Now for something completely different

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s what we were told,if you have a smash don’t say sorry.

There were a couple other odd ones like a horse and cart always have the right of way, not that you see them anywhere.

I’m not sure about the other ones. Something like a overtaking car has right of way???

Also there’s odd one about intersections.

What we call 'overtaking' is, in NZ, called 'passing'.

If you read the fine print in MV insurance policies you will find somewhere a clause that says you should not admit liability for an accident. Saying "sorry" could be determined as an admission of liability.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

If you read the fine print in MV insurance policies you will find somewhere a clause that says you should not admit liability for an accident. Saying "sorry" could be determined as an admission of liability.

Well that's just great, you may or may not be aware that Canadians are famous for saying sorry.😧

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So while I'm indulging in the fabulous virtual tour on another thread I really am looking for tips on the real cruise and land tour in 2021. So next stop Napier I know vintage car tour and Art Deco city, I also know there is a famous wine region close by. We dock at 0800 and cast off at 1700 so back on board at 1600 at the latest. Can we do the wine and the town in 6 hours? We will also need lunch somewhere. I know food on the ship is plentiful and included in the cost of my fare but part of traveling is trying local things.

You might want to wait a week or so before thinking too much about your NZ excursions - I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas in the virtual cruise.

But, yes, you should be able to combine a quick tour of the town (but maybe not by vintage car) with some winery visits, and many of the wineries have restaurants so lunch would be arranged at one of them on the tour.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well that's just great, you may or may not be aware that Canadians are famous for saying sorry.😧

You will have to learn the haka .

Isnt it good how I’m giving some advice on ashore tour and someone picks up a phrase and turns it into a legal case.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

That's the same thing here though.

Passing here is when two approaching vehicles pass each other. E.G. Narrow bridges with sign saying "No Passing". Overtaking is when one vehicle overtakes another travelling in the same direction.

5 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That's the same thing here though.

So what you are saying is that while I'm driving on the wrong side of the road in an unfamiliar car I should be a calm cool and collected Canadian. But should I crash the car then act like an American and blame the other guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NZ is getting more carefull about renting cars to O/S drivers who drive on right.

Cases of companies calling police when they are alarmed by the way their vehicle is driven away.  One instance police brought back a Chinese family & told the rental company the driver was unfit to drive.

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well so far I'm only thinking one self drive excursion from Tauranga to Rotorua, if I run into this it wouldn't matter what I was in I wouldn't get back to the ship through that. Well maybe a helicopter. 

No sheep just logging trucks heading for the port .

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So what you are saying is that while I'm driving on the wrong side of the road in an unfamiliar car I should be a calm cool and collected Canadian. But should I crash the car then act like an American and blame the other guy.

By Jove, Professor Higgins, he's got it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We were there in 2015 and did not notice. Sorry.😀

DSC03568.JPG

6 hours ago, lyndarra said:

We were there in 2015 and did not notice. Sorry.😀

DSC03568.JPG

Yes the grand old lady, They have done a large renovation on her. They ruined it, stripped off the ivy and destroyed every ounce of class that was in the main dining room.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I had noticed that on a tv show highlighting the Empress that was filmed in 2018, Great Canadian Railways with Michael Portillo

Yes I haven't been in since the renovation, I'm under the impression that unless you are a checked in you aren't welcome in the hotel anymore and the $75.00 price for afternoon tea is astounding. I have no idea how so many people are willing to pay that for tea and sandwiches. We used to go from time to time, never the Empress Room but there was a restaurant called Kipling's downstairs which they closed years ago. Then they closed the iconic Bengal Lounge, the writing was clearly on the wall, our Empress was dead.