for more fun: Linguistic differences re fashions

shipgeeks

The question of why Americans have "bangs" and British have a "fringe" just came up.  Interesting!

When I lived in Australia, I learned a few differences about clothing names.  Some that I recall are:

US:  sweater  or pullover                UK: jumper

jumper                                             pinafore

dress                                               frock

pumps (shoes)                              court shoes

sneakers                                         trainers

costume                                           fancy dress

bathing suit                                       bathing costume

I imagine that there are regional and national differences, too.

Give us some more!

• Like 1

We booked a private excursion in New Zealand a few years back & were joined by two canadian couples ( our tour guide was a Maori New Zealander)  The day started out cold & rainy but warmed up...  you should have seen the look on everyone else's face when I informed DH that I had packed shorts for him if he wanted to take his pants off :classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First thing that came to mind was "vest."   In the US, a vest is something sleeveless worn over a shirt.  It can be a vest worn as part of a suit or tux, or something like my prized down vests that I wear on those "not too cold" days with my long sleeve Ts and jeans.  In the UK, a vest is an undershirt.  I never knew the difference until I heard The Who's "Tommy" and Uncle Ernie asked Tommy to "show me your little vest" and I found out what Uncle Ernie was doing (he was a pedophile)...

• Like 1

Yes, vest!  Now I remember that in Australia, we wore "spencers" under our sweaters or blouses if it was cold; they were a lightweight synthetic fiber undershirt with long sleeves, meant to be hidden under the garment.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:17 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I remember seeing on TV a while ago that in Australia, what we call "flip flops" are known as "thongs".....whereas in the US "thongs" are something else entirely....

Thongs go on your feet,  also know as pluggers here. 

US thongs are called g-strings.

My grandmother wore 'spencers' but by the time we get to my generation they are called singlets. 

• Like 1

Something that causes confusion for men:  a tuxedo in the US is called a dinner jacket in the UK.  I remember when some UK cruisers would complain that they read a dinner jacket was required in the MDR -- they came in theirs (tuxedo) and no one else was wearing one...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I remember seeing on TV a while ago that in Australia, what we call "flip flops" are known as "thongs".....whereas in the US "thongs" are something else entirely....

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I called them thongs but friends called them flip flops.  I grew up on Lake Erie and parents were both from Central Pa.  I don't remember others outside my family calling them thongs though (and didn't know about the other type of thongs).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I called them thongs but friends called them flip flops.  I grew up on Lake Erie and parents were both from Central Pa.  I don't remember others outside my family calling them thongs though (and didn't know about the other type of thongs).

Same here, I grew up in the south (Georgia) and as kids we always called them "thongs".  It wasn't until they became so popular again in recent years (both the footwear and the underwear versions) that my son has drilled into my head that the ones you wear on your feet  are now flip-flops -- in order to spare embarrassing references.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 8:06 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Something that causes confusion for men:  a tuxedo in the US is called a dinner jacket in the UK.  I remember when some UK cruisers would complain that they read a dinner jacket was required in the MDR -- they came in theirs (tuxedo) and no one else was wearing one...

I never saw that; I do remember always seeing "a jacket is required for dinner".  Jacket would be sportscoat or blazer (as opposed to a full suit).  In our earlier days of cruising (1990s), we joked that 99% of men would be in a navy blazer, 1% would be in a different color.

I guess context matters, too.  Jacket on a cruise ship (or restaurant) for dinner is different from "It's cold out, I'm going to wear my jacket".

• Like 1

I grew up calling "thongs" thongs as well...northern CA. 

I know "fanny" packs are unbelievably awkward to UK minds..."fanny" being a slang word for a women's genitalia...

I believe "pants" in the UK are like "panties" in the US...referring to women's undergarments. I told DS when he went to school in London to not say that! Somehow I grew up thinking of "pants" as britches, so when I think about pants, I say britches to myself.

"Vests" in the UK...I thought those referred to what I've always heard called "wife beaters" in the US...the sleeveless style undershirt. "Waistcoat" is the more proper and kind of old-time world for the sleeveless "coat" worn as the option third piece in a three piece suit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I know "fanny" packs are unbelievably awkward to UK minds..."fanny" being a slang word for a women's genitalia...

A bit awkward here too.  So bum bags in Oz. 🙂

• Like 1

US - Garters to hold  up women's stockings   UK - Suspenders

US- Suspenders                                              UK - Braces

US - Pants                                                       UK - Trousers

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, shipgeeks said:

US: pantihose;  UK: tights (right?)

US: tights = heavyweight, usually dark, + what ballet dancers wear

In the US, we get "runs" in our stockings, and I think in the UK you get "ladders"  ??

On 4/14/2020 at 5:54 PM, cruise kitty said:

when I was a kid growing up in S. California, we called flip flops "zories" (late 1960's-early 70's)

When I was a child growing up in NORTHERN California (late 50s-early 60s!) we also called them "zories"  I still do, and no one knows what I'm talking about!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Flip flops in the 50's and 60's in Nebraska were called thongs.  And they were just the simple rubber kind that cost about a dollar.   I could never wear them then or now due to tender feet.  The 'other' kind of thongs were unknown at that time, at least to me.

Here in the US I think trousers is used mostly for the 'pants' that come with suits, or other more formal or dressy styles, both for men and women.  It's not so often used any more, especially for women.  Slacks or pants is used for the less formal long version. in US speak.

I remember being so confused about clothing in books written in Britain, especially 'jumper' and 'vest'.  All those people wearing jumpers, which is kind of a minor style here!  I eventually figured it out, but still have to stop and think sometimes.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1