but we found the second was slow and stretched out, so we gave up on it. We both enjoy watching Aaron Pedersen, he can bring a great intensity to his character.

Yes, I agree re Aaron Pedersen, he is a great actor.

Leigh

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 12:55 PM, possum52 said:

Yes, I agree re Aaron Pedersen, he is a great actor.

Leigh

I do like Aaron Pederson, I have seen him in some other shows as well. (whatever we can get here in the great white north) I just saw the last episode of season 2 of Mystery Road and didn't find it that satisfying. How many times do you miss the same criminal? Oh well I hope there is another season, maybe a bit better than this one. Interestingly the show is on the "Aboriginal Peoples Television Network).

• Like 1

So a shift from Mystery road. 

The guy that is repairing the disaster left by the builders next door came by today. He is an avid angler so he dropped of some fish. I cooked up the Halibut and we had it with a nice spinach salad. As you can see halibut is a firm fleshed fish with quite a course texture. Halibut is considered a pretty desirable catch around here

Halibut.thumb.jpg.a0fdc865b06936d72863224129474655.jpg

I had a bit of Bernaise sauce which was a nice addition.

• Like 1

He gave us some halibut, ling cod and smoked salmon. We like halibut so that was first up. I wish we have the ling cod a couple days ago when I made the chowder. Cod is often used for fish and chips here but I don't really like deep frying at home so I'll have to come up with something creative, maybe wrapped in phylo. I would normally put cod in my chowder, alas I made that on Friday.

Edited by Blackduck59

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

He gave us some halibut, ling cod and smoked salmon. We like halibut so that was first up. I wish we have the ling cod a couple days ago when I made the chowder. Cod is often used for fish and chips here but I don't really like deep frying at home so I'll have to come up with something creative, maybe wrapped in phylo. I would normally put cod in my chowder, alas I made that on Friday.

If it's similar to the ling we get here I don't think wrapping it in filo would be a good idea as it can be a bit watery and would make the phylo soggy. However wrapping in foil and/or parchment/baking paper would work, then bake in the oven. Add whatever seasonings and vegetables you like and seal well. It will create it's own "sauce". Maybe sit it on a layer of thinly sliced potato and onion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I do like Aaron Pederson, I have seen him in some other shows as well. (whatever we can get here in the great white north) I just saw the last episode of season 2 of Mystery Road and didn't find it that satisfying. How many times do you miss the same criminal? Oh well I hope there is another season, maybe a bit better than this one. Interestingly the show is on the "Aboriginal Peoples Television Network).

I was watching my younger grandson playing cricket on Saturday and was talking to one of the mothers about different Australian TV series and she mentioned her brother does a bit of acting, and has appeared in a few shows. He is not a main character actor, just does bit parts. He was in the first series of Mystery Road and was killed off in it.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I was watching my younger grandson playing cricket on Saturday and was talking to one of the mothers about different Australian TV series and she mentioned her brother does a bit of acting, and has appeared in a few shows. He is not a main character actor, just does bit parts. He was in the first series of Mystery Road and was killed off in it.

Leigh

Actually I just googled the actor I mentioned above, whose name is Fletcher Humphrys and he has been in many Australian shows since the 1990s.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Actually I just googled the actor I mentioned above, whose name is Fletcher Humphrys and he has been in many Australian shows since the 1990s.

Leigh

I just checked that out, he was in McLeod's Daughters for one, and looking at his CV I would have seen him in Miss Fisher and Dr. Blake up here.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I just checked that out, he was in McLeod's Daughters for one, and looking at his CV I would have seen him in Miss Fisher and Dr. Blake up here.

As soon as I saw his photo I knew who was - his two nephews who are my grandsons' friends, resemble him.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

He was in the first series of Mystery Road and was killed off in it.

Leigh

39 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It was actually the 2nd series of Mystery Road and he was killed off in it.

Leigh

Take away (we call it take out here) Fish and Chips for supper, always a treat.

1746230463_Fridayfish.thumb.jpg.064a5ed7a5d5d00d9adc0e6eb50ddbb4.jpg

We always get their house made tartar sauce, very tasty. And a good Canadian made with Canada grown tomatoes ketchup (that is for me, Lynn can't have tomatoes) fresh cut chips not frozen.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Take away (we call it take out here) Fish and Chips for supper, always a treat.

1746230463_Fridayfish.thumb.jpg.064a5ed7a5d5d00d9adc0e6eb50ddbb4.jpg

We always get their house made tartar sauce, very tasty. And a good Canadian made with Canada grown tomatoes ketchup (that is for me, Lynn can't have tomatoes) fresh cut chips not frozen.

May I ask what sort of fish Lyle? Looks great, although no tomato sauce for me with fish and chips, tartare sauce, malt vinegar, lemon, fine.