Now for something completely different

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I had to hand my Glock 17 Automatic pistola back to the armoury in 2003 mate. Prior to that I had ye olde Smith & Wesson, Model 10 .38 revolver, preferred that one.  

I like the Boss, 'Streets of Philadelphia' is great.  I play it on Youtube nearly every day, as Bruce walks the city streets.

FYI..Tom Hanks will be hosting the ceremony that The Boss is going to sing on..Maybe Streets of Philadelphia will be included!

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I had to hand my Glock 17 Automatic pistola back to the armoury in 2003 mate. Prior to that I had ye olde Smith & Wesson, Model 10 .38 revolver, preferred that one.  

I like the Boss, 'Streets of Philadelphia' is great.  I play it on Youtube nearly every day, as Bruce walks the city streets.

Can you fan a Glock 17 like they doin the old movies?

39 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I've posted this before but I think this song would be appropriate for this time

I got one better Lyle, I was there in Sydney a few years ago.

I think he was 72 at the time,I’d like to be crowd surfing at 72.

Edited by Chiliburn

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

No colonial powers were really kind to the natives, whether they be Spanish, Portugeuse, French, British or whoever. But just remember what the conquistadores did to South and Central America, the Incas and Aztecs, juist about wiped them out. At least the Australian Aborigines survived, albeit a little battered.

A little battered is really a huge understatement 😳. From 250 nations we are down to 120. Travelling around Mexico and Guatemala one thing that impressed me was the preservation of Mesoamerican culture. You could see it in the language, clothes, food, religion and even land management. You don't see that when travelling around Australia. Just last year we blew up 46000 year old cave paintings, we demolished 90% of Aboriginal stone structures, Unesco has declared most Aboriginal languages as nearly extinct, we are only now realising the usefulness of millennia old techniques like cold burning and spending hundreds of millions of dollars trying to resurrect Aboriginal farming techniques because we obliterated 60000 years of acquired knowledge that now we realise we need. I would say our history is on par with conquistadores for one exception they did travel with priests who at least made detailed records of Mesoamerican culture. Hardly anyone did that in Australia😕

Imagine if Germany tried to redeem the holocaust by declaring less people died in the holocaust than Africans under King Leopold II rule therefore holocaust wasn't so bad. No one would accept that argument so I can't see how that can be acceptable with our history. We should just own it, understand its repercussions and learn from it so we improve Indigenous lives and being the optimist I am perhaps we might appreciate our country more🤗 so we stop destroying "important archaeological discovery of human history". 

Deep thinking over, let's get back to some lighter programming 😉

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

@BRANDEE

I heard Carol King and James Taylor are going to preform also?

Yesterday, Sunday, there was a virtual pre inauguration concert. It was a fundraiser. You had to donate to be able to view.  ($25) Both Carol King and James Taylor were performers. Would have loved to see them.  Carol King as a singer/song writer is brilliant.  Enjoy James Taylor's easy soft songs, too.  I'm sure, some time down the road it will be made available for public viewing.

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

This might be a little crass but I have always wondered at these inauguration concerts are these performers paid or this is voluntary because they support the party 🤔

Normally, and I stress the word normally, performers are invited  because they either are favorites of the president/vp or campaigned for the president.  The are not paid but given a hotel room and tickets to the inauguration ceremonies. Of course, some groups are also paid transportation fees, that is usually "local groups" like school bands/choirs. In the past, some famous groups have had to be "lured" into performing with cash. Usually, it is an honor to be asked to perform and there is a long list of performers waiting to be approached.  This year they all get security officers included.  I give Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez a thumbs up for being at the swearing in ceremonies.

• Thanks 1

I was a grad student in the US in 1985 when Ronnie was having his second go.

Our university marching band was invited to be part of the parade. Somewhere around 350-400 students plus assorted others made the trip from Illini to DC.

Anyway, it was so cold, the parade was cancelled. One of the players I was teaching said that, beside windchill etc.,  there was major concerns about their lips freezing to their instruments.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I was a grad student in the US in 1985 when Ronnie was having his second go.

Our university marching band was invited to be part of the parade. Somewhere around 350-400 students plus assorted others made the trip from Illini to DC.

Anyway, it was so cold, the parade was cancelled. One of the players I was teaching said that, beside windchill etc.,  there was major concerns about their lips freezing to their instruments.

Due to covid and added security fears..there is only going to be drum lines from the two university bands.  University of Delaware and Howard University..alma mater of Biden and Harris.  My two sons were trombone players in the marching band and they had to use lip gloss and vaseline on those super cold parade days.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Due to covid and added security fears..there is only going to be drum lines from the two university bands.  University of Delaware and Howard University..alma mater of Biden and Harris.  My two sons were trombone players in the marching band and they had to use lip gloss and vaseline on those super cold parade days.

Perhaps the university bands should be scrapped and be replaced by military bands for this forthcoming function. More security.

Although saying that according to new reports the FBI is vetting National Guard members, concerned about an insider attack.  Plenty of redneck republicans in the National Guard ranks I bet and they have firearms with live rounds, that is a worry.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Perhaps the university bands should be scrapped and be replaced by military bands for this forthcoming function. More security.

Although saying that according to new reports the FBI is vetting National Guard members, concerned about an insider attack.  Plenty of redneck republicans in the National Guard ranks I bet and they have firearms with live rounds, that is a worry.

As more and more "tape" is being reviewed about who were the people involved on Jan 6th, there  is confirmation of id's that some of  the terrorists are former or current police and or military.  Very sad.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

As more and more "tape" is being reviewed about who were the people involved on Jan 6th, there  is confirmation of id's that some of  the terrorists are former or current police and or military.  Very sad.

Having been in law enforcement for 36 years and a bit of military, it does not suprise me, clear and present danger. Stay safe.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

great finish in the cricket, close.

22 to win for india, 35 balls, exciting, better then that b tennis. The cricketers wash their own hair, lol.

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

22 to win for india, 35 balls, exciting, better then that b tennis. The cricketers wash their own hair, lol.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Great win by India.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. Unprecedented times. I am delighted that the transition was peaceful.

Thank you.  In the Celebration "show" tonight, one of the best moments was when Presidents Obama, Bush and Clinton all together give the new president their support. Now I hope Congress can work together too!

• Like 2